My noisy Eberspacher

homer2911

Featured Posts

I have finally fitted a silencer to the exhaust of my ancient Eberspacher. What a difference - it now sounds more like a fan (not a very noisy fan at that) and less like a jet engine. I will not now be embarrassed to use it of an evening! Less than £40 from Selby Boats (via Ebay), and next day delivery

Edited by homer2911

I have finally fitted a silencer to the exhaust of my ancient Eberspacher. What a difference - it now sounds more like a fan (not a very noisy fan at that) and less like a jet engine. I will not now be embarrassed to use it of an evening! Less than £40 from Selby Boats (via Ebay), and next day delivery

I had a length of stainless flexy exhaust pipe made up for mine to route exhaust gases away from the nice white gelcoat of the sugar scoop bathing platform on my last boat. It also had a noticeable silencing effect.

On our bank holiday curry cruise we had an early morning start from Pollington to catch our tide at Goole. It was a cold and frosty morning but very pleasant with blue skies and plenty of sunshine. The narrowboater we were moored very close to (his bow fender on our transom) opened his bow doors and asked how we managed without any heating onboard. I had to let home down and say that our Webasto had been on for the last hour and a half. He was amazed that it was so quiet.

The silencers do make all the difference. Luckily ours was fitted with one when we bought it :cheers:

The silencers do make all the difference. Luckily ours was fitted with one when we bought it :cheers:

Same here and ours does indeed seem a lot quieter certainly than some others in our marina in particular - one of the reasons it's nice to get out in the winter....

Silencers make a huge difference and all my new install have included one for some years, but beware of the vehicle type sold on Ebay and the ones that come with non marine kits, they are not gas tight and have no place on a boat. It's also worth remembering that the maximum allowable exhaust length is considerably reduced when fitting a decent silencer and if you fit one to an already longish exhaust you risk increasing back pressure and the likelyhood of premature coking. The best silencers come as a complete unit with the silencer welded to the exhaust tube with the maximum allowed length already dictated by the oveall length of the assembly.