Cost of moving a boat by road to Scotland?

AdelePW

Featured Posts

Hello. Anybody any rough ideas on how much it would cost to shift a boat by road from Lancaster to Scotland? (Caladnian Canal, so probably put in at SeaPort Marina in Inverness). Just number crunching at the mo to see if we have the pennies, we're wanting to live aboard full-time eventually but there dosen't seem to be any narrowboats for sale up here nevermind any brokers. Cheers for any responses

Hello. Anybody any rough ideas on how much it would cost to shift a boat by road from Lancaster to Scotland? (Caladnian Canal, so probably put in at SeaPort Marina in Inverness). Just number crunching at the mo to see if we have the pennies, we're wanting to live aboard full-time eventually but there dosen't seem to be any narrowboats for sale up here nevermind any brokers. Cheers for any responses

Give Steve Holding @ Diamond H Transport a ring 01942 717733............www.diamondh.co.uk..... they have all the equipment.

To an extent it will depend upon what size boat you wish to crane out & transport . . .

But, assuming you have a different crane hire company at each end, I would allow £6/700 at each location, plus £6/800 transport (all plus VAT of course) - so between £2,000/£2450 ish

Thank you both for your time and responses. BW Scotland are just about to start a pilot scheme which are hoping to be a part of as they are introducing residential moorings and actively trying to encourage a variety of boats as they try to promote the usage of canals and 'animate the waterways' . Waterscape is the consortium that's just about to publish its findings i think. At the moment we are just number number crunching to see if it's feasible! If not we'll make it feasible :-), i'll try that number ta and see what they can come up with

If you're going to have the boat in Scotland for a few years, it s certainly feasible, given the current cost of moorings and licence in Scotland. However, if it is a narrowboat, it would be a bit dodgy on the Caledonian. Loch Ness (and, to a lesser extent, Loch Lochy) can go from flat calm to fairly lumpy in under half an hour.

Iain

Given the dimensions of the Caledonian Canal and the seaworthiness requirements, I don't imagine that a narrowboat would be the best option for living aboard. Probably the cheapest suitable vessel would be a converted fishing boat - there are plenty available in Scotland in wood or steel, and you'll get a lot of space for a given length. As the Caledonian doesn't have any air draft restrictions, you could also go for a conversion with a deck house, and get even more interior space.

The Caledonian Canal has a surprising variety of boats, including at least one fat(tish) narrowboat at Inverness. The cruisers that are hired out on the lochs wouldn't look out of place on the canals of England

040.jpg

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I see no point in talking to any company thats over 100 miles away when there are loads of crane and haulage companys local to Lancaster it's not rocket science to lift and move a boat. Crane and haulage companys lift and move far more difficult things every day than your boat.

Thank you all so much for your info and advice. We certainly have a lot to consider and will contact those people suggested. We are aware of the effects of the weather on the open water areas and plan to get/adjust a boat accordingly for the few times we will be moving along the lochs, plus picking the right days to do it on (ie the one day a year it's flat calm!)

I was up in Inverness a few days back and never noticed the chunky narrowboat! Maybe a new pair of glasses would be a good start!!!

Thanks again people, much appreciated

I can understand BW wanting to open up a new revenue stream on the Caledonian and I can understand you wanting to be part of it. BUT the narrow boat has evolved to suit the relatively benign waters of the English canal system. Having seen Royal docks get very lumpy with the wind I trust you are confident that your chosen vessel will be safe and comfortable on the Lochs which are infinitely bigger than Royal Docks. If it is possible then please also look at boats that may convert for living aboard that have better foul weather tolerance.

Apollo duck always seems to have a range of steel fishing boats that would convert for residential/pleasure and these may make coastal cruising available to you also.

• 3 weeks later...

I can understand BW wanting to open up a new revenue stream on the Caledonian and I can understand you wanting to be part of it. BUT the narrow boat has evolved to suit the relatively benign waters of the English canal system. Having seen Royal docks get very lumpy with the wind I trust you are confident that your chosen vessel will be safe and comfortable on the Lochs which are infinitely bigger than Royal Docks. If it is possible then please also look at boats that may convert for living aboard that have better foul weather tolerance.

Apollo duck always seems to have a range of steel fishing boats that would convert for residential/pleasure and these may make coastal cruising available to you also.

Absolutely.

I live in the Highlands but there is no way I would bring my NB up here. Some members will know Ocean Princess has navigated the Cally but his is a heavily modified NB and even then I think they had some misgivings about taking her along Loch Ness.

BTW a friend of mine has just sold a Fisher 30 - proper sea boat, ideal for the Cally in first class nick too, for £25,000. That's an example of what bargains are to be had up here.

It can indeed be lumpy!

Dscn4754.jpg

Thank you both for your time and responses. BW Scotland are just about to start a pilot scheme which are hoping to be a part of as they are introducing residential moorings and actively trying to encourage a variety of boats as they try to promote the usage of canals and 'animate the waterways' . Waterscape is the consortium that's just about to publish its findings i think. At the moment we are just number number crunching to see if it's feasible! If not we'll make it feasible :-), i'll try that number ta and see what they can come up with

Just seen this. I am not so sure about the "just about to start a pilot scheme" bit. There was a consultation (which has now closed) which covered many aspects of the future development of the Scottish canals and residential moorings pilots was just one aspect. Scottish Canals (previously BW Scotland) are currently considering responses and according to the web site the results should be published at the end of June/beginning of July. I think it might be prudent to wait for the results before buying a boat to live on in Inverness.

haggis