3 Mobile Phone Contract

Ange

Featured Posts

Latest update - and I'm a very unhappy bunny ...

We visited the Tesco store where we bought the phone and signed up for the contract and actually found the salesman who sold us it. He was astonished that we'd had these problems, assured us that his 3 rep had made it clear that we could tether / make a hotspot with this contract and advised us to phone 3.

And I did. Oh boy what a lengthy conversation that was. The chap from 3 desperately wanted to help me but it was beyond his remit to upgrade me from a £23 per month contract to a £30 one. If I want to do that I have to pay the whole £23 per month till the end of my contract then they'll allow me to upgrade. He did try to persuade me to buy a dongle, apparently £5 per month will fulfull my needs - I asked him how many gb's that would buy me but he never did tell me. In the end, only after I got really ratty he contacted Tesco and gave me an e-mail address for them.

I've lost the receipt from Tescos from when we entered the contract, but I'm thinking that doesn't affect my statutory rights, does it? We paid with a Tesco credit card, I've still got the packaging with the bar code, so they can hardly deny that they sold it to us I'm thinking.

I e-mailed Tesco. They've ignored me. I chased Tesco. They've ignored me. I'm in a world of pain here and dearly wish I could turn the clocks back.

So what do I do next? I know that legally I'm in the right - Tesco have contravened the Sale of Goods and Services Act quite blatantly in our case. But I don't know what steps to take next - how does little me try to take on such a goliath?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would also work on the fact that Tesco have ignored you. If you have emailed them and chased them and they have still ignored you then it becomes a 'customer relations' issue and they tend to be pretty hot on that.

I would pursue them at a higher level through customer relations, it is possible that the phone issue will then be resolved during the same process as a matter of courtesy but whatever the issues with the phone contract, they have defaulted over basic customer relations and I suspect that might be your best route.

You can also get much higher up the ladder that way than you might otherwise just trying to argue on a 'technical' issue?

I would also work on the fact that Tesco have ignored you. If you have emailed them and chased them and they have still ignored you then it becomes a 'customer relations' issue and they tend to be pretty hot on that.

I would pursue them at a higher level through customer relations, it is possible that the phone issue will then be resolved during the same process as a matter of courtesy but whatever the issues with the phone contract, they have defaulted over basic customer relations and I suspect that might be your best route.

You can also get much higher up the ladder that way than you might otherwise just trying to argue on a 'technical' issue?

I reckon you're right. I received an automated response to both e-mails saying their target was to reply within 48 hours - the first e-mail was nearly two weeks ago! I think I'll send a letter to Head Office via snail mail complaining about the lack of customer service firstly on the misselling and secondly on ignoring my complaint.

I reckon you're right. I received an automated response to both e-mails saying their target was to reply within 48 hours - the first e-mail was nearly two weeks ago! I think I'll send a letter to Head Office via snail mail complaining about the lack of customer service firstly on the misselling and secondly on ignoring my complaint.

I would. They are blatantly in the wrong over the customer relations issue and they tend to be very sensitive about that.

Plus it should also mean that in the process of sorting that issue out they will take a sympathetic approach to the original problem by way of compensating :)

Well, before I could send the letter to Tesco Head Office I got this e-mail this morning:-

Dear Mrs L,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

In response to your enquiry, I apologise for the delay in replying.

We are currently looking into your issue, and we are awaiting a response from the network.

We will be in contact shortly with a resolution for you.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact me.

Kind Regards,

So I'll hold fire for the moment and see what happens. I think the tone is promising though.

• 3 weeks later...

All sorted - finally!! :D

After chasing Tesco a few times the phone suddenly died - they'd terminated the contract but didn't let me know first! Never mind, I'm happy because we now have a new contract with 3 for a phone on the One Plan, as I type Dave & I are both sharing the mobile hotspot. And I've got unlimited internet data - joy! Plus it costs £25 per month, which is a fiver less than I was expecting to pay.

I'm happy :)