replating and overplating costs

coldor

Featured Posts

We want to buy a narrowboat for continuous cruising and we've been looking at various sites with boats for sale. If a survey shows the need for work on the plating to be carried out, how much are we likely to have to pay for this, minimum to maximum? Thanks for any info on the topic.

coldor

We want to buy a narrowboat for continuous cruising and we've been looking at various sites with boats for sale. If a survey shows the need for work on the plating to be carried out, how much are we likely to have to pay for this, minimum to maximum? Thanks for any info on the topic.

coldor

There really can't be even much of a guideline given for this, as what is needed can vary enormously.

Can be anything from patching, through "shoeing" (just on the edges between base and sides), or, if a more comprehensive overplate is required, sides to above waterline, whole bottom, or even both.

Also (obviously) it depends on boat length - treating the whole of a 70 footer may cost twice as much as (say) a 30 footer.

One regularly sees amounts bandied around anywhere between £2K and £10K, and it is obvious from many comments on here, if you know a tame welder in areas where there is competition to get work, it may cost far less than somewhere where there are very few facilities, and people start to give big costs.

More info needed, but you will still find that even if you put up pictures of a particular boat, someone may say £5K, whereas someone else will say I got one like that done by a mate for only £2K!

It also depends what you are trying to achieve. What is necessary to ensure it will not sink for a few years may be far less extensive work than some insurers might insist on before they would give you full comprehensive cover on the boat and its contents.

Hi coldor

welcome to the forum.

I think Alan has more or less covered it

I would add that it would probably be much cheaper to find a boat that does not need plating, unless the boat is the only one you ever wanted and the owner is willing to give it to you.;)

Do not forget if re-plating the interior will be affected as well, most of it around the weld points will have to be removed.

My neighbour at Shire Cruisers, Sowerby Bridge, has just had her 28ft narrowboat completely re-bottomed by the boatyard. I believe they charged her £1600, including craning out & in. And yes, they took circles out of the floor at intervals to tack along the middle. But they don't normally do complete re-bottoming - I think it was because she's the Oldest Inhabitant.

<snip>

Do not forget if re-plating the interior will be affected as well, most of it around the weld points will have to be removed.

That would be quite unusual. Tawny Owl gained a plate towards the front when we bought her, and has since had four shoes. No lining was ever removed for these jobs

Richard

That would be quite unusual. Tawny Owl gained a plate towards the front when we bought her, and has since had four shoes. No lining was ever removed for these jobs

Interesting one that.

The only hull welding done on Chalice under our ownership related to putting a new external skin tank on one of the swims.

I have reasonable confidence in the welder, but when I later stripped out part of the bedroom and cupboard on the inside of that bit of swim, I was rather surprised to find wood that was charred enough that it had obviously been at least briefly smouldering, if not totally on fire, (and it smelt like embers pulled from a bonfire).

I'm totally confident this related to the welding on the outside. The red oxide paint on the inside has two clear burn lines on it, that exactly co-incide with the skin tank, (I was pleased to see this, as it says to me he welded it on both sides), and the exact location of the burnt wood was on top of this.

On that basis, I'm not sure you would do a total over-plate of the sides of our particular boat without risking fire damage.

I agree people often don't bother, though!

coldor

What budget do yo have in mind for your boat?

If its any help we had a quote for a new bottom on a 39 footer for 3k but because of the extent of internal refit needed and the cost of the boat left it.

A friend of ours bought a 40 footer that had pits in the side near the bow down to 1mm and some 3mm so the surveyor suggested some patch plates.

As it was half under water and half above they had the plates done and any suspect pitting was filled with weld.

The boat was a 10k boat with a grp top that leaked which was sorted out and the patch plates and pitting was done in with the price.

Since then they have had a new steel cabin fitted.

Looking back my thoughts are wait a little longer and try to avoid boats that need such work and save some more money.

Alan's first post is spot on.

We moved a 30ft springer that had sunk on the Peak Forest Canal. When I talked to the engineer at the boatyard we reckoned it would cost around £3,000 to over plate.

Springers do have a V shaped hull that makes over plating more difficult and therefore expensive, might be something to think about.

You would be better buying a boat that doesn't need or has already been plated but it all depends on budget.

I note from some of the Facebook groups that there are brokers out there that slap a coat of blacking and some new anodes on their cheapest boats (i.e. most knackered hulls) and sell them on hardstanding.

My advice is don't be fooled. Save your money. I can sell you one of my kitchen sieves for four grand if you like. Same difference.