Good places to eat

jelunga

Featured Posts

We live in Aberdeen and have our boat near the alleged curry capital of the world aka Birmingham. We have visited numerous curry houses, the ones on Broad Street mentioned - overpriced crap - and several in the "balti triangle" plus the ones local to our Marina at Fazeley. None of them are a patch on our local favourite in Aberdeen, the Jewel in the Crown. It is fantastic and well worth the 400 mile (each way) detour! Be jealous!

I have similar views having driven the 40 ish miles to bham to partake in (as believed) the mecca of curry, initially my own glutony drove me to such adventures, indeed wherever i visit i seek a good quality curry, however my tastes are not yours or yours mine. With the amazing amount of choice these days competition is significant. Im not one for bright lghts and funky chairs n tables, just want quality food, in my town i use the same grubby take away as i have for many years, i travel past possibly 20 others all with5 stars from the eho, the one I use is so proud of climbing from 1 star to 2. But the honesty of the food, the quality of the meat, the fact that all is homemade inc samosas the size of pasties :) . Perhaps we should start cwdf star rating like AAstars for places we all believe in, and trust our recomendation to others. oh the take away is called The City Indian Gloucester

• 2 weeks later...

We had an exceptionally good curry at the Brinjol in Weedon last year.

(the lamb phal was a blast!) :blush:

We also enjoyed eating at this this restaurant last October.

Also they offer (or they did then) a bargain £9.95 meal on Wednesday evenings (complete meal, very wide choice). However, if you are going on that evening I would recommend booking as it was obviously very popular and they only just had room for 2 more.

Bob.

I know not of your preferred beer/drink with a curry . . . .

But should you embrace a Phal - - avoid any Guinness / strong stout / Barley wine . . . One needs retain some level of self-control at all times - - no matter how much concentration is required

We love Indian food. Dare I say the phaal is generaly too much chilli and very little flavour. The best currys are of the " Mirchi " variety these are pepper based, they are drier but hotter than a phaal with immense flavour. The Jaan in Woodstock does a magnificent version ( 5 mins taxi from Thrupp ) Oxford canal.

Beer and lager tend to exacerbate the palate when drunk with a hot curry, a pint of cold Mango Lassi is a better alternative. :cheers:

We love Indian food. Dare I say the phaal is generaly too much chilli and very little flavour. The best currys are of the " Mirchi " variety these are pepper based, they are drier but hotter than a phaal with immense flavour. The Jaan in Woodstock does a magnificent version ( 5 mins taxi from Thrupp ) Oxford canal.

Beer and lager tend to exacerbate the palate when drunk with a hot curry, a pint of cold Mango Lassi is a better alternative. :cheers:

For the very best curry if you are at Thrupp catch a taxi to Heathrow, then a flight to Delhi.

• Greenie 1

For the very best curry if you are at Thrupp catch a taxi to Heathrow, then a flight to Delhi.

A tad extreme old bean....and you may well get a genuine case of " Delhi Belly " to boot :cheers:

Super. We are heading that way tomorrow. Curry two night on the trotts!

Thanks David. That is our destination. Maybe curry on the trotts for several nights then

If you are going that way, the Mango Lounge near to Watford Gap is outstanding! It is on the bridge over the canal right by the 'Gap'

If you are going that way, the Mango Lounge near to Watford Gap is outstanding! It is on the bridge over the canal right by the 'Gap'

Thanks but no going that way. We are at Weedon waiting for our newly blacked bottom to dry (Stowe Hill Workshop, £8.50 per foot) then heading back north again to MrSmelly and Grace and Favour country where there is more water, cheaper pubs and restaurants.

Just as an antonymn to the topic, we went to the newly refurbished Navigation Gastro Pub at Stowe Hill on the GU. We were not prepared for the second mortgage that was needed.

1 1/2 pints of Eagle, a port and brandy, a Bulmers Pear Cider (I know, I know. A contradiction if ever there was one. It was Perry), a packet of cheese and onion crisps and a little pot of cashews. OVER £18 !!

You could have knocked me down with a feaather.

OK I know you should support your local canal side business, but those prices take the piddle. Plank and Leggitt at Sawley we could have a meal for two with drinks for that price!

Some excellent (and authentic) curry recipes on this site

Some excellent (and authentic) curry recipes on this site

Goodo, will have a squint. I have just whacked a quick curry together I must admit I am being lazy and utilising a jar of Pataks Extra Hot curry paste ( Their vindaloo paste is a bit girlie ) oops can I say that :blink: And some nice lamb fillets etc yum yum......... :cheers: