What engine is this?

Featured Posts

Helping out some friends to fix another boat, this is the engine that's been removed by a slightly fly-by-night engineer.

We're trying to work out what it is. I think it might be a Vetus, because of the black hoses, the general layout, and the fact that it's yellow, but it's not an M3.09 or M3.28 as far as we can tell.

The "engineer" who removed it was going to take it away "for free, to save your trouble" whereas we're pretty sure that it's got some worth which the owner can put towards getting his boat fixed.

The "engineer" has also removed and taken away the starter motor and the heat exchanger/manifold, and various other bits.

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

It has a Perkins look about it BUT I cannot be sure

Are there any casting numbers visible ?

Chris B

Looks like a p3 Chris :detective:

And isnt the symbol on the filter a perkins one [yes I know it doesnt mean its a perky but it increases the odds

Edited by soldthehouse

Looks like a p3 Chris :detective:

And isnt the symbol on the filter a perkins one [yes I know it doesnt mean its a perky but it increases the odds

It doesn't look much like the P3 we had, 1954 model, in the late 1960s ;)

The high level camshaft pretty much gives it away as being Perkins, though.

Tim

It doesn't look much like the P3 we had, 1954 model, in the late 1960s ;)

The high level camshaft pretty much gives it away as being Perkins, though.

Tim

There have been many reincarnations of the p3 as well you will know oh knowledgable one :D did you make it to the regatta

Well done!!! is that gardener all youd hoped for? I was within a few miles of you the other day {Frodsham ish} but hadnt realised thats where we were headed!!

We're going well OT here, but yes it works very well. Still to some degree a work in progress, the fuel pump cambox is generally very tired & needs replacing, so if anyone reading this can point me to a decent one for a 4LW, complete or parts, for not too much money I'll be very grateful. I gave away a 4LW minus blocks & heads, thought I would never have need of it. I don't think I can ask for it back, as it was something like 30 years ago. I'd also like one day to change the inlet manifold/rocker box arrangement for the marine style, the present ones have the air intake across the top & were designed for oil bath cleaners. Also the engine came from a sea boat & the salt has got to them somewhat.

Pretty much everything else in/on the engine has been 'done', except no time for painting!

The night before we left (wagon was booked for the next morning) I went to bed @ 3:30 am & got up again at 5:00. Yes it was worth going to bed, I got up in daylight which was a big help psychologically. Too old for that sort of thing really, but wasn't going to give up at such a late stage, when so close to being ready.

The hydraulics are noisier than I had hoped for, some sound insulation may be called for when funds permit.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

so, it looks like a perkins, but not like one anybody has had. Intriging..

I think it's a D3.152, not a P3, though no doubt one is a development of the other.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

And painted Vetus yellow

Or Perkins yellow of course - I have certainly seen Perkins that colour before, including some that have been pictured on the forum.

Like this one, (different type but Perkins).......

220708-006_web.jpg