fire extinguishers

DeanS

Featured Posts

Hello. In a new boat build, I'll need to get fire extinguishers and a fire blanket. Do you know where the best place would be to get them, how much they should cost, which size is recommended etc? Many Thanks. I suppose you can get them at B&Q type places, but I'm needing to save as much money by going to the places that DONT rip you off.

:smiley_offtopic:

Hello. In a new boat build, I'll need to get fire extinguishers and a fire blanket. Do you know where the best place would be to get them, how much they should cost, which size is recommended etc? Many Thanks. I suppose you can get them at B&Q type places, but I'm needing to save as much money by going to the places that DONT rip you off.

Hi, Dean. Where are you now? You could have got them from us 2 weeks ago,but any reputable chandlery will advise you,on types and sizes.There is a lot of competition going on now so you should not get ripped off.Good luck.Stuart.

This tells you how many you need.

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com/downloads/BSS_Guide_chap6web.pdf

You can get them wherever you like (including B&Q) as long as they meet the fire ratings in the guidelines.

A perennial topic on here - make sure they have the right standards marks on them, otherwise they will fail the BSS

test

Richard

A perennial topic on here - make sure they have the right standards marks on them, otherwise they will fail the BSS

test

Richard

Exactly...!

I had five Wickes extinguishers...with CE marks and British Kite marks...

Was fine 4 years ago for last BSS but its been changed over that time.

There are a list of (6 I think..?) marine approval marks...

Extinguishers must display one of these marine marks..

The engineer showed me the Boat Safety 'remit' with photo copies of the marks they now have to have..

I passed last time..but 2 weeks ago..failed as I did not have one of these marks.

Having said that..Midland Chandlers were doing the proper extinguishers...3 for £45 so it didn't break the bank.

I was allowed to mix and match....

Under ths BSS my 60 foot boat had to have 3 approved extinguishers...which I fitted..but I was allowed to keep my old unapproved extinguishers on board as well...so I now have 8 !!

Bring on the flames..!!

Edited by Bobbybass

Exactly...!

There are a list of (6 I think..?) marine approval marks...

Extinguishers must display one of these marine marks..

The engineer showed me the Boat Safety 'remit' with photo copies of the marks they now have to have..

I passed last time..but 2 weeks ago..failed as I did not have one of these marks.

Having said that..Midland Chandlers were doing the proper extinguishers...3 for £45 so it didn't break the bank.

I was allowed to mix and match....

Under ths BSS my 60 foot boat had to have 3 approved extinguishers...which I fitted..but I was allowed to keep my old unapproved extinguishers on board as well...so I now have 8 !!

Bring on the flames..!!

Are you saying that Wickes/Lidl/B&Q extinguishers are probably not now acceptable? There have been several posts here in the past year drawing attention to cheap fire extinguishers, especially from Lidl. And if this is so, does anyone have a link to the marks that are acceptable?

Are you saying that Wickes/Lidl/B&Q extinguishers are probably not now acceptable? There have been several posts here in the past year drawing attention to cheap fire extinguishers, especially from Lidl. And if this is so, does anyone have a link to the marks that are acceptable?

I'm saying...that they must display the approved marks..not just BS..Kite Mark or CE..

I haven't looked at the latest BSS page...but I would guess that the marks the engineer showed me..must be on that page somewhere..

He had a print out of either 6 or 8 marks. He said if they were not on it...it was a fail..

Don't know if this is acceptable for BSS but there should still be some of these around - they were an Aldi special buy a week ago.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_24576.htm

Arthur

Yup...yup...

Google 'boat safety chapter 6'

it covers fire extinguishers and shows 8 marks..one of which they must have in order to comply.

I had Wickes extinguishers with kite marks...BUT my kite marks didn't have the correct approval numbers on them. Apparently...this is crucial.

Edited by Bobbybass

Yup...yup...

Google 'boat safety chapter 6'

it covers fire extinguishers and shows 8 marks..one of which they must have in order to comply.

Yes, I've just found that too. The Kite Mark is acceptable - no extra marine markings as you implied in your first post. The only one that is not acceptable by itself is the CE mark. From what you say, your original extinguishers should have been acceptable, as they had Kite Marks.

I'm going to look at mine now.

Yes, I've just found that too. The Kite Mark is acceptable - no extra marine markings as you implied in your first post. The only one that is not acceptable by itself is the CE mark. From what you say, your original extinguishers should have been acceptable, as they had Kite Marks.

I'm going to look at mine now.

No..the kite mark alone is not acceptable.

Sorry if I mislead you in my first post....

Its not solely a marine rating as I mistakenly said..

Its the rating numbers that are with the kite mark...

I had lower EN ratings than those specified.The photos in chapter 6 maybe do not emphasise this enough ?

They must look like one or several of the ones shown on the BSS chapter 6..and equate to the required rating..or its a fail...so I was told...

Many home extinguishers have lower ratings that these.

Edited by Bobbybass

Does anyone get their extinguishers 'serviced' or simply replaced? - and what is the trigger for doing either?

I got mine "serviced" for the last BSS Cert as they were 4 years old. Cost £15 + VAT for 3 powder if you call in so was worthwhile. http://bwfire.co.uk/

Will buy new ones next time.

Paul

BSS Guide 6.1.2R allows the kite mark as the evidence of compliance for quality. The kite mark will/must carry the licence number of the manufacturer.

Of course the ratings and combined ratings need to meet the requirements for quantity.

.... it is not complicated.

