Things I need or should consider, that I haven't thought of...

AidanLincs

Featured Posts

Well, I now own a boat (and have a medal). I shan't be on it until September, alas, due to a perfect storm of things keeping me far too occupied over the summer. I've arranged for the first 2 weeks in September to navigate from Manchester to Newark, and can stretch the time out by another week if I really have to. Plenty of time before then to make plans.

(Also, having read about cheshire~rose's pumpout problems, my immediate reaction was not "urgh", but rather "that's interesting", followed by "can't wait to be on my boat". Is this normal?)

I've looked online at how to get from Manchester to Newark. I'm considering heading south down the Peak Forest and Macclesfield canals to Stoke, then the Trent and Mersey, joining the Trent at Nottingham. Does anyone have a better idea? Bear in mind that while I have been on several narrowboats and yachts over the years, and am fairly comfortable at the tiller and working locks (at least, when I have someone to shout "help!" to), I am still a novice. I'm going to try and get out on the cut with friends for a day or two over summer, if I can, but my diary really is swamped. I will have an experienced boater with me, at the very least for the beginning and end of the cruise, although he hasn't been on the Trent before.

I know that the online services are meant as aids rather than guides, and that there is no substitute for proper canal guides. So, Nicholson's (newly updated)? Pearson's? Both? Neither? Something else?

I'm going to make sure that I have two sets of keys (attached to floats), and two windlasses, for when one ends up in the cut.

Leaving aside, for the moment, the things that are necessary for living on a boat, does anyone have any suggestions about what I need to have on board to get me safely from one marina to t'other?

Whereabouts in Manchester? Plenty of the canal locks up there will need the handcuff key.

Hopefully the previous owner has supplied this with the boat but:

BW key + spare

handcuff key (not sure you'll need this for your trip, but you will eventually)

keys for getting into the water filler and toilet pump out, maybe diesel too

water hose

ropes, at least 3 (bow, stern, centre) but 4 (2x centre) makes life easier

windlasses (even if only one is operating locks, the 2nd is useful if there's a helpful/friendly passer-by you can persuade into helping, or the driver helps)

mooring pins, and/or nappy pins (a few different kinds available....choose your preference)

hammer (to hammer in the mooring pins)

+ personal possessions, full change of clothes (just in case), food, drink, etc

I've always found the way Pearson's guides are laid better than Nicholson's, although of course its just preference really. Whichever you take, its nice to have an idea of what's around the corner and when you're approaching the end of the day, whether eg a lock flight is near or far from you (might want to be one side or the other of it). I suppose you could print off the guides off Waterscape but they're never as good as the guide books.

Edited by Paul C

Hi Aidan.

There are a few things I've used at times, which have ended up getting dropped overboard etc which you might want to get:)

One is a wireless door chime. You stick the ding dong bit in the front, where your mates are all sitting having fun, and you keep the little presser bit on you, so that if you need a cuppa, or you hit a windy patch and are trying to stop on the towpath, and just need to call one of the crew for a bit of help...

Its good to have a box of firelighters, toilet paper, etc.

Although I've never got anything bad caught in the prop, I imagine hooking a spring mattress etc, might need something proper to cut it off with...to date, I've been lucky to be able to use my hands to unravel bits of plastic etc.

If I can think of anything else, I'll add it later :)

Today I went ahead of a friends boat and opened up all the Rochdale 9 locks for them, just so I felt like a boater :)

Whereabouts in Manchester? Plenty of the canal locks up there will need the handcuff key.

Hopefully the previous owner has supplied this with the boat but:

BW key + spare

handcuff key (not sure you'll need this for your trip, but you will eventually)

keys for getting into the water filler and toilet pump out, maybe diesel too

water hose

ropes, at least 3 (bow, stern, centre) but 4 (2x centre) makes life easier

windlasses (even if only one is operating locks, the 2nd is useful if there's a helpful/friendly passer-by you can persuade into helping, or the driver helps)

mooring pins, and/or nappy pins (a few different kinds available....choose your preference)

hammer (to hammer in the mooring pins)

+ personal possessions, full change of clothes (just in case), food, drink, etc

I've always found the way Pearson's guides are laid better than Nicholson's, although of course its just preference really. Whichever you take, its nice to have an idea of what's around the corner and when you're approaching the end of the day, whether eg a lock flight is near or far from you (might want to be one side or the other of it). I suppose you could print off the guides off Waterscape but they're never as good as the guide books.

bw key provided.

handcuff key provided.

water filler accessible.

diesel screwtop.

decent length of hose provided with fitting.

4 ropes provided. 2 new , 2 old but strong.

windlass provided.

2 mooring pins provided.

1 big hammer provided.

:)

Are you providing a full tank of fuel too??? If not, he'll need some cash or card etc!

Sounds like a fun 1st trip. We're buying a boat too but rather boringly, our chosen mooring/marina is by sheer chance, the same one as where the brokerage is we're buying off, so our first 'trip' might be 80 yds to the designate mooring. But we'll do a couple of hours out and back I bet!

RCR membership or similar?

Thanks all. All knowledge is contained in CWDF :)

Hadn't thought about fuel! I know that there are a few fuel boats operating along the route that I plan to take, but I'll need to identify stationary depots as well.

Edited by AidanLincs

Congratulation - exciting isnt it !!!

Did you decide on Kings Marina ?

If so nip down beforehand and get a 'gate key' (£25 deposit) as they seem to regualarly 'run out' of them - and - inevitably the day you arrive they wont have one and you cannot get out / or back into the marina.

We did similar trip when we bought ours - Runcorn to Newark.

A full tank of diesel should get you all the way but there are a number of places to get fuel on the way so dont panic.

The only problem we had was kids throwing gravel at us as we came thru' Stoke.

Make your last night of the cruise at Gunthorpe ( 2 meals for a tenner at the pub) then have a short morning cruise into Newark the next day - gives you plenty of time then to 'wind down', meet the neighbours, pack up and head for home.

So - what else do you need -

1) I'd go for a pair of 'walkie-talkies' (replaces Deans bell buzzer) they can be used on the boat and at locks. You may need to wait 'around the corner' to a lock and your lock operator can then call you when the lock is ready.

2) If you get the chance do a VHF course and get a VHF radio - makes life on the Trent a 100 times easier. Just call the lockie 10 minutes out and the lock will be in your favour when you arrive.

3) Anchor & Chain/rope

4) Lifejackets

5) A couple of spare mooring pins - with just two, when you lose one you have a problem.

6) Keys with floats - I've so many keys on mine that they sink - try yours at home (in the bath ?) to make sure the float has enough buoyancy for the number of keys - dont ask how I know this !!!

7) Engine oil

8) Stern gland grease

9) A heavy duty short 'jump lead' that can be used from your domestic batteries to your starter battery if for some reason your starter battery dies.

10) Spare fuses

11) Relevant sized spanners and screwdrivers

12) Assorted bits of wire / cable and scothlock or chocolate block connectors.

13) Spare fan belt(s)

When you have purchased your guides also consider buying a plastic stationary wallet to place the one you are using in.

We have until recently been using a clear plastic "envelope" type folder with a plastic zip top fastening. You can also get them with press studd fastenings. You can place the open guide inside and it will stay dry on a damp day and also stops the pages from blowing about.

This trip we "upgraded" to a hard plastic clear box type thing from a stationers. It has been really good but I am still waiting for one of us to drop it on a corner and it crack! They are slightly dearer than the soft plastic ones and I suspect with time the clear surface will scratch making it cloudy so I guess you pay's your money and takes your choice!

By the way - I am glad you found the pump out thing interesting. To be honest it is not really a "problem" as such because we still have a perfectly well functioning loo it is just that when something does not quite happen as planned I find this forum a really useful way of tapping into the wealth of experience of hundreds of boaters who can often suggest a fix or a better way to go about things. I am a great believer in the old adage "Everyday is a school day" and even the most experienced can often learn something new if they are prepared to keep and open mind.

Good luck with your travels. I would also agree about hand held walkie talkies - it is so much easier if one of the team walks ahead to prepare a lock they can often see further up the canal and can call back to let people know if a boat is coming etc. We also tend to keep a small inexpensive pair of binoculars nearby. In a flight it can be great to look far into the distance and get a good idea of the direction and movements of boats ahead of you.

Congratulation - exciting isnt it !!!

The only problem we had was kids throwing gravel at us as we came thru' Stoke.

A camera is useful for scaring off any ner do wells.

Cup a soup and a thermos flask.

Edited by Ray T

and my list is:

Keys to everything & 2nd spare set (with keys individually identifiable)

BW key & spare

Anti-vandal key & spare

Lock key longthrow & spare

Lock key shortthrow & spare

Torches (LED) & spare

Batteries forsame & spare

First aid kit

Loupe & tweezers for splinters

Mobile phone & charging system

Sun glasses & spare

Glasses as needed & spares

Sun hat & spare

Clothes & footwear & spares (note all may be needed in a single day)

For cold weather

For wet weather

For warm weather

For hot weather

Binoculars for seeing what is happening on the lock ahead

Dipstick for diesel tank

Diesel

Spare oil, water, antifreeze

Gloves, nitrile, for dealing with weed hatch material which can be sharp.

Tiller bar and pin

Magnet with string already attached.

Maps

Spare fuses

Basic toolkit

Ropes 4 as above

Nappy pins 4

Pins 4

Hammers 2

Baby wipes - loads

Tissue - loads

Toilet paper - loads

Working toilet with adequate capacity

Bucket

Paper & pencil

River stuff ?anchor, VHF radio, etc

Tinned food

Coffee, tea,etc & heating mechanism

Water

Chair

Spare padlocks

Headlamp & spare bulbs

Spare wire

Fenders (for sleeping)

Barge pole

Boat hook

Clock (for tunnels)

Radio (for weather forecast)

Cooking Stove & fuel for it

Heating system & fuel for it

Camera

Tin opener

Bread knife

Beer money

Chocolate biscuits - loads

Slippers & wellies

Optimism - large size

Spare jubilee clips in a range of sizes

Horn

Boat license stickers

Pinch of salt

Edited by system 4-50

and my list is:

Keys to everything & 2nd spare set (with keys individually identifiable)

BW key & spare

Anti-vandal key & spare

Lock key longthrow & spare

Lock key shortthrow & spare

Torches (LED) & spare

Batteries forsame & spare

First aid kit

Loupe & tweezers for splinters

Mobile phone & charging system

Sun glasses & spare

Glasses as needed & spares

Sun hat & spare

Clothes & footwear & spares (note all may be needed in a single day)

For cold weather

For wet weather

For warm weather

For hot weather

Binoculars for seeing what is happening on the lock ahead

Dipstick for diesel tank

Diesel

Spare oil, water, antifreeze

Gloves, nitrile, for dealing with weed hatch material which can be sharp.

Tiller bar and pin

Magnet with string already attached.

Maps

Spare fuses

Basic toolkit

Ropes 4 as above

Nappy pins 4

Pins 4

Hammers 2

Baby wipes - loads

Tissue - loads

Toilet paper - loads

Working toilet with adequate capacity

Bucket

Paper & pencil

River stuff ?anchor, VHF radio, etc

Tinned food

Coffee, tea,etc & heating mechanism

Water

Chair

Spare padlocks

Headlamp & spare bulbs

Spare wire

Fenders (for sleeping)

Barge pole

Boat hook

Clock (for tunnels)

Radio (for weather forecast)

Cooking Stove & fuel for it

Heating system & fuel for it

Camera

Tin opener

Bread knife

Beer money

Chocolate biscuits - loads

Slippers & wellies

Optimism - large size

Spare jubilee clips in a range of sizes

Horn

Boat license stickers

Hmm, we're gonna need a bigger boat

Richard

One thing I would not be without is my 8 foot scaffold pole. Much better than a wooden pole when you run aground, and use it for levering sticky lock gates open. Nip round to your nearest scaffolder he'll probably just "lose" one for you.

Paint your boat pole/hook in one foot sections so you can quickly guage the depth of water if/when you need to.

I haven't got one but a wind direction indicator/pennant/burgee is useful.

Plastic zip ties have 1001 uses.

Another thing I haven't got round to is some sort of cup/mug holder or device to stop your tea/coffee sliding off the deck/roof/taff rail.

The binocular suggestion is a good idea - I never have mine to hand though.