'New' type of Battery Charger

Chris Pink

Featured Posts

From the advert

"Using the latest technology in transformer design, toroidal transformers don’t use solid iron core, (like traditional transformers) making them lighter and more compact. They deliver more power than a traditional transformer charger of the same size."

Transformers don't use solid cores, they use laminated to reduce eddy current losses. I think what he's saying is that they use a ferrite core which is made by powder metallurgy. Not new - common practice for years. I think he's trying to say that rather than dropping the voltage using a transformer then use a linear regulator to control it they're using a switch mode power supply to do the power conversion. Just like most modern battery chargers.

Michael Faraday used an iron ring for his toroid in 1837...

The reverse pulse was discussed on here by Gibbo a while ago. I've got a ring 8A battery charger that diagnoses the battery before it charges it very like this one does. Not sure what is new about the design.

Where's Gibbo when you need him?

ETA; but seriously, what do the physicists think about the "reverse pulse" reducing impedance?

it seems to have a passing reference to a recent post by snibble about 'backward charging' to resurrect batteries.

Which made we wonder whether this might be different to the oscillator de-sulphating devices.

"new" is often a marketing tool....

nope. I'm not marketing anything.

The reverse pulse was discussed on here by Gibbo a while ago. I've got a ring 8A battery charger that diagnoses the battery before it charges it very like this one does. Not sure what is new about the design.

and.... your opinion?

I do agree that the bit about transformers was a bit off-the-wall but then these things are often written my marketing people based on bad translations.

Where's Gibbo when you need him?

ETA; but seriously, what do the physicists think about the "reverse pulse" reducing impedance?

Wow.......must run out and buy one and put it next to my Eco Fan............. :mellow: OO dont think ive got an eco fan either......

I hope so; I've got a Sterling oscillating de-sulphating device and am firm in the belief it's snake oil!

Is that the add on accessory one that they once marketed? I have heard mixed reports about same.

Make yourown here:

http://mark-lawton.com/battery-charging-desulfator-desulphator/

Can't find Snibbles post re. reverse charging. Was it:

Flatten

Reverse charge

Flatten again

Charge normally?

I intend to try it on my old leisure batteries when I change them as an experiment.

Edited by Guest

Snake oil in, 12 Volts out?

Edd to add. Catweasel. I remember a post along the lines you suggest. It works but only sometimes and, from experience, you only get partial recovery

taslim.

I wonder if they are used from new, rather than remedially?

Well the snake oil's seen three sets of batteries; the fisrt were on their way out; the second were from a reputable second hand source and the third have been on for just short of 12 months; difficult to offer a serious estimate of how these are holding up as the charging patterns have varied a lot as cruising patterns have changed.

Fair to say these aren't in as bad a state as the 2nd hand ones this time last year.