Brunel's Three Bridges

Josher

Featured Posts

Not come across this before, but managed to find a picture:

osterley11.jpg

You would have thought that the road came first, then the canal then the railway - but they seem in the wrong order in the photograph!

I assume it must be unique - is it impressive in the flesh?

Not come across this before, but managed to find a picture:

osterley11.jpg

You would have thought that the road came first, then the canal then the railway - but they seem in the wrong order in the photograph!

I assume it must be unique - is it impressive in the flesh?

Its quite impressive,its the three bridges near Tentelow Lane and the Hanwell locks GU of course.The railway is only single line from Southall to Brentford was freight only,but there maybe a railcar service run on it now,not sure.

Edited by bizzard

there is actually a picture in existance of all 3 means of transport at this location but never seen a picture with the fourth overhead (airplanes coming into heathrow fly over the bridges)

edit: it is a publicity photo for the GUCCCo

just googled this and found a view from the railway which shows it was originally double track.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=3+bridges+southall&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1R2ADFA_enGB452&biw=1093&bih=513&tbm=isch&tbnid=MsLh2N-uT_tCTM:&imgrefurl=http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1183856&docid=dS9IZFKIBUdrhM&imgurl=http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/18/38/1183856_9f8afad2.jpg&w=640&h=480&ei=WNPoTsyjJML98gP4y-SeCg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=242&sig=101290506152785411134&page=21&tbnh=130&tbnw=151&start=213&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:213&tx=96&ty=98

Edited by hamsterfan

Years since seen that bridge structure. It was on a walk from my hostel in Ealing when I was at Uni (except they weren't called that then, they were universities!) in South Kensington around 1970. Wasn't the AEC lorry/engine factory near there?

Adjacent to the works which lay over a huge area between Three Bridges (carrying Windmill Lane) and Iron Bridge, Southall.

MAP The area now the Windmill Centre right back to what is now the Southall Railway Centre and maybe more.

AEC had a good supporting organisation for staff with sports grounds and social facilities. Leyland took over and it all went.

Interesting history of the company, and the AEC society is going strong.

Edited to add:

Some of the site.

'Contribution to History' is well worth a read. Use the forward button at the bottom to avoid unwanted ads.

Edited by Derek R.

No chance of getting an HGV going over the bridge unless someone makes one about 6ft wide!! A transit is about as big as the width restrictors on the road allow. Know the bridge quite well as its the OH's home territory - she used to ride her bike down Hanwell fligt when there were proper boats around carrying goods around the country. Sadly she didn't take any photos of them.

I did see once in an very old Waterways World a B/W photo of a ''British Road Service'' lorry above an working N/B and a steam goods train below that.

Very probably so. Today there is a 6' 6" width limit and a 3t weight restriction, but they are relatively recent. Plenty of width for any BRS vehicle at an earlier date.

Not sure about the branch(?) line gauge when built. Might it not be post 4' 8" standardisation?

The Gauge Commission reoprted in favour of Standard gauge in 1846. This line opened in 1859...

I thought similar, but there appear to be lots of internet sources that still say this branch was built as broad gauge, and converted to standard later.....

Example here

Can't vouch for its truth, but it says.....

Construction of the line and docks began in 1855, initially as doubled broad gauge, with mixed gauge introduced from 1861. Full conversion to double standard gauge took place in 1876.

I did see once in an very old Waterways World a B/W photo of a ''British Road Service'' lorry above an working N/B and a steam goods train below that.

I remember that photo too, I did have a shufti around the net but could find no trace. Was it not a publicity shot for the transport commission?