Are there any laws restrictions against drink boating?

KirraMisha

Featured Posts

Is it illegal and are the rules any different for companies renting out dayboats?

Thanks.

You can now be prosecuted for being "drunk in charge" of a boat - same rules as for motorists.

Hire companies are free to make whatever rules they wish as part of their contract of hire.

Having seen how folk behave (sometimes) on day boats I'm not surprised....

You can now be prosecuted for being "drunk in charge" of a boat - same rules as for motorists.

Hire companies are free to make whatever rules they wish as part of their contract of hire.

Having seen how folk behave (sometimes) on day boats I'm not surprised....

For some strange reason the boating/drinking law covers boats over 7m long, ......strange as most day boats are probably short of this mark.

I am quite sure that some rule or law could be inflicted against someone in charge of a smaller boat and causing damage/injury or worse, however, the drink/boating law doesn't specifically cover this. (unless it has changed recently)

I would have thought the hire and reward insurance that the boatyards must operate would have something to say on this subject. (Mind I'd have to admit been squiffy on a punt on the Cam before now I guess)

Thanks for the replies.

So is there no way of reporting a hire company that turns a blind eye to customers turning up with boxes of beer and handing over the keys?

No, and to be honest, if (say) 8 blokes turn up for a long weekend with a crate of beer each, it is a long leap to "piss up at the tiller"; they may be going to moor in the middle of nowhere and thus not going to the pub, and a crate, over three nights, isn't that much. Unlikely I know.

And I would say, as I have before, the most likely danger from alcohol is falling in the cut after mooring up.

What you do about a hire company that turns a blind eye to reports of drunken and dangerous behaviour whilst under way I don't know.

Is it illegal and are the rules any different for companies renting out dayboats?

Thanks.

The law at present relies on BW Bye-laws, carrying a fine of up to £100, which would require a fairly serious degree of intoxication;

44. No person shall navigate any vessel on any canal or take any

part in the navigation, mooring or handling of any vessel on the

canal whilst under the influence of drink to such an extent as to

be incapable of having proper control of the vessel.

There is a revised law on the statute books that isn't yet in force (s80 Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003), which would make the road DD limit apply to the canals for boats over 7m long (i.e. excluding many day boats), and would come with a maximum of £5,000 fine and 2 years in chokey.

So, we go from one set of rules that imposes a pitiful penalty on people who are outrageously drunk, to another that still only allows the same penalty for the only people who habitually cause a problem, but imposes a MUCh stiffer penalty with a much stricter cut-off on people who aren't causing a problem.

Madness!

The law at present relies on BW Bye-laws, carrying a fine of up to £100, which would require a fairly serious degree of intoxication;

44. No person shall navigate any vessel on any canal or take any

part in the navigation, mooring or handling of any vessel on the

canal whilst under the influence of drink to such an extent as to

be incapable of having proper control of the vessel.

There is a revised law on the statute books that isn't yet in force (s80 Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003), which would make the road DD limit apply to the canals for boats over 7m long (i.e. excluding many day boats), and would come with a maximum of £5,000 fine and 2 years in chokey.

So, we go from one set of rules that imposes a pitiful penalty on people who are outrageously drunk, to another that still only allows the same penalty for the only people who habitually cause a problem, but imposes a MUCh stiffer penalty with a much stricter cut-off on people who aren't causing a problem.

Madness!

Thanks for clearing that incorrect legality up for me Dave, I thought the 7m law had been passed already.

But with DD the practical penalty feared most is loss of licence to drive.

If done for drunk navigating there is no licence to be revoked (other than perhaps the boat license) so it's just a question of affording the fine, meaning the law will have no teeth when it comes into force.

In addition, on a boat with multiple crew members, there is endless scope to quibble about who was aactually in charge and doing the navigating.

Mike

Well when/if it does become law:

Penalty

A person guilty of an offence under this Part shall be liable—

(a)on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, to a fine or to both, or

(b)on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum.

No, and to be honest, if (say) 8 blokes turn up for a long weekend with a crate of beer each, it is a long leap to "piss up at the tiller"; they may be going to moor in the middle of nowhere and thus not going to the pub, and a crate, over three nights, isn't that much. Unlikely I know.

And I would say, as I have before, the most likely danger from alcohol is falling in the cut after mooring up.

What you do about a hire company that turns a blind eye to reports of drunken and dangerous behaviour whilst under way I don't know.

I saw a hire boat at the weekend that had a barrel on the back deck! and the beer was flowing

I saw a hire boat at the weekend that had a barrel on the back deck! and the beer was flowing

There have been recent convictions for people drunk in charge of a pushchair, also a horse. Fortunately not at the same time. Nor on a canal! :rolleyes:

Someone DID get caught drunk driving a boat in Devizes a year or two back, so I guess that the law IS in force!

Dave

It's not a case that you can be drunk in charge of a boat, just that the breathalyser doesn't apply. Indeed I'm unsure of the power of the police (or anyone else) to breathalyse a boater, although if they did, and the boater were well over the limit, this could be evidence.

Were they caught, or did a successful prosecution result?

Of course if I'm driving down the motorway with Juno on a trailer behind me then the law applies :rolleyes:

Guest wanted

(Mind I'd have to admit been squiffy on a punt on the Cam before now I guess)

The May-Ball in Oxford we arrived in a punt.

(You fell down in the beer-tent, unashamedly drunk).

We were wrong, we were wrong, but so young and so in love.

- Viv Stanshall

Of course if I'm driving down the motorway with Juno on a trailer behind me then the law applies :rolleyes:

How about if Val was driving and you were being towed behind on Juno, in the Captain's chair, necking your fourth Superbrew since breakfast and it is still not dinnertime?

Someone DID get caught drunk driving a boat in Devizes a year or two back, so I guess that the law IS in force!

Dave

A law is in force (BW bye-laws, and possibly some other venerable legislation), which provides for lesser penalties.

THE law, which provides a more draconian punishment is not in force and anybody convicted under it should be having SERIOUS words with their Solicitor.

If done for drunk navigating there is no licence to be revoked (other than perhaps the boat license) so it's just a question of affording the fine, meaning the law will have no teeth when it comes into force.

Two years in Strangeways would have the effect of preventing you from driving the boat for that period.

How about if Val was driving and you were being towed behind on Juno, in the Captain's chair, necking your fourth Superbrew since breakfast and it is still not dinnertime?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Carl, you aren't supposed to make me spit my whisky coffee all over the keyboard!

Wouldn't be guilty of drink driving, but I've lost count of just what we might be guilty of in that scenario :lol: