How much bio washing stuff to use in a portapotti

debbifiggy

Featured Posts

After reading a number of very interesting toilet related posts on this forum we are taking the plunge and are going to try bio washing up liquid in our cassette toilet instead of blue.

So for all of you who have already made the switch. What is the optimum dosage of washing liquid?

I was thinking of starting with two capfuls (Tesco own brand liquid bio washing stuff) in the base of a standard Thetford 365 portapotti and a capful in the rinse. Will we need to add more washing liquid to the lower tank as we fill it with p's and poos?

Will the switch work out cheaper (as well as being more environmentally friendly) than using Blue? What is the best brand of liquid/washing power to use?

I look forward to reading your contributions and also hopefully to a more fragrant bathroom, especially in the summer.

D

After reading a number of very interesting toilet related posts on this forum we are taking the plunge and are going to try bio washing up liquid in our cassette toilet instead of blue.

So for all of you who have already made the switch. What is the optimum dosage of washing liquid?

I was thinking of starting with two capfuls (Tesco own brand liquid bio washing stuff) in the base of a standard Thetford 365 portapotti and a capful in the rinse. Will we need to add more washing liquid to the lower tank as we fill it with p's and poos?

Will the switch work out cheaper (as well as being more environmentally friendly) than using Blue? What is the best brand of liquid/washing power to use?

I look forward to reading your contributions and also hopefully to a more fragrant bathroom, especially in the summer.

D

We having been using the cheap tesco liquid in the cassete loo for 3 weeks and it works rather well.

have been putting several capfuls in the flush tank,the more times the loo is used the stronger the mix becomes?

the contents are easier to tip out,and the loo is virtually odourless.

the liqid does seperate out from water,have stood some in a container,but with a 365 it is easy to give it a shake every day or so.

the powder in the base and liquid in the rinse tank may be the best method?will try it next time.

Yeast makes sense but does it smell nice?

I have started using bio washing powder in my rinse tank but still on blue in the bottom tank at the mo... Though when I run out of blue I will probably try washing powder in the bottom tank too.

With good sized bags of bio washing powder at a couple of quid from supermarkets 'value' ranges, I think it must surely work out cheaper too.

Thats the question I'm interested in

I've got a 180 litre holding tank so how much would I need to put in after a pump out - Its due for its first ever pump out soon

ETA I'm responding to Nightwatch's poat not Starry's (posted at same time)

Edited by Bazza2

Yeast makes sense but does it smell nice?

I have started using bio washing powder in my rinse tank but still on blue in the bottom tank at the mo... Though when I run out of blue I will probably try washing powder in the bottom tank too.

With good sized bags of bio washing powder at a couple of quid from supermarkets 'value' ranges, I think it must surely work out cheaper too.

Not sure regards the effect of mixing BLUE and BIO together?

i would guess that the BLUE would negate any effect that the BIO have in the loo?

any chemists on the forum that would know? <_<

Ah. I did wonder about the blue negating it in the tank, but in terms of having it in the rinse, it does make... erm... Ok, there's no way to say this and maintain the illusion that girls piss rosewater and shit rainbows, so I'll just come right out with it- washing powder in the rinse tank makes 'stuff' that may occasionaly stick to the bowl, slide down into the tank a lot better.

We having been using the cheap tesco liquid in the cassete loo for 3 weeks and it works rather well.

have been putting several capfuls in the flush tank,the more times the loo is used the stronger the mix becomes?

the contents are easier to tip out,and the loo is virtually odourless.

the liqid does seperate out from water,have stood some in a container,but with a 365 it is easy to give it a shake every day or so.

the powder in the base and liquid in the rinse tank may be the best method?will try it next time.

Well, I've changed the cassette, one I rinsed out extremely well and also cleaned the top. The washing (clothes washing) bio liquid is in the bottom and also the rinse. It already smells much nicer than blue. I will let you know how we get on.

D

Well, I've changed the cassette, one I rinsed out extremely well and also cleaned the top. The washing (clothes washing) bio liquid is in the bottom and also the rinse. It already smells much nicer than blue. I will let you know how we get on.

D

May I ask what quantity you added to each compartment?

Cheers

May I ask what quantity you added to each compartment?

Cheers

2 caps to the base and one cap to the rinse. We'll see how the smell control goes as it gets filled.

I wonder if the bio washing liquid is any better for the seals than blue? We tend to find over time that the seal on the base eventually starts to leak at bit resulting in an unpleasent surprise when you go to empty. I've not attempted to replace a seal yet. I guess it will be me doing the replacing as the man only likes mucky jobs involving grease, oil, tile adhesive and grout (not all at once I hasten to add).

How easy is it to replace a seal? Also, I vaguely remember someone on here saying something about a quick slick of vegetable oil when changing the cassette to keep everything working smoothly.

D

edited to put a question mark in the correct place.

Edited by debbifiggy

D

I have visions of you sitting on the loo with foam and bubbles up to you waist from putting to much washing up liquid in the tank.

Pass! I dunno in what way pump out is different in terms of chemicals. What do you usually put in it?

Nothing

2 caps to the base and one cap to the rinse. We'll see how the smell control goes as it gets filled.

I wonder if the bio washing liquid is any better for the seals than blue? We tend to find over time that the seal on the base eventually starts to leak at bit resulting in an unpleasent surprise when you go to empty. I've not attempted to replace a seal yet. I guess it will be me doing the replacing as the man only likes mucky jobs involving grease, oil, tile adhesive and grout (not all at once I hasten to add).

How easy is it to replace a seal? Also, I vaguely remember someone on here saying something about a quick slick of vegetable oil when changing the cassette to keep everything working smoothly.

D

I thought the "man" was a plumber :huh:

I use two capfulls of bio-liquid to the base tank of our PP365. Got a full tank on the boat at the moment (awaiting emptying!), it's been full for a couple of weeks (we do not live on) and it still does not smell.

Never thought of adding some to the top tank but I think I will give it a try.

I cannot see the point of using bio and blue, the bio is to replace the blue which is a nasty chemical the fumes of which you do not want to breath in!

I think the bio will be quite good for the seals as it is quite 'slippery' but time will tell.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Ah. I did wonder about the blue negating it in the tank, but in terms of having it in the rinse, it does make... erm... Ok, there's no way to say this and maintain the illusion that girls piss rosewater and shit rainbows, so I'll just come right out with it- washing powder in the rinse tank makes 'stuff' that may occasionaly stick to the bowl, slide down into the tank a lot better.

What you are trying to achieve by giving up formaldehyde, is the natural decomposition of the ordure. Biomagic encourages this by supplying more oxygen. I am not sure what the effect of the bio washing oowder is, but if the idea is to encourage bacteria then the presence of blue is not a good thing. You need to get rid of it by rising out the tank very well.

Nick

D

Thank you :cheers:

Have been away for a week so only just catching up with porta potty stuff. We are thinking of trying the bio wash liquid route in our Thetford cassette.

We have been using Brewer's Yeast tablets for the last 12 years. Two tablets per recharge.

Have been away for a week so only just catching up with porta potty stuff. We are thinking of trying the bio wash liquid route in our Thetford cassette.

We have been using Brewer's Yeast tablets for the last 12 years. Two tablets per recharge.

May I ask why you are thinking of changing from yeast? Reason I ask is I have heard good things about using yeast and had thought of trying it.