Clumsy wife non swimmer

Emerald

Featured Posts

As the title says I am a little worried about losing family members in the blue, sorry brown stuff. When we tried out our boat the guys at the brokerage insisted we wore a type of life jacket that was made up of just a harness and a tubular buoyancy attachment (not a full jacket). I was wondering is this strictly necessary for canals and if so does anyone know the type of thing I am trying to describe?

If it was an inverted U that sits on your shoulders that is the type most used on canals and rivers. Whilst the majority of canals are usually shallow enough to stand up in if you fall in, you can only stand up if you are conscious. Falling into a lock whilst it is operated can have fatal consequences and should be operated with care. That said there are probably less than 10 deaths p.a. At locks but these are mainly from non boaters who are doing stupid things.

We have two automatic life jackets of the inverted U type. We would typically use them on rivers. I have fallen in once where I remained conscious and the water cane up to my chest.

So, if in doubt wear one. It may save your life

Having fallen in at the water point at Hebden Bridge and being a none swimmer all I did was to stand up (eventually lol) and the water only came up to my knees.

Having said that some parts of some canals can be deep so standing up is not always an option.

I would say wearing a life jacket is an individual choice, personally we only wear them on rivers

As the title says I am a little worried about losing family members in the blue, sorry brown stuff. When we tried out our boat the guys at the brokerage insisted we wore a type of life jacket that was made up of just a harness and a tubular buoyancy attachment (not a full jacket). I was wondering is this strictly necessary for canals and if so does anyone know the type of thing I am trying to describe?

Sounds like a self inflating life jacket to me.

On the canals where you can generally walk out if you fall in my gut feeling is these are not necessary for swimmers who are in the company of others, and indeed I didn't wear one myself even when single handing. Others may disagree, citing the possibility of head injury or similar rendering you unconscious. For non-swimmers bear in mind there are places that are too deep to stand up in such as locks, and a self inflating jacket would have real value here.

On water that is too deep to stand up in, such as big rivers, all would be advised to wear them, especially if alone, even if you can swim you will tire quickly if you can't climb out.

Can be extremely difficult to get out, and better if your not in too long, weils desease is horrid

If you trawl this site you will find a number of tales of veteran boaters having had very near misses when they have fallen in the canal. Not wishing to overdramatise the situation, but the locks, bridges etc can be dangerous places and it isn't always the case that you can just stand up and walk out. Unless you can swim a full 'length' in winter clothing the only sensible advice is to use a bouyancy aid that is capable of supporting you. Many types are available, the least awkward to wear use a gas cylinder to inflate bags otherwise hidden in a gilet type vest.

Not falling in is preferable, always have three points of contact when getting off/on the boat as this is the most likely when your going to fall in. In addition don't stand ot sit in the tiller arm swing especially when locking, this is how one boater sadly lost her life when it knocked her in when the rudder got caught on something.

Edited by Robbo

Can be extremely difficult to get out, and better if your not in too long, weils desease is horrid

Any idea how many people in the UK die from that each year? O and before anyone posts I know a life jacket doesn't protect you from it.

one of these

Very few people die of Weils disease. My uncle sadly died of it last year though - it does happen.

It serves as a reminder to avoid going in the water if possible, and to wash hands after boating (eg handling wet ropes) and keep cuts covered.

automatic lifejackets are so comfortable now (deckvest is my favourite), i always wear one when outside on the boat, i'd like to add that maintenance is very important - manually inflate them now and then and make sure the cylinder isn't corroded while the jacket is open (don't set them off, just blow them up orally)

also there are two types of auto inflators, the type shown in earlier posts has a "biscuit" which dissolves in water(so could theoretically go off while stored aboard) and the hammar release which senses the water pressure and is regarded as a lot more reliable.

there's loads of good info on the rnli website http://www.rnli.org.uk/what_we_do/sea_and_beach_safety/sea_safety/adult_lifejackets

hope this helps

paul

edited for grammar error (others may be present)

Edited by ridders

Strange thing was when I fell in the winter coat I was wearing acted as a bouyancy add.

But also became very heavy and caused me problems getting out the sides where very high and with wearing thick wet heavy clothing I could not climb out on my own.

Someone had to get in as well eventually to help me out.

Was pretty scary at the time I can tell you

Yes, getting out is the biggest problem, especially if you a fat fit with shoulder problems like me. I just didn't have the strength to pull myself out. The boat deck and bank wee at shoulder height.

We bought an emergency rope ladder thingy with plastic steps from Midland Chandlers at Crick Boat Show. It looks like it will do the job

We have a pair of auto inflating life jackets and we always wear them on tidal rivers and on the coast. We dont tend to bother on the non tidal river unless the weather is really bad and have never bothered on the canals. That said we are both confident and strong swimmers, but as has already been pointed out you can only swim if conscious.

It is important to service and check auto inflating jackets on a regular basis and ensure that the gas canister is in good condition and in date. We have also bought spray hoods for our jackets which are important if boating in open water. If you do fall in the jacket will turn you against the wind which will mean that you have waves and spray aiming at your face. The spray hoods vastly reduce the amount of water you inhale, they are not very comfortable to wear but they could save your life and you wouldnt be wearing it for long, hopefully. We also have some water activated lights which are stiched into our jackets so should you fall in at night you can be spotted more easily in the water.

We have a pair of auto inflating life jackets and we always wear them on tidal rivers and on the coast. We dont tend to bother on the non tidal river unless the weather is really bad and have never bothered on the canals. That said we are both confident and strong swimmers, but as has already been pointed out you can only swim if conscious.

It is important to service and check auto inflating jackets on a regular basis and ensure that the gas canister is in good condition and in date. We have also bought spray hoods for our jackets which are important if boating in open water. If you do fall in the jacket will turn you against the wind which will mean that you have waves and spray aiming at your face. The spray hoods vastly reduce the amount of water you inhale, they are not very comfortable to wear but they could save your life and you wouldnt be wearing it for long, hopefully. We also have some water activated lights which are stiched into our jackets so should you fall in at night you can be spotted more easily in the water.

You reckless fool you.

Escape: If your boat is the Escape I'm thinking of, then I think you are in Cheshire?

Kings Lock in Middlewich stock several sorts of life jackets including the self-inflating ones, and they also carry the spares for them.

Very few people die of Weils disease. My uncle sadly died of it last year though - it does happen.

It serves as a reminder to avoid going in the water if possible, and to wash hands after boating (eg handling wet ropes) and keep cuts covered.

That's tough, sorry.

My reason for asking was that it is something we often hear about but are not sure how big the problem is.

Please don't just inspect the cylinders in your life jacket but also weigh them as it is possible to get very tiny holes in the membrane at the end that you wont see with the naked eye but will let the gas out over time. The weight should be printed or stamped on the cylinder. You can do it on kitchen scales with no problem.

Even if you can't swim it's useful to bear in mind that human beings are pretty buoyant and you can float around on your back without expending energy.

I do worry a bit about Weils disease when rowing as one frequently gets blisters which can become an open wound - not ideal when you inevitably get your hands wet with river water :unsure:

Sorry to hear that ... didn't Andy Holmes, one time rowing partner of Sir Steve Redgrave also die from Weils last year?