What should I buy?

Narrow Minded

Featured Posts

Hi

We are going to buy our first boat. Having looked at dozens we have narrowed it down to 2. What would you do?

The first is a 1999 Reeves hull fitted out by kingsground. It is a 60 foot cruiser stern and needs a complete repaint and some internal refitting. It has a Beta 43HP engine and bow thruster. We need to get it surveyed.

The alternative is a new chinese built boat, well fitted out and has just about all that we need.

We plan to use it for about 7 months and year and can get a BW mooring within 50 yards of our home.

All comments welcome.

Mike

As someone who bought a new boat I would go for a second hand one. Nothing against Chinese boats as I know very little about them. Secondhand boat will not depreciate so much so if in a few years time you decide you want something else the loss will not be so bad. I recon until you have lived on a boat for a few years you do not know what you need not what you want.

Reeves and Kingsground were/are both very respected in their relevant craft. Reeves were volume shell producers and used by many fitter-outers. If it was my decision then I think that I would go that route rather than the somewhat unknown Chinese build. I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe that these Chinese builds have been long enough on the market and sold in enough volume to establish a reputation (good or bad) that Reeves and Kingsground have over the years.

Roger

Hi

We are going to buy our first boat. Having looked at dozens we have narrowed it down to 2. What would you do?

The first is a 1999 Reeves hull fitted out by kingsground. It is a 60 foot cruiser stern and needs a complete repaint and some internal refitting. It has a Beta 43HP engine and bow thruster. We need to get it surveyed.

The alternative is a new chinese built boat, well fitted out and has just about all that we need.

We plan to use it for about 7 months and year and can get a BW mooring within 50 yards of our home.

All comments welcome.

Mike

For me it is a no brainer. The Graham Reeves boat may be 12 years old but it is from a good builder and fitted out by a reputable company.

I presume that with the work needed on the Reeves boat, the prices will be similar. The Reeves boat has already depreciated and will not depreciate much more if looked after, but like any new boat the Chineese boat will loose a third of it's value overnight, and in a few years time who knows what the market will think of it.

Edited to add:- most of what I have said has already been said by others, I just took too long to write my response

Edited by David Schweizer

I would agree with the other comments and go with the Reeves/Kingsground. You mention that with that boat you would need to get a survey and of course that is an absolute must, but even for a brand new boat it is well worth considering having it surveyed. It gives an independant, prfessional view on your purchase and may save a lot of problems lataer on.

Good luck in your decision.

Howard

Subject to survey, I'd go for the Reeves boat. Haggle like mad on the price though. To get a boat professionally repainted can cost a LOT of money (ask around for a few quotes), and doing it yourself can be a difficult and time consuming business. Narrowboats have very long flat sides, so any imperfections show up very clearly :(

I'd go Reeves every time, a respected builder with a good long heritage.

We have a Reeves hull now 14 years old.

When we bought her 3 years ago the worst pitting on the hull was 0.5mm

More about E-W here: http://www.eastwestmarine.co.uk/aboutus.html

and one for sale here: http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/new-narrowboats/details/1210.aspx

That photo appears to show no tumblehome on the cabin sides at all. Compare the EW boat for sale with the boat in the background. Tumblehome is desirable for all sorts of reasons. For me there would definitely be no doubt about it, having seen that.........Reeves/Kingsground.

Roger

That photo appears to show no tumblehome on the cabin sides at all. Compare the EW boat for sale with the boat in the background. Tumblehome is desirable for all sorts of reasons. For me there would definitely be no doubt about it, having seen that.........Reeves/Kingsground.

Roger

Well at least I have learnt what tumblehome is from this, but yes those chinese narrowboats have almost vertical sides.

Well at least I have learnt what tumblehome is from this, but yes those chinese narrowboats have almost vertical sides.

Lack of tumblehome is a pain on a couple of fronts.

1. The cabin front corners are more prone to accidental damage by hitting bridge arches etc.

2. When you want to walk along the gunwales it is much more difficult when you have no tumblehome as it forces you to lean outwards slightly and that is awkward.

Roger

Mine is a Reeves/Kingsground. 10 years old now. Recently had a full 'out of water survey' and no corrosion whatsover, just minimal pitting at a few points on the baseplate. The Internal fitout by Kingsground is still in first class order, with many practical features!

The Beta 43 is a well proven and respected engine.

I would doubt that a Chinese offering will be the same after 10 years!

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Despite the squarish nature of the EW boats they do seem well built/fitted out at least the one we went on when we were looking... all the running equipment is pretty standard Shire engine, webasto heating etc so its not like you'll have trouble finding some obscure chinese parts. Presumably any warranty issues are sorted out with the dealer anyway (and not some chap in shanghai).

We definitely didn't want a 'project' so wanted something we could step into and use straight away and with the budget we had, we did consider a couple of new boats at the budget end of the market, but in the end we dropped on a good second hand boat that both of us instantly liked, put in a cheeky offer and got it.

The problem with the older boat might be how much cost/time it will take to refresh it and make it how you want it and how much of that do you want to do yourself. A mooring 50 yards away from home is a massive advantage if you're taking on more of a project though so if the price is right and your handy then you shouldn't lose money. of course with the new boat you should just be able to move your things in and not have to worry about engines/gear boxes etc for a good few years...

Still Reeve for my money...the door handle for starters on the chinese one is nothing short of :sick: for me!!

The Reeves one has already done it's money loss from new, and will be a more substantial and ...thoughtfull build.