Which canal goes near Meriden

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell me which canal goes closest to Meriden please.

I have tried looking on Google Earth but haven't been able to pin point any canals in the area.

If people promise not to shout at me I'll say why when I've got the info I need

Thanks

Grand Union Canal runs to the west through Knowle and Solihull, good bus service from catherine de barnes and Solihull, trains are not so good as you would need to go into birmingham and back out again.

to the north is the Birmingham and fazeley canal at coleshill or looking at the map tamworth road New Arley is posssibly a little nearer.

south east is Coventry served by the timesaver bus from coventry to brum

Edited by hamsterfan

Catherine de Barnes is a good place to moor in that it is relatively quiet and there is a pub there. If you dont go as far along the Grand Union from Knowle. you can moor at Copt Heath Wharf although this right by the M42 motorway - noisy !

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.srf?x=419500&y=281500&z=120&sv=419500,281500&st=4&ar=N&mapp=oldmap.srf&searchp=oldsearch.srf&ax=417658&ay=277680&lm=1

Thanks for the info guys and yes they claim to be the centre of England (but that wont make me apologies to the Scots) my plan is to try and be in the vicinity when the Folding Bike group have their monthly ride as I am now the proud possessor of a WW2 BSA Paratroopers bike - reportedly found in one of the drop zones.

These bikes fold in 3 and were either dropped en mass or taken out individually by the paratrooper. I tried to attach a pic but if you are interested try Googling BSA Paratrooper bicycle.

Thanks again

Tony

www.tonystravels.com

Thanks for the info guys and yes they claim to be the centre of England (but that wont make me apologies to the Scots) my plan is to try and be in the vicinity when the Folding Bike group have their monthly ride as I am now the proud possessor of a WW2 BSA Paratroopers bike - reportedly found in one of the drop zones.

These bikes fold in 3 and were either dropped en mass or taken out individually by the paratrooper. I tried to attach a pic but if you are interested try Googling BSA Paratrooper bicycle.

Thanks again

Tony

www.tonystravels.com

Presumably you are will be riding to the memorial to the cyclists who lost their lives in World War 1.

(I got a warning letter from the police last year who reckoned their neighbourhood watch speed camera volunteers clocked me doing 51mph on the roundabout at Meriden in my van. At that speed my van would have been embedded in the memorial...)

Pashley make a copy of the BSA called the Paramount, its a very nice bike to ride but does not fold.

That's interesting - looks a lot more comfortable than the BSA - I like the Pashley Clubman - need a lightweight.

Hey guys maybe we could turn this forum into a bicycle forum. No - OK :mellow:

Presumably you are will be riding to the memorial to the cyclists who lost their lives in World War 1.

Yes plus lot's of rides start there, seems a good combi were I get the best of both worlds. I can get there on Rubble Queen and then ride on a vintage bike to Meriden.

Bicycles have played a big part in several wars over the years.