Uninvited Guests

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

The other day I had got home before FTS at about 5 on a nice sunny evening. I was sitting quietly on the sofa with a cup of tea, when I heard the clonk, clonk of someone getting on to the boat. As I was expecting FTS home at first I though it was him, but when I looked up I saw a woman in a frilly dress sitting on our bow. This quickly assuaged any fears I could have had - I am open minded but you don't see a lot of burglars in pink flowery dresses!

So, I got up and went to speak to her. When she saw me emerge, she jumped off in a fright. Her friend had been taking a photo of her from the bank. I was pretty annoyed but didn't shout at her, just said, "Look, I don't mind if you want to take a picture, but please, ask first! This is my home!". She was extremely embarrassed, but had the cheek to say "I didn't think anyone was home", when she had not made any attempt to check this. I really wouldn't have minded had she knocked and asked politely. In fact I am more than happy to answer tourists questions about life on board when I'm in a good mood. It was the sheer lack of respect for the fact that my boat is private property that got me - she didn't knock, just jumped on the bow! I don't expect she knew that people live on the boats, as she was Chinese, but you wouldn't climb onto someone's car and have your picture taken either.

Anyone else had this happen? If it had been at night I'd have been much more scared and would have resorted to the 'headtorch, hammer and mooring pin' strategy along with a few choice expletives!

• Greenie 1

The other day I had got home before FTS at about 5 on a nice sunny evening. I was sitting quietly on the sofa with a cup of tea, when I heard the clonk, clonk of someone getting on to the boat. As I was expecting FTS home at first I though it was him, but when I looked up I saw a woman in a frilly dress sitting on our bow. This quickly assuaged any fears I could have had - I am open minded but you don't see a lot of burglars in pink flowery dresses!

So, I got up and went to speak to her. When she saw me emerge, she jumped off in a fright. Her friend had been taking a photo of her from the bank. I was pretty annoyed but didn't shout at her, just said, "Look, I don't mind if you want to take a picture, but please, ask first! This is my home!". She was extremely embarrassed, but had the cheek to say "I didn't think anyone was home", when she had not made any attempt to check this. I really wouldn't have minded had she knocked and asked politely. In fact I am more than happy to answer tourists questions about life on board when I'm in a good mood. It was the sheer lack of respect for the fact that my boat is private property that got me - she didn't knock, just jumped on the bow! I don't expect she knew that people live on the boats, as she was Chinese, but you wouldn't climb onto someone's car and have your picture taken either.

Anyone else had this happen? If it had been at night I'd have been much more scared and would have resorted to the 'headtorch, hammer and mooring pin' strategy along with a few choice expletives!

What a bloody cheek........just one thing though if you ever are confronted by a real villain remember that they may easily overpower you and use said hammer and mooring pin against you....I kid you not !! :(

We had someone stick their head through the side hatch and proceed to describe all "the mod cons" to their son. He seemed to b etaken aback when I suggested this was a bit of a cheekand an invasion of privacy. His only reply was "well I was just showing my son what a narrowboat is like inside!" I said I hope he doesn't mind if I pop round to his hous one day and poke my head around his backdoor for a good look.

• Greenie 1

Don't moor in Stratford upon Avon then or if you do learn some far eastern languages so you can converse with them. :)

Basically my experience is that it can happen anywhere there is a large tourist contingent but the Brits are just as adept at staring through windows etc.

I moor at Camden when I can get a space. If I'm in, I then spend most of the day frightening stoned teenagers who have seen our semi-trad deck and think its the ideal secluded place to skin up.

Not intentionally, it's just that I tend to open the back hatch if I hear someone get on.

ETA once, when at Camden, we had an Aussie family not only get on our boat but come in! That was a bit much!

Edited by Lady Muck

I wish I could get away with somebody fitting on the fore end for picture taking... !

Whenever we've been out on the boat, both me and Kez have had instances where people have stood on the back deck and have started poking their face through the slide! We've had the back doors shut before now but they still do it.

As a trading boat, people come to the boat more often when they need coal or diesel etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to turn away trade but jumping on the back of the boat, and just sticking in your head in whilst having a good nosey around just isn't the done thing. Please be polite, and knock on the side of the boat whilst waiting patiently on the bank.

As we live out of the back cabin, people don't seem to realise that you have your bathroom, bedroom, kitchen and lounge all in one small space. It's out personal space and we do get upset when people invade it.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to talk Kerry out of sticking the fire poker or the tiller bar up some ignorant nose!

