Fire at Braunston Marina today

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

This morning at Braunston Marina, the building occupied by Bob Mitchell Narrowboats caught fire.

The fire was in the roof of the building. The Fire Service attended with two appliances, and put out the fire with hoses before removing part of the roof which was consequently damaged by water and fire, for health and safety reasons.

I am told that the fire started due to all of the years of accumulated sawdust, wood shavings etc in the roof/ beams around their stove's flue, finally catching alight due to the heat generated from the stove and then spreading. (This was told to me by the marina office, so I cannot vouch for it's accuracy but I have no reason to believe it is incorrect.)

No one was hurt and no other buildings were affected.

No boats in the area appear to be damaged- As the Fire Service were rolling up their equipment and looking to leave the marina, a boat that had presumably been removed from Bob Mitchell's dock when the fire broke out was being bow hauled back in- But again I don't want to swear that no boats were damaged, as I did not get up close to where it was all occurring to ask anyone. (I am sure there is nothing more irritating to the people involved in a crisis than having unrelated gongoozlers hanging around and gossiping.)

Edited by Starcoaster

Carl it's the building that if you came by boat and turned the boat in under the iron bridge and kept going in a straight line with the diesel point and pump out on your left, it would be straight ahead of you at the end of the baisin. (Not the other one that has a dock that you'd pass on your left just before you got there.)

Edited by Starcoaster

Imagine they turned the water on then!!!

I think you will find that when the fire service have an appliance right by a canal basin, they are usually resourceful enough to fight a fire, even if the mains water has been turned off! :lol:

(Mind you a fire on Tring summit might present more of a challenge in future!)

Carl it's the building that if you came by boat and turned the boat in under the iron bridge and kept going in a straight line with the diesel point and pump out on your left, it would be straight ahead of you at the end of the baisin. (Not the other one that has a dock that you'd pass on your left just before you got there.)

This one?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=braunston&hl=en&ll=52.287172,-1.211318&spn=0.000454,0.001206&hnear=Braunston,+Northamptonshire,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&z=20

Richard

I think you will find that when the fire service have an appliance right by a canal basin, they are usually resourceful enough to fight a fire, even if the mains water has been turned off! :lol:

(Mind you a fire on Tring summit might present more of a challenge in future!)

I hope they brought a pickaxe with them

Panic over as I realize my boat is safe at the other end of the marina. Sad news but at least no one appears hurt.

Quite fortunate that it has good road access for the fire crews.

I think your signature is a bit off considering the thread.

Only joking of course.

Martyn

The roof that went up (It would seem that most of the roof has been removed/ caved in due to the water hoses and fire, not just a section as I initially thought- hell of a mess) was some kind of fireberglass panelled thingy, pretty flimsy and new rather than part of an original feature.

I cannot explain too well what I mean as I don't know what it's properly called!

The roof that went up (It would seem that most of the roof has been removed/ caved in due to the water hoses and fire, not just a section as I initially thought- hell of a mess) was some kind of fireberglass panelled thingy, pretty flimsy and new rather than part of an original feature.

I cannot explain too well what I mean as I don't know what it's properly called!

It was terrible. I got trapped in the Gongoozler and had to have the full English breakfast to while away the time before getting released.

Seriously, the damage was not considerable from observation, and no one was hurt. I would suspect the chimney flue from the stove in there set the roof timbers smouldering.