Leeds Liverpool - journey recommendations ?

Novice99

Featured Posts

Many thanks indeed for all the very helpful comments – we have reconsidered a number of initial thoughts from having the benefit of your experiences.

We can certainly see the advantages of going on the Leeds/Liverpool for our first trip.

If possible we would much prefer there to be 3 separate sleeping areas so that no one is forced to stay up. So will look to see if we can get that.

If we go on the Leeds/Liverpool for one week what would be the recommendations for the start points and direction to head for the best scenery?

Also any recommendations as to who to hire from?

We have not made up our mind about the dog !

Thanks again

Depends which side of the country you wish to start from,

One company that I like because the boats don't look like hire boats is canal escapes from Barnoldswick, their boat Isobel looks beautiful but there is also Pennine Cruisers, Silsden and Snaygill (all based in or around Skipton) there are also hire boats at Reedley Marina at Burnley and others at Riley Green (west of Blackburn)and possibly more that I don't know of.

Which ever you choose and it is a personal choice you must travel between Skipton and Barrowford, it's a beautiful part of the country and apart from a mile or so through Barnoldswick it's all countryside.

It depends on how long you are hiring for as to where you can go, it's also worth going east to Bingley to see or to go down the 5 Rise locks and then to go to Saltaire.

There's lots of options and lots more I could tell you, if you need any more info don't be afraid to ask or even email me

Dave

I haven't uploaded all the photos yet, but here's a link to a slideshow of a trip we made last weekend from Leeds to Gargrave on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.

Leeds & Liverpool

I'll admit bias here, as it's my local canal and I actually work now for a local narrowboat hire company, doing handovers.

Our boat Florence would seem to suit your needs...she can sleep up to eight people, with various sleeping configurations available, and is also pet friendly, should you decide to bring the dog.

My recommendation would be to go from Barnoldswick to Saltaire or Leeds, depending on how long you want to cruise each day. The scenery from Barnoldswick through the locks at Bank Newton and Gargrave and on to Skipton is fabulous, but from Skipton through to Saltaire and beyond is simply sublime! We were on a bit of a mission to get a boat back in a hurry, so I didn't take nearly as many photos as I would have liked!

Bingley 5 Rise is an absolute must-do...one of the real wonders of the waterways world. Skipton and Saltaire are rightly famous, and it's well worth planning to stop and explore for a while.

There are several hire companies on the Leeds and Liverpool, so you're spoilt for choice really! Here are just a few...there are several more if you have a Google!

Canal Boat Escapes

Silsden Boats

Pennine Cruisers

Shire Cruisers

Snaygill Boats

Whichever company you decide to go with, make sure that you are given hands on tuition with the locks if this is your first time. You simply can't learn safe operating techniques from watching a video.

I'm very familiar with the Leeds and Liverpool, so any questions, please feel free to ask. There are several other members with expert knowledge on the forum, I'm sure they'll be along shortly!

Janet

Edited by Janet S

Ah, I see Dave beat me to it!

...and here he is, pictured with Grace last weekend as we were approaching one of the famous Leeds and Liverpool swing bridges.

7278307012_31a5c2fd31_z.jpg

I have absolutely NO idea where that was taken, as the weekend passed in a blur!

Janet

Edited by Janet S

Ah, I see Dave beat me to it!

...and here he is, pictured with Grace last weekend as we were approaching one of the famous Leeds and Liverpool swing bridges.

7278307012_31a5c2fd31_z.jpg

I have absolutely NO idea where that was taken, as the weekend passed in a blur!

Janet

How dare you say you've no idea where this is !!!

This is the first posting with a picture of our 'new' boat on it's mooring at Kildwick

(thanks Janet)

Dave

Ha ha! I knew roughly where it was, but couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the place!

I hope you're enjoying this fabulous weather! Has the canal got any busier? I think we saw only half a dozen moving boats all weekend....absolute bliss!

Janet

If you hire from barnoldswick you can go towards skipton and enjoy probably the best section of canal anywhere in the country, but you won't get anywhere near Leeds. Once you leave Skipton the swing bridges come thick and fast and can slow your progress much more than you'd think. Be very realistic about your daily mileage and you will enjoy it a lot more.

From "Barlick" you could certainly get down the five rise, and probably as far as Rodley, but no further. By the time you return you will be expert in swing bridges as I think there are about 30 on that route.

Yes, I was possibly being a bit optimistic with Leeds, but we have done it there and back in a week with a crew of two...then again, we tend to cruise for long days and don't stop off en-route for sight seeing.

Neil's quite right, and Saltaire or possibly Rodley would be good places to aim for in a one week cruise from Barnoldswick.

Have a look at CanalPlan to help in planning your route and possible stopping/turning places, or better still, ask on here for suggestions.

The best thing about doing an out and back is that you don't need to worry too much about planning....simply get to half way through the week and then turn round. It all looks somehow different on the way back!

Janet

If we go on the Leeds/Liverpool for one week what would be the recommendations for the start points and direction to head for the best scenery?

Also any recommendations as to who to hire from?

We have not made up our mind about the dog !

Thanks again

You can start from any of the hire start points between Barnolswick and Silsden, go out from your start point and just return to it. either way you will take in the best...

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't uploaded all the photos yet, but here's a link to a slideshow of a trip we made last weekend from Leeds to Gargrave on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.

Leeds & Liverpool

I'll admit bias here, as it's my local canal and I actually work now for a local narrowboat hire company, doing handovers.

Our boat Florence would seem to suit your needs...she can sleep up to eight people, with various sleeping configurations available, and is also pet friendly, should you decide to bring the dog.

My recommendation would be to go from Barnoldswick to Saltaire or Leeds, depending on how long you want to cruise each day. The scenery from Barnoldswick through the locks at Bank Newton and Gargrave and on to Skipton is fabulous, but from Skipton through to Saltaire and beyond is simply sublime! We were on a bit of a mission to get a boat back in a hurry, so I didn't take nearly as many photos as I would have liked!

Bingley 5 Rise is an absolute must-do...one of the real wonders of the waterways world. Skipton and Saltaire are rightly famous, and it's well worth planning to stop and explore for a while.

There are several hire companies on the Leeds and Liverpool, so you're spoilt for choice really! Here are just a few...there are several more if you have a Google!

Canal Boat Escapes

Silsden Boats

Pennine Cruisers

Shire Cruisers

Snaygill Boats

Whichever company you decide to go with, make sure that you are given hands on tuition with the locks if this is your first time. You simply can't learn safe operating techniques from watching a video.

I'm very familiar with the Leeds and Liverpool, so any questions, please feel free to ask. There are several other members with expert knowledge on the forum, I'm sure they'll be along shortly!

Janet

Janet , Wow some stunning pics . Are these all taken East of Barnolswick ? It has whet my apetite even more ! Its gonna be a long year waiting !

Yes, they are all taken east of Barnoldswick.

This is the bottom of Greenberfield Locks, with the lock just visible on the right hand side

7183533852_bf06134509_z.jpg

And this is the bridge that you meet when you come through the top lock

7183528116_171cde772e_z.jpg

This is Grace approaching the top lock with Kennet moored in the background

6135248391_3e51fbf852_z.jpg

And if you're coming with us, here's where I'll be sitting with a cup of tea waiting for you to arrive! That's our tug Isabel in the photo, being prepared for guests.

6895348543_08df32da8e_z.jpg

I always try to take photos if there's chance during our handovers, as for many guests it's their first time and of course they are so busy that they don't have time to take any themselves.It's a nice reminder for them. I have some lovely shots of happy guests working the gates and paddles, but don't like to post them without permission.

Janet

Hey! We use that blue boat as target practice!

Seriously, by the time they've reached here, our guests have had a reasonable cruise and steering tuition and then they've worked their way through three locks (all with different ground paddles, just to make it interesting!) By this time they are positively itching to get rid of me and go boating!

We'd normally ask them to moor up just before where the blue boat is so that we can check that they're happy with everything, and sign them off and let them get on their way. However, if they're on Isabel, our lovely (but deep draughted!) tug, then we'd ask them to pull in just about where that boat is, as the canal edge before there is just at the right level to scrape all the paint off the gunwhales!

So, somebody move that blue boat please!!!

Janet

Yes, they are all taken east of Barnoldswick.

This is the bottom of Greenberfield Locks, with the lock just visible on the right hand side

7183533852_bf06134509_z.jpg

The view is across the drumlins, small rolling hills formed under glaciers, and they are probably the finest example in Europe. The bridge in the distance was rebuilt about twenty five years ago, and now has an elliptical arch. I was told at the time that the engineers couldn't get a computer programme to design a simple arch as is normal for a canal bridge, only an ellipse. It used to be a change line bridge, as this is where the canal crosses from the River Aire watershed into that of the Ribble. It then crosses back into the Aire watershed at Barnoldswick, before returning to the Ribble at Foulridge. I think this is the only canal summit which crosses a watershed three times - not many people know that!

Hey! We use that blue boat as target practice!

Seriously, by the time they've reached here, our guests have had a reasonable cruise and steering tuition and then they've worked their way through three locks (all with different ground paddles, just to make it interesting!) By this time they are positively itching to get rid of me and go boating!

We'd normally ask them to moor up just before where the blue boat is so that we can check that they're happy with everything, and sign them off and let them get on their way. However, if they're on Isabel, our lovely (but deep draughted!) tug, then we'd ask them to pull in just about where that boat is, as the canal edge before there is just at the right level to scrape all the paint off the gunwhales!

So, somebody move that blue boat please!!!

Janet

Well I'm certainly open to offers....

The view is across the drumlins, small rolling hills formed under glaciers, and they are probably the finest example in Europe. The bridge in the distance was rebuilt about twenty five years ago, and now has an elliptical arch. I was told at the time that the engineers couldn't get a computer programme to design a simple arch as is normal for a canal bridge, only an ellipse. It used to be a change line bridge, as this is where the canal crosses from the River Aire watershed into that of the Ribble. It then crosses back into the Aire watershed at Barnoldswick, before returning to the Ribble at Foulridge. I think this is the only canal summit which crosses a watershed three times - not many people know that!

Excellent information, thanks!

Janet