Advice appreciated from novice family

Novice99

Featured Posts

Hope some of the members here can give us a bit of a steer.

We live in central Scotland and would like to go for a one week canal holiday in England. Mum, Dad and 3 kids - 14 - 11 and 9. If possible some sort of ring would be good. We would like nice countryside and a few interesting places to stop along the way. We (for which read dad) would very much like being able to get an evening meal in a pub close to the canal once we have tied up - so having them available would be great.

Any recommendations for where to go and does it matter what sort of canal boat we hire in terms of size?

We are not sure whether to bring our dog (golden retriever) with us or leave him at home with other family members - so thoughts on that would help.

Any tips or pointers are going to be greatly received.

Hope some of the members here can give us a bit of a steer.

We live in central Scotland and would like to go for a one week canal holiday in England. Mum, Dad and 3 kids - 14 - 11 and 9. If possible some sort of ring would be good. We would like nice countryside and a few interesting places to stop along the way. We (for which read dad) would very much like being able to get an evening meal in a pub close to the canal once we have tied up - so having them available would be great.

Any recommendations for where to go and does it matter what sort of canal boat we hire in terms of size?

We are not sure whether to bring our dog (golden retriever) with us or leave him at home with other family members - so thoughts on that would help.

Any tips or pointers are going to be greatly received.

We took our dog and he was fine, but if I could leave him with family I would have as its something else to distract you and if it doesn't like it and settle down it will be a pain.

Hi.

I know it is a well worn record but you would not go far wrong doing the Llangollen from say Bunbury ( Anglo Welsh base) . Ok, it is not a ring, but a lovely canal with good pub stops and some interesting features. You will be hooked, so be warned. Do take the dog, but buy a harness with a handle to heave him/her out when the inevitable happens. (Get some for the kids as well !)

;)

Again, not a ring, but you can't get much better than the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. Not too far for you to travel, and good transport links.

We just did the trip from Leeds through to Gargrave last weekend, for the umpeenth time, but it never fails to delight. The scenery is just sublime! You'd also be able to do the famous Bingley 5 Rise locks, which are simply magnificent.

I'd also highly recommend the Cheshire Ring...it was simply fabulous and perfectly do-able in a week.

Janet

Again, not a ring, but you can't get much better than the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. Not too far for you to travel, and good transport links.

We just did the trip from Leeds through to Gargrave last weekend, for the umpeenth time, but it never fails to delight. The scenery is just sublime! You'd also be able to do the famous Bingley 5 Rise locks, which are simply magnificent.

I'd also highly recommend the Cheshire Ring...it was simply fabulous and perfectly do-able in a week.

Janet

Leeds and Liverpool would get my vote, IMO scenery far better than llangollen.

I would just add that while it seems obvious to anyone who has not been boating before that a ring is best (not covering the same ground twice) We always find that returning always feels different. You see views you did not before because they were behind you. You travel through areas at a different time of day and possibly in different weather meaning they look different too. There is always that shop you would have liked to browse in but it was closed when you passed, that mooring you would have liked that was full when you passed and that pub that you might have liked to have lunch in but you passed at 10am - all things you get a second shot at one the way back and somehow you will be more relaxed and enjoy the cruise more anyway.

• Greenie 1

Rings in a week don't give that many alternatives, but Warwickshire ring would be another ring doable in a week. There is a large choice of hire companies located on the ring. You get countryside and pubs, and a city when you go through Birmingham. Quite a lot of locks though, so think about how energetic you want to be.

With 5 of you, you will want a reasonable sized boat, and think if you are ok using the sitting area for sleeping, eg. if its one of the kids sleeping there then you will have to go to bed when they do.

I'd agree with cheshire-rose. An out and back trip shouldn't be seen as "half the enjoyment" of a cruising ring. As well as the things already mentioned, you feel much more relaxed about getting the boat back in time (just turn half way!) and about the return trip on familiar water. The problem comes if you get 'ahead' of your timetable and end up with half a day, or a day to spare. So its worth buying a guide eg Pearsons and getting a feel of how fast YOU cruise at, so that you will know how you can fill in the additional time with cruising (eg pass the hire base then do a couple of hours, then turn) if you wish, or by taking it easy on the way back. So, not really a problem at all!

Edited by Paul C

I know I always say this but you won't go far wrong doing the Leeds & Liverpool for your first trip - it was ours.

The advantage for you too is it's (along with the Lancaster) the nearest.

As for the dog? - not sure really they normally take to boating pretty well, you know him best and what will/could freak him out. We had a retriever who we never took boating but he had a real penchant for jumping in water so probably just as well we didn't.

ed to add - I agree on the out and back thing too, it's nice seeing the same view but coming the other way, rings are great if you have long enough but 'out and back' is not second best..

Edited by MJG

... We (for which read dad) would very much like being able to get an evening meal in a pub close to the canal once we have tied up - so having them available would be great.

If you eat out every night, full family or just a couple of you, it will get surprisingly expensive.

More so if you drink pints as well as eat.

If you have the money to spend, then fine, but just do the arithmetic before you go, and make sure you have put enough in the account that services your card.

And always have some 'emergency' rations on board for the night that 'eating out' doesn't work.

HTH

Regarding the dog, if you're worried he/she will jump off the boat and end up in the water, then consider a semi-trad stern. This gives you a secure outdoor area to accommodate the dog during cruising. Yes, they do exist! Plenty of hire firms offer semi-trad stern boats although you kind of need to seek them out. My experience (from what I've seen, not dog ownership) is that dogs are fine but sometimes get nervous in locks. I guess private owners and liveaboards whose dog does much more cruising, quickly get used to it and are much calmer than a dog on holiday.

I would also support out and back. Remember half way round a ring is not always half the time required. I think things always look different on the way back and you can always turn a bit early to leave time to do something or visit somewhere. As for food, you will always turn up at a pub at 8pm starving hungry and they won't do food,aw. We always have a couple of tins handy that can just be emptied into a saucepan and heated.

Some recommend the narrow canals for a first timer as the locks are easier to handle but many of the popular canals are so busy now you won't enjoy it as much as you will be stressed about hitting things, more so if you get a really long NB. I am totally biased of course but you can't go wrong with the Leeds Liverpool. It is a broad canal, but very quiet and in the main there's lots of room for boats to pass etc. Most of the hire companies are very good at getting you used to locks. The L/L also has some of the most delightful countryside you will find anywhere on the network.

I'd take the dog. Most dogs love canal boating and if you don't take her this time you will never know. Some are freaked out by tunnels but if you turn all the lights on inside she should be ok. There's only one real tunnel on the L/L anyway, Foulridge, and you can have a nice walk over it if you're worried.