Is *anyone* going to Braunston this year?

Chertsey

Featured Posts

I've sent off my booking form for Braunston, but so far I haven't spoken to a single other person who's planning to go.

Reasons given include:

It might be cancelled

There won't be enough water to get there

It was too big last year and we're fed up with it

We're going to the Weaver do instead

I love the Braunston gathering. It's where I first fell in love with old boats and will always be special for that reason. Even last year, when we were the second last boat to set off on the five hour parade, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I know they've limited the numbers to seventy five, which would make for a good but manageable festival, but I'm beginning to doubt that anything like that number are actually going to turn up. It would be awful if it was a sad shadow of its former self this year.

So, is there anyone out there who IS planning to go?

Probably doesn't count as I'm boatless, but I'll be there spectating and snapping away as usual. Somewhere near the marina bridge so smile and wave and I'll get some pics for you!

Ditto me. I ususally stand under the east end of the white bridge fliming away (see Youtube "MrGig2010").

I'm afraid that things have a habit of changing. As in much of life's rich pageant, enjoy it while it lasts, next time it might be different.

We are expecting to be there with "Sickle", but although I'm sure I sent off a form several weeks back, have heard nothing from them.

The lock restrictions are still with us, although opening hours have been recently eased by a bit.

We would also expect to be at the Stoke Bruerne Gala even 2 weeks before Braunston, although again no acknowledgement received.

(Stoke Bruerne 9th/10th June, Braunston 23rd/24th June)

EDITED TO ADD:

I think the "it has grown too big" argument may be less of an issue this year, in the circumstances. I think it could be better for a somewhat reduced attendance, actually.

Edited by alan_fincher

I have heard various suggestions being considered but I think the recent rainfall may have reduced some of the concerns. There were rumours of a restriction on loaded boats, and the present lower levels at Tring may have effected this anyway. Total numbers being restricted is a bit difficult to manage because I think some boats just turn up anyway and are not that concerned about registering. There could even be a extended restriction on genereal mooring in the area, which may ease the parade.. My own opinion is that those partaking in the parade are not in the least bothered by the delays and jams,its all part of the "crack". I even think it now appeals to the general public and any attempts to sanitise the parade will work against the festival.

It is important that all those taking part are conscious of the other boaters trying to get through, most private boaters I have spoken to enjoyed the experiance and the last thing they will do is complain. However if BW get too many complaints they may be forced to take action. Certainly the feedback from the widebeam that went through on Friday last year was very positive, they were grateful for the help and enjoyed the experiance.

I hope as many boats as possible turn up this year, and that we get similar weather again, its one of the events I always look forward to

Rumours amongst the volunteer lockies seem to suggest that some of the restrictions on locks maybe lifted shortly. Now they have the volunteers they will still be there to supervise and save water, the locking of flights overnight may change.

We are expecting to be there with "Sickle", but although I'm sure I sent off a form several weeks back, have heard nothing from them.

As far as I recall from the last two years it is perfectly normal not to hear anything once you've sent your form in, until you actually arrive and they tick you off the list.

So that's one coming. Hooray!!

PS. I think it will certainly be a reduced attendance. Not only have the organisers voluntarily imposed a limit of 75 (which would actually be a pretty good number) but so many people who have gone in previous years have decided to give it a miss. :(

Edited by Chertsey

As far as I recall from the last two years it is perfectly normal not to hear anything once you've sent your form in, until you actually arrive and they tick you off the list.

So that's one coming. Hooray!!

PS. I think it will certainly be a reduced attendance. Not only have the organisers voluntarily imposed a limit of 75 (which would actually be a pretty good number) but so many people who have gone in previous years have decided to give it a miss. :(

We've decided to go despite possible problems. The butty is one hundred years old and it will be the first time it's been to the Braunston show. For us the show is the highlight of our boating year.

We've decided to go despite possible problems. The butty is one hundred years old and it will be the first time it's been to the Braunston show. For us the show is the highlight of our boating year.

At this rate we'll have to bring our butty as well to make up the numbers!

Look forward to seeing you there. It's the highlight of my year too.

• Greenie 2

We ask for parking tickets, because we have no choice but to deliver the boat earlier, and take it back later, but to come to the actual event by car.

So at the least, I would expect those at some stage.

Oh, good! - Glad you have changed your mind.

Obviously the lock openings are now less restrictive than they were, which can help a bit.

I will not be going,to me all the crowds and people look a frightening prospect especially as I don't really know most of the historic boat crowd at all so it would be all the way there and back on my own and nobody to hang out with if I got there. I gave up attending rallies by van a long time ago because without a boat it just becomes an unsettling experience.

To be honest I don't think Halsall and I would really fit in.

I will not be going,to me all the crowds and people look a frightening prospect especially as I don't really know most of the historic boat crowd at all so it would be all the way there and back on my own and nobody to hang out with if I got there. I gave up attending rallies by van a long time ago because without a boat it just becomes an unsettling experience.

That is a real shame. I well remember the kindness you showed to me and Irene when we first turned up at Ellesmere Port with Alton looking a complete wreck (the boat that is, not me and Irene!).

George ex nb Alton retired

You can hang out with us! I don't think it's going to be that crowded this year either.

When we turned up two years ago with Chertsey only just back in the water, no cloths, no gunnels, red oxide cabin... people could not have been nicer or more welcoming.

The only thing I would complain about is that the music in the beer tent in the evenings has been repulsively loud.

When we turned up two years ago with Chertsey only just back in the water, no cloths, no gunnels, red oxide cabin...

Was that really two years ago. Already? Time really does speed up as you get older!

We'll try and visit by car this year, braving the floods and the droughts to escape the Fens by boat is out of the question.

MP.

i first went to this knowing very few people, but you soon get chatting, end up in the bar, do some more chatting, find a cash point to get more money to do some more chatting.......etc...... its a great event, i haven't been able to take a boat yet but it doesn't detract from anything, TBH, one of the main reasons to take a boat is to join the parade, which is more congested than the M25 on a Fri afternoon at rush hour.. Of all the annual events, this ranks highly at the top, very welcoming, very informal, a nice relaxed environment, but the music can get a bit loud in the tent..... go for it, you know you want to!

Regards

Dan

Unfortunately, I have taken up this thing called 'work' and have to work through the weekend of the Braunston Boat Show - it will be the first one that we have missed for a long time.