Water levels on the River Soar?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

I'm planning on moving a boat from Barrow up to Sawley over the weekend, so just wondering how high the river is at the moment. Also, if the river is in the red is it a very bad idea to go on it, - and will the lock gates be locked anywhere along this route.

Any info and experience appreciated.

I used to be moored ar Shardlow Marina some years ago, and it so happen's I will be moored there again in a week or so. I personally prefer to be on the river's than the canal's and the Soar is just fantastic. My experience is that it is usually calm other than in extreme weather condition's. I can't see you having any problems this weekend. Are you not familiar with the Soar? Why I ask is because your boat is already on the Soar at Barrow.

I used to be moored ar Shardlow Marina some years ago, and it so happen's I will be moored there again in a week or so. I personally prefer to be on the river's than the canal's and the Soar is just fantastic. My experience is that it is usually calm other than in extreme weather condition's. I can't see you having any problems this weekend. Are you not familiar with the Soar? Why I ask is because your boat is already on the Soar at Barrow.

I'm moving a new boat from Barrow. I do know the Soar well but uncertain of the current levels. Also I was told that the locks have been locked at Redhill due to flooding - something I've never experienced?

If there is no more serious rain over the weekend the Soar will be fine. There are traffic lights at Barrow deep lock - if red stay put on the lock cut. As you are new to the river before leaving Barrow lock walk the 50 or so metres down to Barrow bridge to work out your strategy for going through it - it has very low sprung arches and there is only a few metres to get lined up for it. I try to get as far upstream as I can before putting on power and turning hard as I enter the river stream - see aerial via this link photo. There are traffic lights at Bishop Meadow Lock - again do not pass at red - the flood gates at the entrance to Zouch Cut may well be closed which means you can be left in a very difficult position!! Otherwise there are no other major problems. Just remember going with the stream you will have less control.

Have a good trip - Richard

PS enjoyed the trip down the Trent the other night

Just been in Barrow this evening with friends who came from Normanton to Barrow today. The locks are generally about 2" into the amber at the moment today, the worst bit they found was around barrow bridge below the lock, due to the side flow near Proctors. They are going on but will be coming back this way about Wednesday. We shall be in Loughborough around then too, so if you see a green & red 62' tog, say hello!!!

If there is no more serious rain over the weekend the Soar will be fine. There are traffic lights at Barrow deep lock - if red stay put on the lock cut. As you are new to the river before leaving Barrow lock walk the 50 or so metres down to Barrow bridge to work out your strategy for going through it - it has very low sprung arches and there is only a few metres to get lined up for it. I try to get as far upstream as I can before putting on power and turning hard as I enter the river stream - see aerial via this link photo. There are traffic lights at Bishop Meadow Lock - again do not pass at red - the flood gates at the entrance to Zouch Cut may well be closed which means you can be left in a very difficult position!! Otherwise there are no other major problems. Just remember going with the stream you will have less control.

Have a good trip - Richard

PS enjoyed the trip down the Trent the other night

many thanks Richard very useful info. glad you enjoyed the programme!

Planning on taking our hotel boat pair downstream from on the Soar this week (Mkt Harboro' to Burton). Can't decide whether the river levels are on a downward trend or if they're going to stay high for the next few days. Don't want to risk anything other than green indicator boards when towing downstream. Is there anyone that can advise?

Planning on taking our hotel boat pair downstream from on the Soar this week (Mkt Harboro' to Burton). Can't decide whether the river levels are on a downward trend or if they're going to stay high for the next few days. Don't want to risk anything other than green indicator boards when towing downstream. Is there anyone that can advise?

Welllll.......

We've got rain and showers for the next couple of days - - - so I'd be surprised if it is going to drop by much

The river will not drop by much given the amount of rain we've had in the last few days. Slash Lane at Barrow is flooded which is a good indicator of the river levels.

Surprised at that Richard , as been down the A46 today over the Soar at Syston & also over again on way back at Zouch - Soar looked slightly higher than Normal but not at a level that would flood slash lane ???

Are the flood signs still in place from last weekend I wonder ??

Trent seemed ok at Newark too , although the weir at Nether looked to be faster than usual

No particular colouring in Soar or Trent that I could see

Edit - Just checked EA levels , approaching high normal at Pillings & mid/high at Syston/Kegworth. Rothley brook higher than normal.

Doubt Slash lane is impassible based on this , Soar prob in Amber in the Narrower bits.

Edited by benfordboy

Surprised at that Richard , as been down the A46 today over the Soar at Syston & also over again on way back at Zouch - Soar looked slightly higher than Normal but not at a level that would flood slash lane ???

Are the flood signs still in place from last weekend I wonder ??

Trent seemed ok at Newark too , although the weir at Nether looked to be faster than usual

No particular colouring in Soar or Trent that I could see

Edit - Just checked EA levels , approaching high normal at Pillings & mid/high at Syston/Kegworth. Rothley brook higher than normal.

Doubt Slash lane is impassible based on this , Soar prob in Amber in the Narrower bits.

I have enjoyed the fun of Slash lane on many occasions recently, the Road Flooded signs seem to appear very swiftly, and then don't get taken away for ages.

It has only been properly impassible on around 3-4 days in the last two months.

The Soar seems to be stable, showers will only maintain the flow, not put the river in the red.

Neil, I saw your boats come past me at Brausnton two days ago, they looked fab as usual.

Gauge at Beeston still in the red at 11 am this morning although 4 boats have left this morning. About an inch to go before in amber. We'll wait until tomorrow as in no rush.

Regards

Pete