Life Jackets

dekker

Featured Posts

Hello Boaters

I think that it is about time for swmbo and I to start wearing protection when cruising rivers. We are not getting younger and our swimming is not getting stronger so would experienced users please give us some advice on make, type price and benefits of differents brands. Thanks

Hello Boaters

I think that it is about time for swmbo and I to start wearing protection when cruising rivers. We are not getting younger and our swimming is not getting stronger so would experienced users please give us some advice on make, type price and benefits of differents brands. Thanks

I'd get as good an automatic inflating life-jacket as one could afford - (they're not called 'life-jackets' for nothing !)- - -and make sure you fit replacement air 'cylinders' regularly.

If you're ever in the unfortunate situation where you need them - - you need them to work - - - brilliantly!

Edited to add:

We have the same as these Cosalt 275N.

Bought them 2nd -hand from a RNLI station (though had them refurbished & re-charged)

Edited by Grace & Favour

There are lots of good brands of proper 'professional' lifejackets. You will ned to spend about £70 for one.

There are two basic types, self inflate which require you to pull the ripcord, and auto-inflate which inflate as soon as they are immersed in water.

I am a very strong swimmer, very confident and experienced IN the water, but I do know that fully dressed with a big warm overcoat, my swimming abilities are pathetic. I also know that if I fell into a simple benign canal lock in the middle of winter while single handed a lifejacket could be the difference between me making it to the ladder or not, hypothermia sets in very quickly - I know that from experience!

Hello Boaters

We have these from this seller -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2xNEW-SEAGO-CLASSIC-AUTO-GAS-INFLATION-LIFEJACKET-180N-/110880499117?pt=UK_SportingGoods_LifeJackets_PFDs_SM&hash=item19d0fe25ad#ht_1397wt_1163

I don't recall paying that much for them though the price seems to have increased quite a bit since we bought ours....

We don't use them routinely for canals however.

Edited by MJG

Please let me know how that trick is done.

In my experience it's not a question of "if" you fall in, it's "when" :P

To a degree that is true but my one and only dip so far was down to carelessness and hurrying rather than taking care. Whilst you can't eliminate genuine accidents or equipment failure I would say a lot of falls in are due to people doing something that with hind sight they would look back and think - I wish I hadn't stepped there/on that/over that or some other such thought...

I don't recall paying that much for them though the price seems to have increased quite a bit since we bought ours....

Isn't this called life-jacket "inflation ?

(Coat, jacket, please !).

Hello Boaters

I bought two auto inflate life jackets and for each I bought a spare inflation cylinder. My thinking is that after I've fallen in I am now without a life jacket unless I can fit a new cylinder

I bought two auto inflate life jackets and for each I bought a spare inflation cylinder. My thinking is that after I've fallen in I am now without a life jacket unless I can fit a new cylinder

You also need the firing mechanism not just the gas cylinder to rearm them.

btw - it is useful to have a small weighing scales. The way to test the cylinder is to weigh it. Each cylinder has it's weight stamped on it at manufacture. A significant change will tell you that the cylinder is no longer usable. A small weighing scale costs only a few £s on eBay

You also need the firing mechanism not just the gas cylinder to rearm them.

Yes I was thinking about that as I wrote

Something I need to double check

Yes I was thinking about that as I wrote

Something I need to double check

We had our jackets checked by the RNLI recently. Both were found to be in good condition but the firing mechanisms were very short dated. We have been advised to change them even though they have never been fired.

Another job for this weekend's list before we head to Whitby.

The test is whatever model you buy, will it hold your head out of the water? If not it's just a bouyancy aid and of limited benefit. James

Yes, you must consider the possibility of a bang on the head or a broken limb when you fall. A good life jacket should automatically turn you face up

For your purposes automatically inflating lifejackets are probably the best bet (I prefer a manual, but that's because I sail and expect to get wet fairly regularly). 150 or 175N are the ones to go for - the 275N jackets are designed for people wearing heavy clothing or carrying tools, and if a normal person uses them then they're likely to be trapped on their back, unable to turn over and swim (a not insignificant problem with lifejackets, at worst they reduce you to a passive bystander, unable to get yourself out of trouble or assist with your own rescue). Crotch or thigh straps are vital, as otherwise the lifejacket has a tendency to ride up and be useless. If you're doing really lumpy water (unlikely in a narrowboat), then a spray hood is also necessary, and a SOLAS approved light is not a bad thing, though it adds about £20 to the price and needs servicing every year or two. (I know of at least one case on the Broads where having one would probably prevented somebody drowning - he fell in whilst checking his mudweight on South Walsham Broad, and while he could shout to his wife on board the boat, she couldn't see him and he couldn't see her, and after about 45 minutes he got too cold and drowned).

Most of the good advice has already been given, so I will also recommend Crewsaver and Seago as good reliable makes. Auto Inflate and mininimum of 150 n, 175 if you can afford. I would very strongly advise crotch or thigh straps as previously mentioned. There have been some recent cases of people falling overboard, but on attempted rescue their lifejackets have been pulled off of them. Also where a safety line has been connected but no crotch strap, there is a recent well documented case of the lifeline pulling the jacket over their face and holding them under water while still attached to the boat. As also mentioned, a light is very worthwhile as mentioned previously.

If you are going to get a life jacket, get a good one, wear it and wear it properly secured, as it is too late when you are in the water to wish you had spent another £20 or had done up the crotch strap instead of leaving it loose!

Finally, don't forget that if you fall in, you have to get out, so have a means of getting yourself back on the boat if possible, as it will take probably 3 people to drag you back onboard with no boarding facilities.

Roger

"and after about 45 minutes he got too cold and drowned). "

Superficially a pedantic point, but he didn't drown, he died of hypothermia. There are two big enemies, drowning and the cold. People often overlook the cold. The lifejacket only protects against the first. Dealing with the cold requires strategies. You need some way of getting out of the water, and that is not as easy as it might seem. As an example, because I am often single handed, I envisage a self-rescue involving removing my lifejacket so the I can shed the heaviest of my clothing. And on big rivers I keep a handheld waterproof VHF radio attached to my lifejacket.

My more general point is that the lifejacket should only be part of a greater strategy.

Its extremely difficult to get especially an adult out of the water without using force,force which could perhaps break an arm.

I carry a wooden ladder about 8' long which doubles as a gang plank with a removable plywood centre panel. The ladder is long enough to rescue someone from most canals and shallowish rivers.Indeed i used mine only last year to rescue a heavy lady who'd fallen in from the boat behind me,no way could i have pulled her out without injuring her.I just put my ladder down and she simply climbed up and out all covered in slime and weed. If the person who has fallen in shows signs of panic even though they're holding on you must secure them first by placing a rope strop loop under their arms,yank em up as much as possible and moor them up to say one of your boats bollards.By doing this it will give you time to access the situation,make the victim feel safe and at ease until you get help or rig up a tackle to fish em out. But the ladder is the kiddy even if its too deep to touch bottom,just lash the top wrungs to a bollard with a mooring rope. In cold weather the victims legs may have become numb and unable to climb which may mean you climbing down to assist.

And a good stiff drop 'o' Rum afterwards to finish off with. :mellow: