(Another) question on the rules of reselling metered electric

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Service charge / standing charge is really just playing with the name. Surely it is in effect the charge you pay for the hire of the marinas equipment ie the electric bollard and unrelated to consumption. Whether or not you use the electric is up to you, the equipment is available & you should pay for it.

We pay 10p per unit & £12 quarterly service charge. (Plus Vat @ 5% & 20% respectively)

Steve

er - yes

Do you get to keep the meter when you leave? Maybe you could sell it back to them or the person taking your spot.

Sorry, I didn't enquire further as the boat will only spend a few more weeks at this mooring. I suppose if I've bought it then it must be mine but I doubt there is a market. Marinas would probably not allow one to turn with a meter as it could have been "adjusted".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am intrigued with the question of vat on an electrical hook up. I am charged vat at 20%, on an optional hook up + electricty unit charges, whilst the regulations for vat state

'Optional hook up charges to electricity and gas services for touring caravans/motor homes will be subject to VAT at the reduced rate. Any charge which is not optional forms part of the overall pitch fee which is standard-rated.'

Seeing little difference between a marina berth and a caravan pitch I wonder what the rate should actually be.

• 1 year later...

25p a unit , card meter. Doesn't stop other people shoving up to 10quid in and leaving themselves plugged in all the time. Limited number of meters so I have arrived to find all plugged in to unoccupied boats and no hook up for me. I needed power for a job.

Think I will have to start using my truly noisy Petter AD1 genny, that should shake things up a bit it is evil.