that ‘end of gas bottle’ smell

Davo_Willow

Featured Posts

LPG is odourless so they add an odourant, ethyl mercaptan, so you can smell a leak.

This settles and becomes more concentrated, as the bottle empties and, at the very end, is so concentrated that it doesn't all burn off, making the smell stronger than usual.

LPG is odourless so they add an odourant, ethyl mercaptan, so you can smell a leak.

This settles and becomes more concentrated, as the bottle empties and, at the very end, is so concentrated that it doesn't all burn off, making the smell stronger than usual.

Fantastic! So much knowledge on this forum!

Sounds like a 1930's starlet!

I often wondered what made the smell...thanks x

Sounds like a 1930's starlet!

I often wondered what made the smell...thanks x

I always thought the name of the architectural feature "Doric Column" would work well for a TV detective.

I always thought that "Renault" was the little known sister of that well known acting family of three brothers!

I can't help it. I'm trying to think of three brother actors by the name of Dauphine

My BSS guy told me it was that, as the gas bottle emptied, more air was around in the mix and the ethyl mercaptan mixing with that air enabled us to detect it. Like when him indoors and I are doing our wine tasting, sniffing etc. ... the wine aroma mixed with the air enables our noses to pick up various elements.

We humans can detect 50 parts per billion of ethyl mercaptan and it's the skunk smell too! In terms of wine, methoxypyrazines are a key compound and we can detect a billionth of a gram per litre! It's present in high concentrations in unripened grapes (the vegetal/cat's pee elements in some Sauvignon Blanc).

My BSS guy told me it was that, as the gas bottle emptied, more air was around in the mix and the ethyl mercaptan mixing with that air enabled us to detect it.

This is, however, incorrect.

There is no more air in a gas bottle when full, as there is when empty or half empty.

This is, however, incorrect.

There is no more air in a gas bottle when full, as there is when empty or half empty.

I didn't mean in the bottle but when the gas is coming through into the cooker etc.

I didn't mean in the bottle but when the gas is coming through into the cooker etc.

There is still no air (hopefully) until the gas reaches the point of ignition.

The only thing you smell is ethyl mercaptan, unburnt due to its greater concentration in the LPG.

Yes there is a higher concentration in the air that hits your nose, due to the reason I put in my first post.

You can smell it because there is more of the gas present, logically reaching the conclusion that there is fractionally less, not more, air.

Edited by carlt