vetus bowthrusters

STIG

Featured Posts

Here goes, I`ve thought long and hard before putting this on here, but I`m running out of options. Whilst on previous threads I`m not a particular fan of bowthrusters, but do acknowledge they can have there benefits, my boat has them but I keep having difficulty in getting them to work efficiently.I feel that if I have them on board they ought to be working.

I have looked at the website and there doesn`t seem to be much that can go wrong.

An engineer looked at it all last year and did get them working but reckoned it wasn`t worth spending much time on.

This year I get the same click when trying to work, just a click. I have taken the top off and given it a little tap and only a little tap , this gets it going but it sparks and looks like it may fire, sounds worrying :wacko:

Anyone any clues , I am bracing myself :cheers:

Here goes, I`ve thought long and hard before putting this on here, but I`m running out of options. Whilst on previous threads I`m not a particular fan of bowthrusters, but do acknowledge they can have there benefits, my boat has them but I keep having difficulty in getting them to work efficiently.I feel that if I have them on board they ought to be working.

I have looked at the website and there doesn`t seem to be much that can go wrong.

An engineer looked at it all last year and did get them working but reckoned it wasn`t worth spending much time on.

This year I get the same click when trying to work, just a click. I have taken the top off and given it a little tap and only a little tap , this gets it going but it sparks and looks like it may fire, sounds worrying :wacko:

Never actually cast eyes on a bow thruster but assuming it is little more than a motor with a gear box and prop attached then it not going to be anymore complicated than the avarage electric motor.

You say it kicks into life when you tap it? I've heard of boater leaving the boat over the winter and then returning the following year and find the thruster has packed up then there can't be a lot wrong with it other than a bit of corrosion gumming up the internals at a guess.

I know sticking brushes can cause the effects you are experiencing. Might be worth giving the brushes and commutor a blast of electrical cleaner to free everything up before delving further.

edited to say most motors will spark around the commutor which gets worse the more dirt and crap is in the vicinity.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Some sparks are to be expected with the huge currents the motors on these draw. Brushes or dirty contacts on the contactors (big solenoid relays) that control motor direction may be to blame for the intermittent operation. Poor power cable connections are another.

After disconnecting supply batteries, try undoing all the major connections & checking for corrosion, cleaning if necessary with emery paper before re-connecting. Break & re-make any connectors to clean connections on those as well. If that doesn't effect improvement have a look at the motor brushes, cleaning armature commutator at the same time.

my experience of clicking without activation - low voltage due to poor battery arrangements, and burnt contactor points (call Albright International for help).

PS: apparently the burnt points were the result of low voltage causing them to chatter.

Edited by ChrisPy

And check to make sure that the supply cables nuts (on the two heavy duty relays) are really well tightened - - I've known the high current gradually erode the connections if not properly tightened.

And secondly - - I've also known the control panel (with the two < > buttons) be faulty - and that resulted in no more than a 'click' from the throwbuster

Edited by Grace & Favour

I had this prob. Solved by replacing the brushes and cleaning the comutator. Vetus say check brushes for wear every year. Worn brushes can quickly burn out the comutator then you've got real probs.

Hi, I have also had this problem on a couple of boats, in both instances it was sticking brushes.

Take care when removing the brushes from their holders, too much force and the connection lead will pull out of the brush itself.

Once out you can determine if they are worn and need replacing, if OK, give the four sides that mate with the brush holder a good rub with some fine sandpaper.

Make sure the brushes are a nice sliding fit in their holders and reassemble.

My other recommendation would be to use the thruster on a regular basis, whether you need it or not. It will benefit from the use and you will benefit that it will work when you want to use it.

Regards

Roger

All sounds like good advice to me.

Touch wood ours has been very reliable with the light use we have given it. Not the most power full thing, but another string to your bow if you on your own or it too deep to use a pole.

Only issue we have had is the anode falling off creating a hole in the gearbox casing where the missing bolt was.

I have no idea why this wasnt a blind hole, but it very much wasnt.

Daniel