Life Jackets

dekker

Featured Posts

I knew a woman whose husband drowned when his automatic lifejacket failed whilst he was out fishing, they withdrew that particular type but the jackets are still made. When I last saw her the court case with the manufacturer was still ongoing after several years but there was no doubt as the cause of the failure :(

as in he fell in...

Surely if you fall in you stand a good chance of drowning, if something you are wearing happens to save you this is incidental...

as in he fell in...

Surely if you fall in you stand a good chance of drowning, if something you are wearing happens to save you this is incidental...

It is a few years ago but as I recall he was a non swimmer and obviously couldn't cope, the inquest findings were that if the bobbin on his jacket had activated as it was supposed to then it was almost certain he would have survived.

I believe they had to recall hundreds of thousands of the jackets.

Oh god now I'm terrified (and still broke). I suppose I had better get one before something dreadful happens. I have not fallen in yet but it will probably happen now I have read this and my last thoughts will be "damn should have got one".

Maybe if I can avoid falling in and dying before my birthday I can ask for a lifejacket (seriously!). Of course I am starting the big move next week with various helpers at various tages so I probably should buy 2 now.

I am so entirely hopeless.

If they are a decent make then I think you can upgrade them by just buying an automatic rearming kit.

I'm pretty sure this is the case for Crewsaver but you'd have to check with the manufacturer, to confirm.

I didn't realise that was possible - thanks! The make is Parmaris, not sure if that's a decent make or not. We bought them from Preston Marina and they certainly weren't cheap!

I'll look into it.