Fire on Pandora at Lymn

Featured Posts

At around midnight Pandora, a widebeam in the centre of Lymn was ablaze. No one appears to have been on board. The owner had been arrested earlier in the evening. Five appliances attended plus a vehicle and infltatable.

Nearby boats moved away because of the gas risk and fire.

Pandora is extensively damaged.

Earlier in the evening the owner was seen to be shouting at the police. Local unsubstantiated comment was made concerning drug taking and some lewd behaviour.

At around midnight Pandora, a widebeam in the centre of Lymn was ablaze. No one appears to have been on board. The owner had been arrested earlier in the evening. Five appliances attended plus a vehicle and infltatable.

Nearby boats moved away because of the gas risk and fire.

Pandora is extensively damaged.

Earlier in the evening the owner was seen to be shouting at the police. Local unsubstantiated comment was made concerning drug taking and some lewd behaviour.

Oh dear!

Notwithstanding the barney 'twixt the owner and the Police - it's always a particularly sobering event to have a boat burn

I find it hard to believe that people can make jokes about someone losing their boat and home to a fire. I hope you never have to suffer that fate. It does not matter if he had been arrested or anything else he has still suffered one of the worse things that can happen to a boater

I find it hard to believe that people can make jokes about someone losing their boat and home to a fire. I hope you never have to suffer that fate. It does not matter if he had been arrested or anything else he has still suffered one of the worse things that can happen to a boater

When something really bad happens to you .

You will find humour is the best medicine (as long as its not hatefully) to help recovery because if you do not laugh at adversity life quickly Spiral downs.

• Greenie 1

When something really bad happens to you .

You will find humour is the best medicine (as long as its not hatefully) to help recovery because if you do not laugh at adversity life quickly Spiral downs.

I agree - but only if the humour is yours, in your own time

Somebody else imposing their humour on your situation at a time when you are not ready for it - is crap

edited to add - in my opinion laughing at your own bad situation is an indicator that you are beginning to recover and thus valuable - laughing at your own bad situation as a route to recovery is not genuine. It is a falsity, hollow, therefore it has no value

Edited by Bazza2
  • Greenie 1

I agree - but only if the humour is yours, in your own time

Somebody else imposing their humour on your situation at a time when you are not ready for it - is crap

edited to add - in my opinion laughing at your own bad situation is an indicator that you are beginning to recover and thus valuable - laughing at your own bad situation as a route to recovery is not genuine. It is a falsity, hollow, therefore it has no value

Agree

But in this instance the owner is not posting.

So humour from a second party to a second party as long as its not hateful,

I believe its acceptable, I am sorry if some think otherwise. But I suppose that my squaddie ways coming through

The name Pandora rings a bell. Is this the boat that was moored at Castlefield for years with an armchair on its roof?

ETA - a widebeam but not a very wide widebeam - maybe 8ft?

The ship Pandora with the prison box mounted on it ?

Oh dear!

Notwithstanding the barney 'twixt the owner and the Police - it's always a particularly sobering event to have a boat burn

I have the uneasy feeling that the burning of the boat is directly related to the owner being arrested and taken away, thus preventing him from supervising something going on inside his boat. Perhaps he was cooking something. I doubt his stove was alight given the weather.

The name Pandora rings a bell. Is this the boat that was moored at Castlefield for years with an armchair on its roof?

ETA - a widebeam but not a very wide widebeam - maybe 8ft?

Yes, it is the boat which was in Castlefield with an armchair on the roof,and it is (was) 12' beam.

I went past Pandora earlier today. The fire seems to have done the most damage towards the back end of the boat where I presume the galley/lounge is in relation to the vents etc. Even from around 20ft away the smell of charred wood was very strong.

For a couple of years they've been moored at Pickering's Bridge, I have delivered to them on numerous occasions and they have always been working on the fitout/refitting. Such a shame after all of the work that's been put in for it to go up in smoke.

Its sad to read of yet another boat possibly being set fire to, especially one that was being worked so hard on.

As none of us are yet fully aware of the situation, I agree its maybe a bit harsh to judge on little information.

Speaking from personal experience, something I would not wish on my worst enemy, laughter does help, but not at someone elses expense.

Thankfully no one was hurt and it is still not a regular sight.

Anyone got that from a more reliable source than narrowboat world though?

Seems odd if the facts are correct, that on the same night the resident is arrested, someone breaks in and nicks his stuff and sets fire to the boat?

Very sad all round.