STEAMY AFFAIR

bizzard

Featured Posts

...which reminds me that when we were on the South Oxford last weekend (I think it was Saturday morning) I saw a train heading North on the adjacent railway line between Cropredy and Banbury; it was diesel-hauled but all the (ten at least) coaches were GWR brown and cream ones, with the exception of one early BR blood-and-custard livery. Does anyone know what it could have been? As the line goes up to Birmingham, I thought that perhaps the coaches were being delivered to Brum to form a steam special train.

Not sure which route my brother was on..but he was driving Oliver Cromwell last weekend and it failed with tube problems..had to be replaced by diesel.

Was that Tornado over the River Pageant last Sunday?

The company ''Steam dreams'' run the Cathedrals expresses throughout the country and these are the trains you're most likely to see. All steam rail tours and timings are on the ''Railway Herald'' website and others.

Thanks for trying. I assumed that the diesel was just hauling the coaches to a point where the steam loco would take over. I did not actually see the diesel loco, only heard it, as it had just gone behind some trees by the time i looked at the train. So it could have been a restored old diesel.

I was about to add "But who's interested in old diesels?" but then I remembered the '56 Gardner in my engine room!

Was that Tornado over the River Pageant last Sunday?

No that was Princess Elizabeth. In 1936 Hornby produced an 0 gauge electric model for £5. I spent hours with my nose pressed at the model shop window in Worcester saving my pocket money but the war broke out and dreams died.

No - The Princess Elizabeth.

The second of the ''Princess Royal''class of which 13 were built and introduced in 1933 specially for the envisaged heavy non stop services from London to Glasgow. Princess Elizabeth was the main engine used for the trials carried out by R.A.Riddles,and topped 100mph in doing so.

No that was Princess Elizabeth. In 1936 Hornby produced an 0 gauge electric model for £5. I spent hours with my nose pressed at the model shop window in Worcester saving my pocket money but the war broke out and dreams died.

try ebay might be more than a fiver now though!

I saw the train on telly but did not realise that it was hauled by 'Princess Elizabeth'. How appropriate, since the loco was named after the little girl who became our Queen. From memory, her late younger sister had one named after her too, 'Princess Margaret Rose'.

I saw the train on telly but did not realise that it was hauled by 'Princess Elizabeth'. How appropriate, since the loco was named after the little girl who became our Queen. From memory, her late younger sister had one named after her too, 'Princess Margaret Rose'.

I don't think it was hauling anything - it was just the loco and tender.

It signalled the start of the pageant and reversed off the bridge.

46 mins 25 secs in -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jmp4t/The_Queens_Diamond_Jubilee_The_Diamond_Jubilee_Thames_Pageant_The_Diamond_Jubilee_Thames_Pageant/

Edited by MJG

I was about to add "But who's interested in old diesels?" but then I remembered the '56 Gardner in my engine room!

me for a start! the Western's and the old thumpers (class 205 DMU) hold some good memories of the late 70's / early 80's a Western powering out of Reading was a sight in my younger days and I remember fondly the old thumpers powering up the ramp in Portsmouth & Southsea making the whole station vibrate. those were the good days!

No 6203 Princess Margaret Rose built LMS Railway 1935

Bought by Billy Butlin in April 1963 after running 1.5 million miles in service mostly working the crack express trains between London and Scotland. Cosmetically restored at Crewe Works and taken by rail to Pwllheli where it arrived in May 1963. It was located next to the amusement park & boating lake. Butlins offered the loco on loan to the Midland Railway Centre (Butterley, Derbyshire) in April 1974 and work began (using volunteers from the railway) in January 1975. It was a long & laborious process that involved laying 500 yards of special track to connect up with the main line railway. Over 1,300 man hours were consumed during the next 4 months. It finally departed the camp on 11th May 1975 and was towed by a diesel along the main line to its new Derbyshire home. It remained there on static display until 1985 when Butlins offered to sell it outright for a price of £60,000. This was accepted and a new charitable Trust was formed for the purpose and work began on restoring it to running order. This was completed in 1990. Still based at the Midland Railway Centre and owned by the Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust. Thanks to Clive Hanley for providing this link to a recent photo of the locomotive.

try ebay might be more than a fiver now though!

IF you can find one of those in good nick,its worth a fortune as most over time suffered from bad Mazak metal fatigue,wheels fell to bits ect.

Tri-ang made electric 00 gauge plastic bodied ones for their train sets in the 1950's,a black Princess Elizabeth with no valve gear and a little more expensive version with valve gear in green.

6201 was built in 1933 at Crewe Works, the second of its class. She was named after the 7-year-old elder daughter of Albert, Duke of York (later King George VI), Princess Elizabeth (today HM Queen Elizabeth II). Despite the class officially being named after 6200 Princess Royal, the class received the nickname "Lizzies" after 6201.

After nationalisation in 1948, British Railways renumbered her 46201. 46201 was withdrawn in 1962.

46201 was bought by the then Princess Elizabeth Locomotive Society straight from BR service when withdrawn in 1962. Initially kept at the Dowty Railway Preservation Society's premises at Ashchurch, Glos, and then subsequently at the Bulmers Railway Centre in Hereford. When the Bulmers Centre closed in the 1990s the loco moved to the East Lancashire Railway. Since April 2009 it has been based at the Crewe Heritage Centre.[1]

On 3 June 2012, Princess Elizabeth's whistle signalled the start of the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant while the locomotive was standing on Battersea Railway Bridge.

IF you can find one of those in good nick,its worth a fortune as most over time suffered from bad Mazak metal fatigue,wheels fell to bits ect.

Tri-ang made electric 00 gauge plastic bodied ones for their train sets in the 1950's,a black Princess Elizabeth with no valve gear and a little more expensive version with valve gear in green.

only interested in 00 Southern myself none of you lazy mucky & slow on my layout!! :lol:

46200 Princess Royal. 01,Princess Elizabeth. 02 Turbomotive. 03 Princess Margaret Rose. 04,Princess Louie. 05 Princess Victoria. 06,Princess Marie Louise. 07, Princess Arthur of Connaught. 08. Princess Helena Victoria. 09,Princess Beatrice. 10, Lady Patricia. 11,Queen Maud. 12,Duchess of Kent.

the old thumpers (class 205 DMU) hold some good memories of the late 70's / early 80's a Western powering out of Reading was a sight in my younger days and I remember fondly the old thumpers powering up the ramp in Portsmouth & Southsea making the whole station vibrate. those were the good days!

Now you've evoked a memory!Those 205s finished their days on the Uckfield branch line where they remained in service until at least the early 2000s. They usually terminated at Oxted where passengers changed over to a modern train to get to Victoria or London, but there was at least one rush-hour train in each direction which went right up to/ down from London Bridge. This was known locally and sarcastically as "The Uckfield Flyer"; it took some 75 minutes to cover the 40-odd miles to Uckfield but at least it ran semi-fast, missing out some of the picturesque but hopelessly under-used rural stations such as the ill-fated Cowden.

One three-coach unit was formed from coaches of different classes, with a slightly wider coach as the middle one, and was dubbed "The Maggot" by the witty and long-suffering commuters. I liked the Uckfield trains as they were virtually a working transport museum in the '90s, but if you actually wished to get somewhere on time they were not always the best choice.

6201 was built in 1933 at Crewe Works, the second of its class. She was named after the 7-year-old elder daughter of Albert, Duke of York (later King George VI), Princess Elizabeth (today HM Queen Elizabeth II). Despite the class officially being named after 6200 Princess Royal, the class received the nickname "Lizzies" after 6201.

After nationalisation in 1948, British Railways renumbered her 46201. 46201 was withdrawn in 1962.

46201 was bought by the then Princess Elizabeth Locomotive Society straight from BR service when withdrawn in 1962. Initially kept at the Dowty Railway Preservation Society's premises at Ashchurch, Glos, and then subsequently at the Bulmers Railway Centre in Hereford. When the Bulmers Centre closed in the 1990s the loco moved to the East Lancashire Railway. Since April 2009 it has been based at the Crewe Heritage Centre.[1]

On 3 June 2012, Princess Elizabeth's whistle signalled the start of the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant while the locomotive was standing on Battersea Railway Bridge.

only interested in 00 Southern myself none of you lazy mucky & slow on my layout!! :lol:

I'm a bit of a fan of old Bullied. I've traveled behind Clan Line on a Marylebone to Sheffield and return trip,it went well.

I'm a bit of a fan of old Bullied. I've traveled behind Clan Line on a Marylebone to Sheffield and return trip,it went well.

oliver's grandson is a canal trust member, I have long held the view that oliver bullied was the best engineer ever no one can match his numerous and varied projects, having trained under gresley on the lner he came to the southern and built some of the most radical of designs ever, ending his work out in ireland

double deck trains, steam loco's are but a few of is great achievements. sadly some of the designs didn't survive others like the leader class became the foundation of modern traction (class 59/66) are direct decendants of his revolutionary design

even with the onset of war he adapted and some unique stuff came from it like the Q1 class no frills just workable simple to maintain design

One three-coach unit was formed from coaches of different classes, with a slightly wider coach as the middle one, and was dubbed "The Maggot" by the witty and long-suffering commuters. I liked the Uckfield trains as they were virtually a working transport museum in the '90s, but if you actually wished to get somewhere on time they were not always the best choice.

the correct name given by BR was i believe Tadpole unit. there are several vid's on utube for those who are wondering what th' heck we are on about!

diesel driven units of the 70/80's were by far the noisiest ever built - fantastic!! :cheers:

Edited by hamsterfan

, I have long held the view that oliver bullied was the best engineer ever

Even when no one was bullying him, Mr. Bulleid was a fine engineer. I don't think the Q class, which looked like normal steam engines, was his; it was the startlingly austere wartime Q1 which was.

Edited by Athy

Even when no one was bullying him, Mr. Bulleid was a fine engineer. I don't think the Q class, which looked like normal steam engines, was his; it was the startlingly austere wartime Q1 which was.

left the 1 off!! oops

correct the Q was Maunsell and nice loco to boot! there is one at the bluebell railway

Edited by hamsterfan