Computing

Neil T

Featured Posts

Sure this has been discussed before but........

PROBLEM : I've got my 12V television with all the necessary computer connections so it can be used as the computer screen as well as playing DVDs, CDs, and being the actual television.

I had planned on buying a mac mini computer and installing in the cupboard beneath the TV with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard - all beautifully integrated and minimum gear on show.......... until I discovered that the new mac mini has the voltage transformer no longer as a 'brick in the lead' but within the computer itself and no possibility of digging it out.

So I go on the net and all over the world there are people on boats / yachts / trucks etc. fulminating against Apple for not understanding the 12V computer user and two US companies offering to take your mac mini and do a dismantling operation that invalidates the warranty but gives you a 12V computer.

I do NOT want to have my inverter on just to ramp up the voltage to mains only to pull it down to 12 or 6 or 5 V for the innards of the computer. I also don't want a laptop if poss, just a properly integrated, well tucked away system.

ANY ADVICE? Doesn't have to be a mac given that they're so uninterested in my custom.

The fact that this;

http://mikegyver.com/gyverisms/files/DIY%20for%20Mac%20Mini%20in%20Car.html

Converts to run on straight 12V, ie the usual DC-DC converter is not needed.

...make the Mac Mini a lovely 12V machine.

Worth noting also that the losses running on an inverter against 12V-24V are around 15% (on a macbook pro) charging the battery

these people are also very useful http://www.carnetix.com/

I do NOT want to have my inverter on just to ramp up the voltage to mains only to pull it down to 12 or 6 or 5 V for the innards of the computer. I also don't want a laptop if poss, just a properly integrated, well tucked away system.

ANY ADVICE? Doesn't have to be a mac given that they're so uninterested in my custom.

What's wrong with a lappie? They're specifically designed for low power operation and you can still plug in an external monitor.

If the lid gets in the way of the power button, just take it off: :)

6893091105_4dc64b82e6_b.jpg

Next step is to get a 120mm fan and sling it underneath, and yes I do need to get the hoover out! :blush:

cheers,

Pete.

If I was in your position I'd hold fire for a few weeks and then try a Raspberry Pi.

At 5v 1a you can easily run it from a 12v converter from Maplin and at a price of <£20 for the machine you're not going to loose a lot if you're not happy with it.

Rik