FTS ?

Martyn

Countless times. I've had a gang of Japense tourists all sit in my bows while mooored at Islington, a group of Brazilian youth sit on the cruise deck at Little Venice and an Asian youth wander on to the back deck at Southall. I've had two drunk Hackney poseurs stagger on the cruise deck at Mile End and drunk lunatics jump on board while trying to move through Camden.

It drives me nuts but what drives me more crazy is the people who point the camera at me when I'm on the bows or the roof lollygaging about reading or chatting with friends. I find that somehow more invasive. Like I can't enjoy relaxing at home.

Countless times. I've had a gang of Japense tourists all sit in my bows while mooored at Islington,

Get camera, point camera at bow end, engage reverse gear SUDDENLY. You should get some great souvenir snaps and you'll be able to sell copies to the ones who resurface.

I wish I could get away with somebody fitting on the fore end for picture taking... !

Whenever we've been out on the boat, both me and Kez have had instances where people have stood on the back deck and have started poking their face through the slide! We've had the back doors shut before now but they still do it.

As a trading boat, people come to the boat more often when they need coal or diesel etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to turn away trade but jumping on the back of the boat, and just sticking in your head in whilst having a good nosey around just isn't the done thing. Please be polite, and knock on the side of the boat whilst waiting patiently on the bank.

As we live out of the back cabin, people don't seem to realise that you have your bathroom, bedroom, kitchen and lounge all in one small space. It's out personal space and we do get upset when people invade it.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to talk Kerry out of sticking the fire poker or the tiller bar up some ignorant nose!

Joking apart - as you are trading which is more of an invitation for people to visit, would it be pertinent to put a notice up to the effect of 'if you want serving' please knock and wait. I don't think boaters would ever want to offend on purpose and probably don't appreciate your personal space whilst you are still 'at work'

• Greenie 1

Tend not to get any problems with Victoria - but then you need a step ladder to get onboard! :P

Mike

That would be one bonus of an historic boat I'd yet to consider! Few are quite as difficult to climb on to as Victoria though!

We were moored in Banbury Saturday afternoon and there was obviously a wedding nearby as the photographer started arranging the bride and bridesmaids on the boat moored the opposite side of the canal to us in order to get some "interest shots."

I think the owner was aboard though and he looked OK with the whole thing.

Edited by owenk

Joking apart - as you are trading which is more of an invitation for people to visit, would it be pertinent to put a notice up to the effect of 'if you want serving' please knock and wait. I don't think boaters would ever want to offend on purpose and probably don't appreciate your personal space whilst you are still 'at work'

No, a valid suggestion, which is why I've acquired a blackboard. I can then put "closed" or "Back in 10 minutes" or "Please knock and wait".

Even at the likes of 8 or 9pm when we are getting cleaned up and changed to go off to the pub !

I and some friends did it once. We were looking at some boats for sale, and having been told that one was open, just go and have a look, we mistook the boat in question. We trooped onto the wrong one,where there were some people happily knocking back a bottle of wine - after the initial shock they were very amused and very friendly!

That would be one bonus of an historic boat I'd yet to consider! Few are quite as difficult to climb on to as Victoria though!

People are genuinely interested in old boats and often ask if they could have a look in the cabin. I usually say yes and I've had some really interesting conversations.

The engine also is a bit of a magnet and again, I'm usually happy to talk about it. What does annoy me is the bloke who puts his foot on the gunwale in a proprietorial sort of way, ignores me, sticks his head in the engine hole and proceeds to tell hismate all about it – especially when what he is saying is nonsense. I also seethed inwardly once when a rivet counter knelt down by the stern and told his friend that all my rivets were about to pop – presumably because they weren't sticking out like false ones.frusty.gif

There is also a well known eccentric who does the rounds. He has a great knowledge of and passion for old boats. I was a bit surprised though when, without so much as a "by your leave" he jumped into the engine room to make a note of my engine number for his records!

We were moored outside the 'Blue Lias' PH at Stockton when a cheeky bloody kid swung in through our hatch, I shouted 'oi what do you think you are doing'? he said 'f##k off I KID YOU NOT

We had someone stick their head through the side hatch and proceed to describe all "the mod cons" to their son. He seemed to b etaken aback when I suggested this was a bit of a cheekand an invasion of privacy. His only reply was "well I was just showing my son what a narrowboat is like inside!" I said I hope he doesn't mind if I pop round to his hous one day and poke my head around his backdoor for a good look.

lol good reply, bet his face was a picture