Easter Sunday in Worcester

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

well I dont see what problem some of you have with this the only danger if any at all was to those involved.

as for historic boat over working boat as far as im know 3 are used as intended for the transport of cargo.

and dont get me started on slowing down every boat is different and I know for a fact that one of the boats in the picture to be going the same speed as me at tickover is going at a normal crusing speed. So infact they could do with going faster so I dont have to knock my boat out of gear and loose stearing

Got back from our Easter jaunt on Sunday and I'm getting round to sorting my photos.

We were heading downriver, just short of Worcester city centre, minding our own business, and look what came round the bend.....

DSCF1783.jpg

We got out of their way, got the camera out and ENJOYED :clapping:

DSCF1786.jpg

I don't know what the Viking Afloat boat following us made of it though!

DSCF1787.jpg

I have a feeling that Victoria and Canis Major belong to CWDF members. I couldn't see a name on the other two boats.

It fair made our afternoon, the sound as much as the sight. Thank you all, ever so much :captain:

Now, repeat after me "I do not want a boat with a trad engine, I do not want a boat with a trad engine, I do not want a boat with a trad engine"

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Beautiful picture!!!! Bit bias as Tiggers is my daughter and my husband is little Al who I think could have been on back of Canis Major when picture was taken. Only wish I could have been with them !!!

Sarah, you will get me in trouble....

You two !!!! Blind leading the blind lol

I have just joined on here so I can write a post and you will proberely not hear much else from me as I don't know alot about boating but my husband and daughter are great lovers of boating.

Tiggers (Canis Major) is my daughter and my husband Little Al was with our daughter on the trip to Droitwich and also part of the four abreast on the river.

All four of these boats are owned or steered by youngsters, and I think it is wonderful that they are having fun, something that is not easy to have at this time, all these youngsters work hard and deserve a holiday, they all keep there boats beautifully and all have a great passion for boating and the canal. We need these youngsters to take boating forward and it is the likes of these passionate youngsters that will help keep our canals and rivers going. My daughter works at a marina which she chose over law after getting her law degree, ( far from an idiot i would say) she earns a low wage but loves her job, she also lives on her boat. James Bills works so hard delivering coal to boaters all over the cut and goes out in all weathers very often breaking ice so as not to let his customers down. I have meet this young man and think he is a really great lad and I would be proud of him if he was my son.

James and Micheal A properely done more single hours boating than most of the people on this forum, I have seen Micheal put Victoria in a winding hole and turn her around when I think most 45ft boats would struggle. We have some great youngsters passionate about boating Sarah with Ling, micheal and Emu, the young Fuller's, Barney Ball, Micheal Askin, Richard Cocks, and his brother Andy the Burge boys, just to name a few !!! I have meet all these youngsters and think I would be right in saying I class them all as friends as they all have the time for Al and I even through we are old duffers!!! So give then a chance you might be pleasantly surprised !!!!

Well said

Chris - B

I have just joined on here so I can write a post and you will proberely not hear much else from me as I don't know alot about boating but my husband and daughter are great lovers of boating.

Tiggers (Canis Major) is my daughter and my husband Little Al was with our daughter on the trip to Droitwich and also part of the four abreast on the river.

All four of these boats are owned or steered by youngsters, and I think it is wonderful that they are having fun, something that is not easy to have at this time, all these youngsters work hard and deserve a holiday, they all keep there boats beautifully and all have a great passion for boating and the canal. We need these youngsters to take boating forward and it is the likes of these passionate youngsters that will help keep our canals and rivers going. My daughter works at a marina which she chose over law after getting her law degree, ( far from an idiot i would say) she earns a low wage but loves her job, she also lives on her boat. James Bills works so hard delivering coal to boaters all over the cut and goes out in all weathers very often breaking ice so as not to let his customers down. I have meet this young man and think he is a really great lad and I would be proud of him if he was my son.

James and Micheal A properely done more single hours boating than most of the people on this forum, I have seen Micheal put Victoria in a winding hole and turn her around when I think most 45ft boats would struggle. We have some great youngsters passionate about boating Sarah with Ling, micheal and Emu, the young Fuller's, Barney Ball, Micheal Askin, Richard Cocks, and his brother Andy the Burge boys, just to name a few !!! I have meet all these youngsters and think I would be right in saying I class them all as friends as they all have the time for Al and I even through we are old duffers!!! So give then a chance you might be pleasantly surprised !!!!

I would give you a greenie but I've run out...well said x

Very well put mum, thank you, I only wish I had inherited your skills of coherency! It is just a shame that you could not come with us, but we will get you boating soon!

Edited by Tiggers

I reckon we should hear more from you, having the courage to join and post this amongst contentious others shows a spirit needed. Please post more.

