HS2 Rail link petition

Emerald

Featured Posts

Understand there will be two years of debate/legal wrangling from NIMBYS before this really gets going.Also several Conservative M.Ps are going to have to knock down their servant quarters and move the staff nearer T Big ouse when line goes through bottom of garden that will never do. :cheers:

14skipper

You do know that those petitions are just a pr exersize don't you, they get filed under B , B for bin.

What i heard on the radio this morning was that thousands of people a day needed to get to Brum in a hurry ! I don't think so !

You should see the commuter traffic at commuter o'clock; not for nowt does New St see the heaviest footfall is a large radius (Europe?)

I bet people didn't like it when they started digging up the country when they started building the waterways.

Exactly the point I made to the owner of my mooring (on the early Oxford Canal) today. The canals aroused very strong opposition, and not all the projected ones were built.

I don't think this one will be either. It will be approved but put "on hold".

Mind you, I se that part of the route will follow the old Great Central main line, so perhaps people who have been campaigning for the re-opening of that line since it closed in 1967 will be happy now. Perhaps.

I hope this doesn't break any rules but as i understand this rail link is likely to affect our waterways I have supported this petition

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/353

Anyone else ave any views on it?

I will gladly sign this.

HS2 is complete bloody nonsense that hardly anyone wants or will benefit from.

What sort of halfwit would spend billions to save a few minutes on a rail journey when our defence forces are being decimated due to lack of cash?

Not to mention things like shops, pubs and factories closing down due to customers unable to afford their goods and services. The list of commerce grinding to a halt is almost endless.

There is no way this stupidity can be justified.

I can only think the politicians have been bought off by their party financier cronies feathering their nests. Nothing new there - except the blatancy of it nowadays.

They are not merely out of touch - they are on a different planet altogether. The electorate is held in complete contempt, and the parasite politicians haven't a clue what reality is to the nation.

It would be a pretty stupid waste of money even in "good times". Doing it now is unforgivable.

After a good beginning, Thatcher lost the plot (and power) with the poll tax. Cameron/Clegg are doing exactly the same thing again.

They have STOPPED LISTENING and will pay the same price. That is not just stupid - it is suicidal.

Brian

Exactly the point I made to the owner of my mooring (on the early Oxford Canal) today. The canals aroused very strong opposition, and not all the projected ones were built.

I don't think this one will be either. It will be approved but put "on hold".

Mind you, I se that part of the route will follow the old Great Central main line, so perhaps people who have been campaigning for the re-opening of that line since it closed in 1967 will be happy now. Perhaps.

I too can't help but feel this is all a bit 'pie in the sky'.....

Well here's one who does want it!!

Have you ever tried to get on a train from Brum to London before 10.00 in the morning? You can't as they are full of commuters.

How will you increase the capacity and the speed of trains to London?

Have you ever tried to get on a train from Brum to London before 10.00 in the morning? You can't as they are full of commuters.

Simple! Go back to 1980 when the journey time to London was faster than today from Birmingham and you could get a seat and have a proper meal on the train. The train then had a locomotive of around 3300hp and between 11-14 coaches which could be added to. The coaches were all air con and a lot more comfy than a pendelino. They have built in so much "recovery" time into the time table so trains arent "late" and have a absurd fetish for fixed formation trains that flexibility is removed and the journey time is equal to that of the 1950's.

Well, they could do what they've been saying for years and actually encourage big business out of London and into the rest of the UK, which doesn't seem to exist according to the Government..

Casp'

I will gladly sign this.

What sort of halfwit would spend billions to save a few minutes on a rail journey when our defence forces are being decimated due to lack of cash?

I fear that you miss the point.

The fact that this will be built for very high speed, and will provide faster journey times (and nearly halving journey times is hardly "a few minutes") is actually incidental to the fact that the current lines are at capacity.

Notwithstanding pie in the sky ideas around everybody remaining within 10 miles of home at all times, we either provide more rail capacity, more road capacity, of accept the polution consequences of ever increasing pollution.

Providing more rail capacity isn't without impact, but it is the "least worst" option.

If you are providing more capacity, it makes sense to provide that capacity as a high speed line.

perhaps not having 5-7 first class carriages containing approx 17 people may help??

I used LondonMidland from MK,LeightonB,Cheddington,Tring,Berko,HH,Apsley,KLangley and Watford for two years, the first class carriages(1/4 train length) were always almost, or entirely empty. The rest were cramped to extremes at times, but if you moved into space, you were rudely moved back to the poor peoples quarters, even though paying the highest commuter fares in the EU.

On tv tonight it was saying how any hundreds of new schools & hospitals could be built with this money. You just know that the £32bn price tag will be double in 15 years. There will be at least 3 more governments in power by the time it is built so all those for and against it will have witnessed countless waisted money whilst they argue the toss over it and by the end of it all there will be no reason to commute anywhere because of technological breakthroughs :wacko:

I fear that you miss the point.

The fact that this will be built for very high speed, and will provide faster journey times (and nearly halving journey times is hardly "a few minutes") is actually incidental to the fact that the current lines are at capacity.

Notwithstanding pie in the sky ideas around everybody remaining within 10 miles of home at all times, we either provide more rail capacity, more road capacity, of accept the polution consequences of ever increasing pollution.

Providing more rail capacity isn't without impact, but it is the "least worst" option.

If you are providing more capacity, it makes sense to provide that capacity as a high speed line.

so why not go the whole hog and announce something cutting edge and inspirational like a magnetic MAGLEV drive line, which will not only increase speeds, but also pacify the eco-warriors slightly along with reducing noise pollution.

One issue is the statement about giving Birmingham the chance to grow,which HS2 will certainly do. It'll be about the same journey time as Harrow is from central London.

What happens to places than are not on HS2? At the moment Coventry is 1 hour from London, Bham 1:25. HS2 will leave Coventry with a 1 hour train. Instead of 4 an hour it'll drop to a slower rate since everything to Bham goes on HS2. Next it'll be a local train to Bham and change to HS2, the Coventry to London train stopping since it's unprofitable. The benefits of HS2 could be huge, the risk however is to create a hinterland that looses out and goes into decline.

so why not go the whole hog and announce something cutting edge and inspirational like a magnetic MAGLEV drive line, which will not only increase speeds, but also pacify the eco-warriors slightly along with reducing noise pollution.

Because it is best to implement the top end of what is proven to work, rather than go for bleeding edge technology that may not actually deliver.

Simple! Go back to 1980 when the journey time to London was faster than today from Birmingham and you could get a seat and have a proper meal on the train. The train then had a locomotive of around 3300hp and between 11-14 coaches which could be added to. The coaches were all air con and a lot more comfy than a pendelino. They have built in so much "recovery" time into the time table so trains arent "late" and have a absurd fetish for fixed formation trains that flexibility is removed and the journey time is equal to that of the 1950's.

The 1980 did not have as many trains travelling the same line, because the signalling system didn't allow it.