I Want to Rent Out My Narrowboat

LittleAcorns

Featured Posts

First things first. Welcome

Have a look here http://www.britishwa...o.uk/license-it

especially here;

http://www.britishwa...-and-conditions

Renting it out will be the same a hiring it out.

It will have to comply with the higher standards of BSS for hire boats

http://www.boatsafet...ttheGuide_7.asp

Insurance will be higher, you will have to tell your insurers???

Edited by bottle

First things first. Welcome

Have a look here http://www.britishwa...o.uk/license-it

especially here;

http://www.britishwa...-and-conditions

Renting it out will be the same a hiring it out.

It will have to comply with the higher standards of BSS for hire boats

http://www.boatsafet...ttheGuide_7.asp

Insurance will be higher, you will have to tell your insurers???

thank you for that, just a quick question, we do not have to pay for a licence on our moorings as they are private waters, would we still have to obtain a different type of licence or would this not apply as we dont need one now.

thank you for that, just a quick question, we do not have to pay for a licence on our moorings as they are private waters, would we still have to obtain a different type of licence or would this not apply as we dont need one now.

So are you saying the boat will never go out on to BW waters. Do you have planning consent for a residential mooring?

Forget everything I posted, it is now a completely different ball game.

Little Acorns

You will have to arrange that your property (boat) is completely suitable as accommodation for tenants, is thoroughly safe (meets all expected H&S regulations, that you are fully insured as a landlord, you have the approval of your Landlord - - and that you declare your rental income as part (?) of your unearned income to HMRC.

There will also be additional H&S regulations as referred to above.

It's a ballache to do yourself because you need to jump through a lot of hoops. On the other hand, if your boat is suitable, you might be able to place it in a hire fleet as a sponsored boat? Although most I've spoken to are more interested in building the boat for you in the first place.

Edited by Morat

So are you saying the boat will never go out on to BW waters. Do you have planning consent for a residential mooring?

Where did the OP say they planned to rent their boat out for residential use? Have I missed that bit?

The owner of your mooring will not be happy about subletting.

Do you know the mooring owner? :unsure:

I'm puzzled by all these assumptions. Who knows, perhaps it was the mooring owner's idea?

Little Acorns

You will have to arrange that your property (boat) is completely suitable as accommodation for tenants, is thoroughly safe (meets all expected H&S regulations, that you are fully insured as a landlord, you have the approval of your Landlord - - and that you declare your rental income as part (?) of your unearned income to HMRC.

There will also be additional H&S regulations as referred to above.

Some of this may not apply if it's not let out for residential use. Perhaps the OP can clarify their intentions?

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

thank you all for yor feedback

we dont have planning permission for residential mooring, i was orignally thinking of not letting the rentee take it out for security reasons, although the marina it is on is fed by private water as soon as you are out its on BW waters.

This was just an idea to see if we could hang onto the boat, but i think after all the problems it could raise, its gonna have to go off to the brokers..

thank you all for your time

thank you all for yor feedback

we dont have planning permission for residential mooring, i was orignally thinking of not letting the rentee take it out for security reasons, although the marina it is on is fed by private water as soon as you are out its on BW waters.

This was just an idea to see if we could hang onto the boat, but i think after all the problems it could raise, its gonna have to go off to the brokers..

thank you all for your time

why don't you do one of those 'share schemes' might be worth looking into.best wishes Sue

Hi All

We are currently debating on weather to sell our boat or rent it out but not hire out.

Does anyonw know of any specific requirements that will need to be met, ie. insurance..ect.

thankyou

Might be worth your while speaking to 'Escape The Rat Race' http://etrr.co.uk/

They have a scheme where they let your boat for you (long term), licence, insure and maintain it in return for the letting income.

John

we still have the option open, but the boat is based in warwickshire.

Not withstanding the need for an annual landlords gas certificate if there is LPG on the vessel and it is tenanted, there may also be additional requirements for electrical certificates and as the boat doesn't move, it may be within scope of the latest fire regulations, you'd be well advised to check this matter out. Fire brigades seem to be taking the fire regs very seriously at the moment.

On the other hand if you rent it out as moving boat - a residential launch, it will then need a BW licence, and you'll need the non-private version of the BSS examination. You'll also need suitable insurance for the boat to meet BW's licensing T&Cs.

HTH

Rob

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice

• 7 years later...

I am looking to privately rent a boat on the Thames for a few weeks.  I have had my own boats for 45 years and still have a boat . But I want to take  my elderly mother on holiday and she needs more space and something on one level. I do not want to change my current boat for something larger as I downsized a few years ago and the current boat is adequate for me alone.

I need to rent either a canal boat or a grp that is on one level similar to the old Bermuda .  I am an experienced and careful skipper, trained by my dad who was a Waterman.,  I would like something ideally located between  Windsor  and Caversham/Reading.  Between 30 - 45 foot length.  I am not looking for anything flash and modern, I am a traditional old boater.

This is a very old thread but to be honest I do not think you will get anyone on this forum offering to hire their boat out to you. You should be looking at hire companies.

Have you read this and similar topics? If so you will know that hiring ones boat for reward involves a whole lot more complications and expense than a private owner   would face and in some cases the boat may fail the stiffer tests.  As Pete says its very unlikely that you will find a private owner willing to hire you their boat. If you wonder why see if you can find references to Que Sera, a narrowboat that was privately hired, stolen and never recovered. The insurance refused to pay out.

Caversham Boat Services at Reading  have or had a couple of narrowboats for hire. I would NOT advise you to hire from Aldermaston because the locks down the Kennet to the Thames are not the easiest and they are self operated manually.

Anglo-Welsh have a hire base for narrowboats above Oxford at Pink Hill

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Jackie Wright said:

Does anyone have a canal boat that they would like to rent out for up to 6 weeks  to an experienced skipper with elderly mother and budgie.  River Thames. Please phone 07713 348320

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 12:21, Tony Brooks said:

Have you read this and similar topics? If so you will know that hiring ones boat for reward involves a whole lot more complications and expense than a private owner   would face and in some cases the boat may fail the stiffer tests.  As Pete says its very unlikely that you will find a private owner willing to hire you their boat. If you wonder why see if you can find references to Que Sera, a narrowboat that was privately hired, stolen and never recovered. The insurance refused to pay out.

Caversham Boat Services at Reading  have or had a couple of narrowboats for hire. I would NOT advise you to hire from Aldermaston because the locks down the Kennet to the Thames are not the easiest and they are self operated manually.

Anglo-Welsh have a hire base for narrowboats above Oxford at Pink Hill