I bought mine from fire-extinguishers-direct, very good value and full compliance.

Edited by ChrisPy

I'll make sure I read this thread 5 times before buying any. Only need them in a few months.:) Hi Stuart....Im in Manchester......so will probably come and say hello and buy them from you, at ...some....point :)

I got mine "serviced" for the last BSS Cert as they were 4 years old. Cost £15 + VAT for 3 powder if you call in so was worthwhile. http://bwfire.co.uk/

Will buy new ones next time.

Paul

Additional comment: You should read read BSS manual 6.1.3. The service is only a "requirement" if the extinguisher has passed it's expiry date. "Best practice" recommendation however is that the extinguishers are serviced annually. We all do that don't we.

Paul

Sorry if I mislead you in my first post....

Its not solely a marine rating as I mistakenly said..

Its the rating numbers that are with the kite mark...

I had lower EN ratings than those specified.The photos in chapter 6 maybe do not emphasise this enough ?

They must look like one or several of the ones shown on the BSS chapter 6..and equate to the required rating..or its a fail...so I was told...

Many home extinguishers have lower ratings that these.

.......and, to throw a spanner in the works........quoting from Chgapter 6:-

Portable fire extinguishers manufactured prior to the introduction of EN3 may not have fire ratings marked on the extinguisher. Such extinguishers maintained in good condition, properly certified and satisfying the navigation authority’s previous individual and total weight requirements are acceptable. More information about this is available on www.boatsafetyscheme.com or by post or email from the BSS Office.

plus,

Firemaster 1000PR B/C [brass/Chrome] models marked without the ‘Kitemark’ are acceptable.

.......and, to throw a spanner in the works........quoting from Chgapter 6:-

Portable fire extinguishers manufactured prior to the introduction of EN3 may not have fire ratings marked on the extinguisher. Such extinguishers maintained in good condition, properly certified and satisfying the navigation authority’s previous individual and total weight requirements are acceptable. More information about this is available on www.boatsafetyscheme.com or by post or email from the BSS Office.

plus,

Firemaster 1000PR B/C [brass/Chrome] models marked without the ‘Kitemark’ are acceptable.

I hear what you say...BUT...as my inspector said to me:

"In these days of tough economic climate...if there is any little thing that your insurance company can use to avoid paying a claim...they will. Any slight failure or grey area on your part...could leave you with no boat and no money. "

Of course..he's right..and on that basis...I'm not taking any chances.!!

My nephew works in IT for this mail order company. Although they offer a wide range of extinguishers, the link takes you to the automatic, halon substitute (FE36) ones he sourced for me.

Ideal for engine bays since they will trigger & be effective on any type of fire whilst leaving no residue.

Does anyone get their extinguishers 'serviced' or simply replaced? - and what is the trigger for doing either?

I had mine serviced. They were discharged and refIlled at the IWA National at Redhill. At the following BSS inspection the inspector was not interested. So long as they don't have an expiry date, not damaged and the pressure is in the right place O and all the markings are right he is happy.

Additional comment: You should read read BSS manual 6.1.3. The service is only a "requirement" if the extinguisher has passed it's expiry date. "Best practice" recommendation however is that the extinguishers are serviced annually. We all do that don't we.

Paul

I would suggest that you remove them and give them a very thorough shaking every year at least as dry powder can go quite solid with vibration from the engine on a boat. When discharged in this state you could well only get a small percentage of the powder out.

I had mine serviced. They were discharged and refIlled at the IWA National at Redhill. At the following BSS inspection the inspector was not interested. So long as they don't have an expiry date, not damaged and the pressure is in the right place O and all the markings are right he is happy.

I would suggest that you remove them and give them a very thorough shaking every year at least as dry powder can go quite solid with vibration from the engine on a boat. When discharged in this state you could well only get a small percentage of the powder out.

As I mentioned before..(and not picking on you)

If you are fire damaged...and the insurance company finds an extinguisher problem..an expiry date (even if refilled) ..or a 'grey area'....do you think they will pay out ??

As I mentioned before..(and not picking on you)

If you are fire damaged...and the insurance company finds an extinguisher problem..an expiry date (even if refilled) ..or a 'grey area'....do you think they will pay out ??

Sorry I don't see where you are coming from. I had the serviced, discharged and refilled. I am advising people to shake there extinguishers as I know that dry powder goes hard with vibration. None of what I have said is outside what is required to have extinguishers in good order and actually adds to it.

Sorry I don't see where you are coming from. I had the serviced, discharged and refilled. I am advising people to shake there extinguishers as I know that dry powder goes hard with vibration. None of what I have said is outside what is required to have extinguishers in good order and actually adds to it.

.......... he must just be having a complicated day :rolleyes:

Exactly...!

That simply doesn't sound correct to me;

I don't think there have been any changes between the BSS requirement now, and what it was 4 years ago.

In fact the BSS standards relating to private boats are dated 2005, and I doubt the requirements have changed since then.

They are also not specifically marine standards.

I think you will find actual "expiry" or "use by" dates are not actually common on many recently supplied extinguishers.

Certainly all I have bought in the last 5 years or so have a manufacturing date, but nothing by way of expiry.

On my recent BSS my examiner said that provided extinguishers have correct standards marking, the required combined rating, and the needle is "in the green", then they will pass, so obviously yours is being pickier than anything the BSS guide actually spells out.

Obviously the thing about inverting them from time to time, to stop the powder compacting makes sense too, and he repeated that advice. Not something that can be examined though - just something else worth doing.