(I have to say that the curmudgeonly posters are only a small proportion, they just get lots of attention because it seems we all love a fight/discussion...we might want to deny the grumps but judging by the viewing figures it makes for interesting forum debates!)

<<SNIP>>youngsters and think I would be right in saying I class them all as friends as they all have the time for Al and I even through we are old duffers!!! So give then a chance you might be pleasantly surprised !!!!

Excellant post. Greenie from me also.

Welcome to the forum.. :cheers: :cheers:

Do you know how wide the Severn is Martin - there are trip boats on there maybe as wide as three narrow boats breasted up. I can't agree with Laurence - I think they are unlikely to have come unstuck doing this, frankly, as the minimum draught quoted on the Severn, even at low water levels is 5 feet, and none of these boats will be anywhere near the bottom, in my view.

Obviously done for fun, but (:tounge_slightly_in_cheek:) I can see potential advantages - they need to occupy a limited 70 foot of lock landing, not over 250 foot of lock landing - so can still leave room for others!

Canis Major belongs to Tiggers, on this forum, as had been said Victoria to Mike Askin, and Archimedes steerer is undoubtedly "Tug Major" on here.

Like David, I also think 4th boat is Emu - so there is plenty here for people to continue to moan at, I feel sure, given the complaints when Archimedes and Emu passed North through Cow Roast!

I'm not sure if Emu's owner lurks here or not.

Intimidating on the Severn was meeting a 500 ton Petrol Tanker at speed sucking the water well away from the banks and pushing a 3 to 4 foot curling wave in what felt like a little narrow boat.

• Greenie 1

I reckon we should hear more from you, having the courage to join and post this amongst contentious others shows a spirit needed. Please post more.

(I have to say that the curmudgeonly posters are only a small proportion, they just get lots of attention because it seems we all love a fight/discussion...we might want to deny the grumps but judging by the viewing figures it makes for interesting forum debates!)

While I can't agree with some of your terminology I can't help but agree with the sentiment of that post 100%...have a grennie.

Edited by MJG

All four of these boats are owned or steered by youngsters, and I think it is wonderful that they are having fun, something that is not easy to have at this time, all these youngsters work hard and deserve a holiday, they all keep there boats beautifully and all have a great passion for boating and the canal. We need these youngsters to take boating forward and it is the likes of these passionate youngsters that will help keep our canals and rivers going. My daughter works at a marina which she chose over law after getting her law degree, ( far from an idiot i would say)

she earns a low wage but loves her job, she also lives on her boat. James Bills works so hard delivering coal to boaters all over the cut and goes out in all weathers very often breaking ice so as not to let his customers down. I have meet this young man and think he is a really great lad and I would be proud of him if he was my son.

James and Micheal A properely done more single hours boating than most of the people on this forum, I have seen Micheal put Victoria in a winding hole and turn her around when I think most 45ft boats would struggle. We have some great youngsters passionate about boating Sarah with Ling, micheal and Emu, the young Fuller's, Barney Ball, Micheal Askin, Richard Cox and his brother Andy the Burge boys, just to name a few !!! I have meet all these youngsters and think I would be right in saying I class them all as friends as they all have the time for Al and I even through we are old duffers!!! So give then a chance you might be pleasantly surprised !!!!

Well said that lass , have another greenie ;)

Well what can I say all this lovely positive feed back!!! And lots of greenies, had to ask dawn about them lol was not sure what to think about being given greenies. Think I might just stick around as it seems there are a lot of great people on this forum thank you everyone for making me feel so welcome

Agree - No real probs with that ! Wonder how it steered tho ! :blush:

I breasted up with two other boats on the Thames while waiting to lock up just above Pangborne heading to the IWA National and the control ability heading upstream was magic. We were floating about for hours and just a slight bit of power,forward or reverse on the out boats worked really well.

Max , Greenie for putting it all in perspective. To the miseries and you know who you are, go forth and multiply. It,s probably best somebody gets the forum JCB out to shift the sour grapes before they become a hazard to navigation .

Mike,greetings to you and Victoria.

Max , Greenie for putting it all in perspective. To the miseries and you know who you are, go forth and multiply. It,s probably best somebody gets the forum JCB out to shift the sour grapes before they become a hazard to navigation .

Thanks.

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a Big Northwich coming the other way

...or worse, a bigger Northwich (Royalty) coming the other way!! :lol:

Mike

4737304_black_and_white_sheep-600.jpg

Edited by MJG

OK,

Can't resist.

Just going through a disc of photos supplied to me relating to "Sickle".

This is before our ownership - honestly!

IMG_3785.jpg

Photo courtesy Matt Parrott

(Believed to be on the Weaver in 2010)