Isis lock, Oxford- winding

pete23

Featured Posts

Hi, currently in Cropredy heading towards Oxford. We thought we would go into Oxford but wondered where we could wind. Can you go down Isis lock and turn a 62ft boat without actually going into the current of the Thames? thanks Pete 23's wife.

Hi, currently in Cropredy heading towards Oxford. We thought we would go into Oxford but wondered where we could wind. Can you go down Isis lock and turn a 62ft boat without actually going into the current of the Thames? thanks Pete 23's wife.

Yes you can

Richard

Yes you can

Richard

Aye, but why not take the lock and then you can say you've been on the Thames!!

I knew I recognised the name of the boat when you passed me at Braunston the other day.....

should have known with that enjun.

I knew I recognised the name of the boat when you passed me at Braunston the other day.....

Now I'm confused. Pete said "Can you go down Isis lock and turn a 62ft boat". I said "Yes you can".

You would have to do a bit more boating to make the Thames though

Richard

cheers - we will give it a whirl. We came up Marston Doles yesterday & we were 17th in the queue & they only let through 5 after us - alot of grief is being caused by badgers!

Firstly , Dont worry too much about the Thames Current (Unless the rain goes mad!) , If you have time & finances for the EA licence, please please please go out onto the Thames for a Day or two - Its not a big raging river around oxford , go downstream for a day (Maybe Beale Park) & come back , its lovely & well worth the effort - If not at least go out & turn right & come back via Dukes Cut @ the price of a days licence (Maybe you could do this early or late & self operate thus missing the licence - Oh did I say that aloud :blush: )

Dont come down to Oxford & miss the Thames !!!!

Three is a winding hole just above Isis Lock. It is too short for a 70' but I think you would probably get a 62' around in it.

The BW notice at Dukes Cut suggests that the winding hole above Isis lock can only take up to 52 ft. I'm not sure if they are erring on the cautious side.

Firstly , Dont worry too much about the Thames Current (Unless the rain goes mad!) , If you have time & finances for the EA licence, please please please go out onto the Thames for a Day or two - Its not a big raging river around oxford , go downstream for a day (Maybe Beale Park) & come back , its lovely & well worth the effort - If not at least go out & turn right & come back via Dukes Cut @ the price of a days licence (Maybe you could do this early or late & self operate thus missing the licence - Oh did I say that aloud :blush: )

Oxford to beale Park in a day or two is a bit ambitious - but a couple of days on the Thames is fun

54ft absoult max above the lock , 72ft no issues below the lock .

Yup.

And, you should be aware of the current because there is one, but there are instructions for turning at the lock anyway. The Thames is only up the channel. You can see the condition of the Thames just below Shuttleworth lock next to Dukes Cut lock where there should be boards displayed if the river is on yellow or red boards and no boards if it... isn't!

Have a fantastic time. I really like the stretch going into Oxford with the variety of boats and gardens that stretch down to it. :cheers:

I estimate that a one day licence would be £35 for your size boat,can be paid at the lock. A much nicer trip up the river than down the canal.

The trip down the canal in to Oxford is great. You get all of those opportunities to look in to other peoples back gardens ;)

The river route is very different.

I usually let the weather decide. Wet, windy - canal. Anything else - river.

edit - BTW, I've turned an allegedly 50' boat above Isis lock and it was very tight. With concrete either side, there is no room for error.

Theoretically, once you've dropped down through Isis lock, you are on the Thames. Castle Mill stream and Sheepwash channel are back waters of the Thames

Edited by Proper Job

I totally agree. The Thames at Oxford is very benign. The current really is no problem for a narrowboat, and he scenery could not be more different from the canal. Don't miss it!

Mike

I totally agree. The Thames at Oxford is very benign. The current really is no problem for a narrowboat, and he scenery could not be more different from the canal. Don't miss it!

Mike

Agreed....... the Thames is generally very benign.

However, one of the fastest flowing sections of the Thames is the short stretch between Osney bridge and Osney lock. For the most part, it's fine. But boater should be aware that it can race when the river levels rise only slightly.

The lockie at Osney has to try to maintain the clearance under Osney bridge (the lowest on the river). To do this he has to 'dump' water via the bridge, house and main weir. This, combined with a relatively narrow channel, makes for a very high flow rate on this section of river.

It can catch the unwary out.

I estimate that a one day licence would be £35 for your size boat,can be paid at the lock. A much nicer trip up the river than down the canal.

And if you time it right, go out at 8-30 in the morning you actually get two days as you don't have to be off until midnight the next day.

I've not seen those, are they new? And what do they say?

They say as we have now used almost 12 feet of the available water with our nice new floating walkway you dont have room to drive a full length boat round so please have your crew hold the front rope while standing on our nice platform and let the back swing round. Single handers please wait for a passer by to help. :banghead:

I've not seen those, are they new? And what do they say?

IIRC it suggests you use a spring to help you turn, more diatils I can't remember. However as most/many narrowboaters don't know what a Spring is (whoops), I woudn't bother.

There is a slight current from Sheepwash as there is a weir just below Hythe Bridge Street. Unless the Thames is on "Red Boards" it's not an issue. Use it to help you swing.

As to licencing EA are doing what amounts to Buy One and Get One Free - so you get two days boating, making the charge a bit more reasonable. If you do come on to the River, then the moorings below Osney Bridge and the lock are very nice and surprisingly quiet.

May I reccommend SoJo Chinese restaurant in Hythe Bridge Street for authentic Chinese cooking inexpensive as recommended by Giles Coren no less. Lunch for £6

Agreed....... the Thames is generally very benign.

However, one of the fastest flowing sections of the Thames is the short stretch between Osney bridge and Osney lock. For the most part, it's fine. But boater should be aware that it can race when the river levels rise only slightly.

The lockie at Osney has to try to maintain the clearance under Osney bridge (the lowest on the river). To do this he has to 'dump' water via the bridge, house and main weir. This, combined with a relatively narrow channel, makes for a very high flow rate on this section of river.

It can catch the unwary out.

Beware of Osney Bridge - it can be a chimney knocker!