most beautiful canal

max campbell

Featured Posts

The first time I woke up on a boat I looked out of the window over a tree that had protected an island round it's roots near Danes Moss on the Macc.

I really like the Macc and last time I passed that tree was still there...

So... guess!

I enjoyed that cruise Max!

The last section between Greenberfield Locks and Fouldridge tunnel is very familiar, as it's where I do my handovers...I get to travel on it virtually every weekend and I never tire of seeing it.

Having cruised the Leeds Liverpool several times over the last few years, it remains my favourite.

Janet

I enjoyed that cruise Max!

The last section between Greenberfield Locks and Fouldridge tunnel is very familiar, as it's where I do my handovers...I get to travel on it virtually every weekend and I never tire of seeing it.

Having cruised the Leeds Liverpool several times over the last few years, it remains my favourite.

Janet

Ditto - we haven't done anywhere near the whole of the system yet, but of the bits done so far, yes there is something special about the L&L especially between your base and Gargrave/Skipton.

..ed for spelling.

Edited by MJG

L & L from Skipton Westwards, South Oxford canal, and Llangollen would be my favourites to date.

I know it's not a canal but the upper Thames, from Oxford to Lechlade, takes some beating imo!

John

So far...

Stratford esp south, Staffs and Worcs, Llangollen.

Other fun things to do: Anderton Boat Lift, Foxton Locks (all staircases brilliant), all tunnels esp Tardebigge and Harecastle, Avon River and Droitwich Canal.

There's a choice for you!!

Edited by Mary P

Lovely section, but we prefer locks...the more the merrier!

Janet

I don't mind the locks but I do enjoy the straight run without them for a change. Not having to deal with crowds or grumpy people is one bonus. I have been at both Watford and Foxton and watched the lock keepers handle some very difficult boat operators. Makes boating very colourful & varied!

Generally wherever I've found myself for the night. Doubly so if there's a pub in the offing.

[Mind you, I did make sure that a couple of north-west towns beginning with 'B' were seen only in daylight hours].

The Leics section of the Grand Union. No locks from Watford to Foxton. Bliss!

And I hate that bit, It seem to drag on.

If you don't like locks try Braunston to Sutton Stop - North Oxford.

I do like the Macc and the Caldon. Oh and all the Staffs & Worcester.

Alex