Mooring Renovation

pophops

Featured Posts

I'm currently renovating my mooring deck. Having removed all the old and rotting timbers I am left with just a scaffolding framework with poles sunk into the canal bed on one side and into the bank on the other. These are connected with poles both across and along the length of the mooring. I have built a timber frame on top of this ready to take a deck. So far so good!

Any suggestions for reasonably price deck materials? I have priced new timber decking at around £400! Completely out of the question. Besides, I think it might look a bit 'poncey'. But my real problem is what to about the old car tyres which are currently roped to the upright poles and act as fenders. These do their job but look messy. Any ideas what I could put in their place? Scaffold boards seem a possibility but I can't see how I could fix them to the upright poles at the correct height for the rubbing strakes. I'm currently considering hanging them from chains! All ideas both sensible and silly with be gratefully received.

I'm currently renovating my mooring deck. Having removed all the old and rotting timbers I am left with just a scaffolding framework with poles sunk into the canal bed on one side and into the bank on the other. These are connected with poles both across and along the length of the mooring. I have built a timber frame on top of this ready to take a deck. So far so good!

Any suggestions for reasonably price deck materials? I have priced new timber decking at around £400! Completely out of the question. Besides, I think it might look a bit 'poncey'. But my real problem is what to about the old car tyres which are currently roped to the upright poles and act as fenders. These do their job but look messy. Any ideas what I could put in their place? Scaffold boards seem a possibility but I can't see how I could fix them to the upright poles at the correct height for the rubbing strakes. I'm currently considering hanging them from chains! All ideas both sensible and silly with be gratefully received.

Slip Go-Kart tyres over the poles ? They will float & act as a buffer to the boat - Usually available for free or very cheap from Kart tracks.

Any suggestions for reasonably price deck materials? I have priced new timber decking at around £400!

I have seen second hand decking on Ebay occasionally, or try your local reclamation yard.

Can you get hold of pallets? (Break them up with a wide brick chisel as you won't be able to extract the nails.)