Revelations

cl@rkey

Featured Posts

I'm guessing most people embarking on such a major change lifestyle try to prepare as much as possible for any and all eventualities, but is there anything that took you totally by surprise when moving onto the water? Something that isn't in the numerous books on the subject, and only an extended stay on the water will teach you?

Probably a daft question, but then I'm daft. :)

i still have fun answering the questions from people i know who find out you live on a boat,ie,do you go to the toilet,what do you do when it rains,can you get all you stuff to fit from your house,i bet its cold,etc etc etc etc lol

When I told the people in my office they were facinated at the prospect of me moving onto a NB, are you a gypsy now one asked? The tiolet question and my favourate, were do u get your food from???

I dont think I laughed so much in my life!

That the swimmy rocking sensation you used to get after boat trips stops happening.

That condensation and damp are more of an issue than cold in the winter.

Totally with you there on both points.

When I told the people in my office they were facinated at the prospect of me moving onto a NB, are you a gypsy now one asked? The tiolet question and my favourate, were do u get your food from???

I dont think I laughed so much in my life!

how much does it cost to live ,what if it sinks,how do you sleep,.then theres the mates banter like do you want to lend a quid for a cuppa now your skint and homeless etc

I think the practical side has pretty much turned out how we expected. I was, however, happily surprised to discover that my then boyfriend (now husband) and I boat very well together. We hadn't lived together before buying the boat, so it was a bit risky, but we barely argue, and we seem to manage very well sharing such a small space. We also work well to solve the problems that have come up, and we cruise well together. :)

These have been some of the best discoveries of our relationship!

People have assumed that it's cheaper to live on a boat than on land.........

(it certainly isn't!)

You are soooooooooo right......its just better :cheers:

Tim

the heat build up in a trad back cabin when you fit a squirrel stove (turkish sauna anyone) in it B)

Oh yes - the Squirrel! Not in a back cabin but our over-enthusiastic piling on of fuel and opening up all the vents led to many an evening sat in our underwear with all the windows open despite the ice outside during our first winter aboard!!

I'm guessing most people embarking on such a major change lifestyle try to prepare as much as possible for any and all eventualities, but is there anything that took you totally by surprise when moving onto the water? Something that isn't in the numerous books on the subject, and only an extended stay on the water will teach you?

Probably a daft question, but then I'm daft. :)

It all depends whether you mean *moving onto* or *moving on* the water .............;)

Thanks for the replies everyone. :cheers:

In my case, I think the scale of the initial learning curve may become my biggest revelation. I've tried to soak up as much info as I can on here and from other sources, but I don't suppose it will be until I'm actually out there living it, that I'll know the true extent of my ignorance. :blush:

It's certainly easy to overplan because the details are never turn out as you actually envisage them. Flexibility in your planning is always a good idea.

When planning an important be aware that stoppages/floods etc can happen at any time.

Oh yes - the Squirrel! Not in a back cabin but our over-enthusiastic piling on of fuel and opening up all the vents led to many an evening sat in our underwear with all the windows open despite the ice outside during our first winter aboard!!

yep that's the one! :cheers:

that I'll know the true extent of my ignorance. :blush:

that's the beauty of it, doesn't matter if your ignorance is great just means every day is a learning curve!

It's certainly easy to overplan because the details are never turn out as you actually envisage them. Flexibility in your planning is always a good idea.

I've already found this. Having looked at various boat layouts I had an 'ideal' one in mind, but now, having looked at a lot more, I have various alternatives that would either be equally satisfactory or in some cases better!

When planning an important be aware that stoppages/floods etc can happen at any time.

Yeah, presumably C&RT will be providing this info on their new site?

that's the beauty of it, doesn't matter if your ignorance is great just means every day is a learning curve!

At some point, I'm going to be single-handing my new boat back to my home mooring. My aim is to learn enough to do so safely and without pissing off anyone on the way (if that's possible!) I'll still make mistakes, no doubt, but hopefully I can keep these to a minimum.

Eventually I'll have to stop being a wuss and just bite the bullet, but, when I do, I don't want to look back and think "you didn't do enough research, you idiot!"

Edited by cl@rkey

The thing that really surprised me was that after numerous years of getting other people (ex-husband/ex-boyfriend or tradesmen) to do jobs, I have found that I like to find out how things work and am happy doing DIY with the added bonus that I'm not too bad at it. There are a huge number of things I don't know but I am loving learning about it. Friends who have boats had said not to worry as they would come and do stuff if I needed and are surprised that I want to do it all - yes I've been pampered but changing now.

Funniest things said to me when people knew I was moving afloat was a) How many times/trips does it take to fill the boat up with the petrol can?? b)Wont you get a bad back bending all the time as the boats I've seen only come to here - as he pointed to his shoulder !! c)After explaining to someone that living in a marina meant that I had a permanent mooring space, a bit like a car park space with my name on it so no one else would "park" in my spot, she said "Well just in case, why don't you just park your car there when you take the boat out" !! It has been these "gems" that have probably most surprised me and made me question some of my friends common sense.... :wacko::lol: