Rooms to rent

Mary9

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I'm really keen to liveaboard but feel I need more liveaboard experience before I take the plunge so to speak! So I figure renting a room is a good start. I have looked on Gum Tree and Apollo Duck, although to no avail. Is there other useful websites/suggestions as to where I can search. I understand its pretty hard but I thought it might help if I was looking in the right place to start with!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Mary :-)

Mary you'll find it very hard to find anywhere to rent. I was looking to rent a liveaboard or space in a larger one for about three years before I got my boat, and in that time only two came up and were gone as soon as they were listed.

If you're in the London area or maybe any other larger cities, sometimes the odd thing does come up on Gumtree, but it's generally shares on non motored houseboats and not really the same thing...

Hi All,

I'm really keen to liveaboard but feel I need more liveaboard experience before I take the plunge so to speak! So I figure renting a room is a good start. I have looked on Gum Tree and Apollo Duck, although to no avail. Is there other useful websites/suggestions as to where I can search. I understand its pretty hard but I thought it might help if I was looking in the right place to start with!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Mary :-)

Hello Mary and welcome to the forum. Young Rob on here under the username "Wanted" has just aquired a boat along with his partner. They are currently renting a boat in the Brentford area I think, it may become available early inFebruary if it isnt already spoken for. He started a thread yesterday I think it was, titled "At last" look it up and ask him he is very helpful, it may lead somewhere you never know.

Over the years I've seen the odd houseboat for rent at places like the Thames at Chelsea. But I think you would pay Chelsea prices.

On the canal I think a rented boat would technically need a hire boat licence and the corresponding insurance and higher BSS requirements, so not likley to be viable for a 'landlord'.

David

Yes you can rent rooms on Thames houseboats, I know people who have done it before. But it's a totally different experience to living onboard a canalboat.

Never heard of anyone renting a room on a narrowboat - there just isn't room to do it! It would be like renting a broom cupboard, lol! Narrowboats don't tend to have spare rooms anyway, there aren't usually enough cabins.

You can rent an entire boat but it doesn't tend to be cheap (if you do it legally).

If you don't do it legally (i.e. the renter hasn't got the correct insurance etc. in place) then there *might* be risk to you, especially if you have no experience of boats. I saw a 'rental' boat sink very recently and its not the first one I've heard of that did so. The same boat had a fire in the roof whilst it was being rented as the stove had not been installed correctly. Had it been rented out legally it would've been safety checked for dangers like this.

In London (at least) we have seen many of the same scams for boat rentals that we see for flat rentals, so be careful. The boating community may seem all lovely and fluffy to outsiders but be warned there are wrong'uns around just the same as on land!

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you are unsure.

Yes you can rent rooms on Thames houseboats, I know people who have done it before. But it's a totally different experience to living onboard a canalboat.

Never heard of anyone renting a room on a narrowboat - there just isn't room to do it! It would be like renting a broom cupboard, lol! Narrowboats don't tend to have spare rooms anyway, there aren't usually enough cabins.

You can rent an entire boat but it doesn't tend to be cheap (if you do it legally).

If you don't do it legally (i.e. the renter hasn't got the correct insurance etc. in place) then there *might* be risk to you, especially if you have no experience of boats. I saw a 'rental' boat sink very recently and its not the first one I've heard of that did so. The same boat had a fire in the roof whilst it was being rented as the stove had not been installed correctly. Had it been rented out legally it would've been safety checked for dangers like this.

In London (at least) we have seen many of the same scams for boat rentals that we see for flat rentals, so be careful. The boating community may seem all lovely and fluffy to outsiders but be warned there are wrong'uns around just the same as on land!

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you are unsure.

I agree with Lady M. Please research all previous threads on the forum regarding renting boats and take heed of the warnings. Really don't want to see any more people ripped off, out of pocket, without their possessions or worse such as injured or even possibly dead. As I've said before sometimes it is cheaper and safer to take the plunge and buy. It's a buyers market out there with so many boats for sale. Best of luck. Stay safe.

D

Thanks all, it seems that the best idea is to rent the whole boat (heeding all the warnings obviously) or buy! Just requires a little confidence and a bit more cash. Very helpful though, thanks again :-)

Thanks all, it seems that the best idea is to rent the whole boat (heeding all the warnings obviously) or buy! Just requires a little confidence and a bit more cash. Very helpful though, thanks again :-)

I have learnt recently that the RBOA will support and help boat tenants as well as owner-occupiers.

It's a really helpful organisation with top notch information. I would urge you to click on the link and read its advice.

Regards, good luck and insist on the required gas and other electrical certificates (not just a commercial BSS certificate only)

Rob

This is not the time of year, but why not buy a little plastic cruiser in the spring and live on that till autumn? Not as good as a narrowboat, but totally acceptable in the summer. You could buy one for a couple of months rent of a house. If you are careful, you will get your money back when you sell it too.

The best deals for all these things are found by people who are already on the inside of boating. So the way in is to dive in. :cheers:

Put an advert up here, what's the worst that can happen?

Edited by drunkensailor

Have you seen this post?

Does it have rental insurance? Is it properly licensed for commercial use? Does the mooring come with any security of tenure? Is the boat owner allowed to sublet a mooring in the first place?

You'd really have to do your homework with that one. Best to contact the RBOA if you're not buying.

(Or even if you are buying!)

Edited by drunkensailor