GREEDY LANDLORD INCREASES RENT BY 45%

i love my narrowboat

Featured Posts

I was most dissappointed to arrive at Whilton Chandlery to find it empty and Richard the now ex tenant tidying up. We have previously hired boats from Richard and visited his shop on many occasions, a lovely small independant company/chandlery whose staff are always friendly and knowledgeable and never too busy to assist you with any query and give advice.

I asked Richard what has happened and in short , he informed us that the owners had increased his lease by 45%, and after some negoitiating, DID NOT RENEW IT.

Richard has had to move lock stock and barrel to LOCK TWELVE , where he has a new unit, so I trust that all customers past and present will remain loyal to a SMALL INDEPENDANT GUY who has spent the last TEN YEARS building up his business only to have the rug pulled from under his feet by a GREEDY LANDLORD.

Yes I am very cross about this as , we all know how hard it is to build up a business and in this economically challenging times to be S##T ON BY A LARGE COMPANY. not satisfied with being one of the UK's largest narrowboat brokers, they have to make life difficult for a small independant trader. WE FOR ONE WILL BE FREQUENTING RICHARDS NEW PREMISES AND WISH HIM ALL THE BEST FOR THE FUTURE.

There is a advert on Whilton Marinas website which states 'Whilton Chandlery Available to Lease' then it also says Business opportunity at Whilton Marina, Chandlery for lease, available in the new year

I BELIEVE THE NAME 'WHILTON CHANDLERY 'BELONGS TO RICHARD

I WONDER IF RICHARD KNOWS ABOUT THIS AND IF ANYONE READING KNOWS HIS MOBILE NUMBER...PLEASE CAN YOU LET HIM KNOW. MANY THANKS..

SUE AND JOE NB CAPE CLEAR,

Edited by Theo
Moderation

Is this possibly Richard Hall that also runs the Bedazzled LED light buisiness.If so he can be contacted from the Bedazzled website.

I will have a look, thanks for that. i can't remember his surname as it was 3 years ago when we hired a boat from him.

One point, you should be careful about naming & shaming actual individuals on the internet (public audience). I understand your feeling but you need to say things in a more careful way just to be on the safe side. Don't name people.

I have not said anything that is untrue as I got it straight from the 'horses mouth'.

Whilton Marina's blog says the chandlery will be reopening on 23 January under new management, and their main website links to Whilton Marina Chandlery, so presumably the previous occupant can continue to trade as "Whilton Chandlery" if he wishes.

David

Edited by Theo
Moderation

I'd need a lot more information before I'd be happy with the attribute "greedy".

A 45% increase on a level set when?

Commercial leases are often for long periods and sometimes they are well below what is reasonable when they come up for renewal.

It is too easy just to react to the straight numbers.

I'll bet a number of chandleries can only continue in business because they are travelling on old lease charges that will leave them non-viable when they are renewed to uptodate values.

Edited by Theo
Moderation

I'm sure you did, I know Richard. But you still need to be careful. Especially if spiteful individuals are involved. I wish Richard the best revenge. Even bigger success than before.

I was in there last week getting some bits and I could feel something bad in the air. These are lovely people and I will be mooching down to LOCK12 next week to check out his new place. On the understanding that this is what I am hearing? Rack-rent landlords were the bane of Ireland for centuries. Eventually the Irish simply burned them all out and suddenly the economy blossomed. Perhaps it will come to that here some day.

"lovely small independant company/chandlery whose staff are always friendly and knowledgeable and never too busy to assist you with any query and give advice."

Edited by Pentargon

I am fairly sure that Richard at Whilton is not the samae as Bedazzled. It is Richard Saillet who operated the chandlery and the hire boats. The only number I have for him is the shop one which may or may not be still in operation.

He also trades as Canals Shop on Line, the website is still live although not updated to contain this current news. imagine you will still be able to contact him via this site

www.canalshoponline.co.uk

I dont know what the current position is but the cafe that operated next door to Richard also did not resign its lease, whether that has now reopened under new management I am not sure.

Interesting.

I understand Whilton Marina have also bought Venetian Marina near Nantwich. They have assured the current tenants (RJ Marine & an 'antique' shop) that their tenancies are safe.

Edited for the totally inexcusable there/their error

Edited by dor

Ive frequented Whilton MArina, the chandlers and the cafe a good few times and always liked it there.

I hope Richard does well with the new premises and wish him all the best. I'll certainly buy from him when in the area.

I also hope that the chap running the cafe is doing alright. It's always a shame when nice people get screwed over.

Did Richard get an independent rent reviewer or arbitrator in? It costs money but usually an agreement can be reached.

The trouble then nina is he would be supporting the " jobs for the boys " brigade. I have negotiated leases over the years always on my own and always face to face with the owner. Somebody has to pay somewhere for the Independant arbitrator as with many " Jobs for the boys " people that is one of the reasons costs go up.

Last time I went into Whilton to have a nose around boats for sale, for comparison reasons only you understand, I tried to get served in the cafe and stood like a lemon at the small counter for ten or more minutesto no avail. I could hear someone in the 'kitchen' at least that's what I think is is/was, and called out and was either ignored or he was deaf. During this 'wait' I could see the place wasn't being cleaned very oftenand decided not to risk it.

Went into the chandlery and spent my money with them. Got some handy items if I remember rightly.

I like others will buy from Richard when in the area either by boat or road, which we occasionally do from our moorings.

Never liked the people at the Marina Sales. We were really interested in a boat from there some years ago after the second viewing wanted to hear the engine running, this was declined and could only go for a trial run if we put down a non-returnable deposit. When asked on what condition do we get the deposit back, the reply was if the boat sinks. We walked away of course.

Martyn

I'm sure you did, I know Richard. But you still need to be careful. Especially if spiteful individuals are involved. I wish Richard the best revenge. Even bigger success than before.

so do I, infact we are having a new kitchen fitted shortly so I know where i am going for my new cooker and fridge, and if I have to pay a little more,,hey ho , we believe in supporting our local independant companies, same as our christmas shopping, we went to Skylarks Farm shop at Staverton instead of TESCO/SAINSBURY/MORRISONS/ASDA,,, we would rather pay a little more knowing that we are helping a smaller company in this rotten economic downturn.

Last time I went into Whilton to have a nose around boats for sale, for comparison reasons only you understand, I tried to get served in the cafe and stood like a lemon at the small counter for ten or more minutesto no avail. I could hear someone in the 'kitchen' at least that's what I think is is/was, and called out and was either ignored or he was deaf. During this 'wait' I could see the place wasn't being cleaned very oftenand decided not to risk it.

Went into the chandlery and spent my money with them. Got some handy items if I remember rightly.

I like others will buy from Richard when in the area either by boat or road, which we occasionally do from our moorings.

Never liked the people at the Marina Sales. We were really interested in a boat from there some years ago after the second viewing wanted to hear the engine running, this was declined and could only go for a trial run if we put down a non-returnable deposit. When asked on what condition do we get the deposit back, the reply was if the boat sinks. We walked away of course.

Martyn

Yes we were told exactly the same thing, we like you took our business elsewhere. God bless APOLLO DUCK :-)

Edited by i love my narrowboat

>>>Snip>>> , we believe in supporting our local independant companies, same as our christmas shopping, we went to Skylarks Farm shop at Staverton instead of TESCO/SAINSBURY/MORRISONS/ASDA,,, we would rather pay a little more knowing that we are helping a smaller company in this rotten economic downturn.

<<<

That's very admirable - and I wholeheartedly support the principle

If leasing a mooring, would you support the smaller business and be going to Barby Marina instead of BW's marinas?

I do sympathise with Richard, but a business has to charge

what the market can stand. If they have another tenant going in it seems to me that the new rent offered was in keeping with what the market will stand.

It is strange really when you hear of many really big names in retail parks negoitating rents down.

I think Richard has weighed up all the odds and decided he is going to be better placed at his new premises. Whilst I'm sure a chandlers at a large marina is well placed to sell to at a premium rate and so only sell to the captive or desperate. In this day of overnight deliveries and Internet prices I for one will sop online for stuff I can wait a day or two. Seems Richard has that base covered with his online shop. :cheers:

Edited by Biggles

I too will continue to use the services of Richard's chandlery, as he has always been very kind to me, as well as giving me lots of useful information regarding my boat. He is never too busy to explain things and always advised me on which product, best suited my needs ( quite rare with some businesses these days) I wish him continuing success as hes a great bloke :)

a very happy continuing customer :)

edited for typos lol ;)

Edited by tree

LOCK 12? Can you say where this is exactly. And ILMN - I have pm'd you.

Lock 12 is one up from where Richard was before, Whilton marina is lock 11 GUC

That's very admirable - and I wholeheartedly support the principle

If leasing a mooring, would you support the smaller business and be going to Barby Marina instead of BW's marinas?

WOAH DON'T MENTION BARBY MOORING!!! I WAS ONE OF THE UNFORTUNATES WHO WENT THERE..LASTED 3 DAYS..

Lock 12 is one up from where Richard was before, Whilton marina is lock 11 GUC

No it isn't, or not unless they have relocated it (!)

Southern GU locks number Southwards from Braunston, so the bottom Whilton Lock, where the chandlery has been, and the marina entrance is just below number 13.