Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Ordered a skip for next week where i will be dumping all the stuff i am not bringing with me and the rest is getting picked up by a charity shop.

I will be out of this place by the end of August, on my boat in time for my birthday.

That is properly exciting ....I can't wait...good luck with it

A brief introduction:

My name is Allan and I am from Basingstoke in Hampshire. I am approaching the dreaded retirement age much faster than I imagined (0nly 5 years to go) and am seriously thinking of what I shall do when my time comes. I have always been a countryside and wildlife lover and have spent most of my leisure time fishing on the Kennet, Thames and local lakes. I have always joked that one day I would leave the rat race behind and join the water rat race where life is much more peaceful and less stressed. I can think of nothing better than spending my days on the water.

So that being said, I have been lurking here for a while and gathering useful knowledge that hopefully will be helpful when I finally make my move. I can really see myself living on a 50ft narrowboat and cruising the cut with the dogs by day, and dangling a line at night.

Its what my dreams are made of.

I may as well confess although you may have worked it out by now. I really, really need to have a boat. I need it more than i need a hug by Brian Blessed.

Ordered a skip for next week where i will be dumping all the stuff i am not bringing with me and the rest is getting picked up by a charity shop.

I will be out of this place by the end of August, on my boat in time for my birthday.

NEVER buy a boat when subject to time constraints - it is a decision to be mulled over and much to be taken into consideration. You say you will be using a surveyor - good surveyors are busy and it may well be that the one you choose has a month or so 'lead time'.

Buy in haste - repent at leisure.

Find a house / flat / caravan or whatever to rent whilst you are boat hunting.

You know it makes sense.

Hello All,

we're Elke and Mark and we just bought our first , 2nd hand, 40ft narrow boat (a Fairline 40 Flybridge). We're new to all this and we're just in the process of getting our bearing . Thing is we'll need to learn fast since we aim to go live on her along with our 12 yo son ,Tom.

Plans are to redecorate/renovate the boat and move onto her come November. All tips and guidelines will be greatly appreciated.

rolleyes.gif

Elke,Tom and Mark

Hello All,

we're Elke and Mark and we just bought our first , 2nd hand, 40ft narrow boat (a Fairline 40 Flybridge). We're new to all this and we're just in the process of getting our bearing . Thing is we'll need to learn fast since we aim to go live on her along with our 12 yo son ,Tom.

Plans are to redecorate/renovate the boat and move onto her come November. All tips and guidelines will be greatly appreciated.

rolleyes.gif

Elke,Tom and Mark

Sounds dreamy. Do you have pictures to make me even more jealous than i already am blush.png

Hello, just back to reading on here after a busy month when all things boaty went out of the window!

Jennyanydots isn't the name of my boat- unfortunately I don't have one yet, but hope to in a couple of years' time. I hope I haven't offended anyone using that as my username? Sorry if so.

I'm not rushing into getting my boat. Not enough pennies yet! And lots of research to do. Just found out about Crick boat show ( and that I've missed it for 2016) Like I said, I'm a newbie with lots of research to do :)

Hello all ... we are Sara and John and are newbies to this forum. I have had previous experience with narrowboats as my parents had a couple them when I was in my late teens/early twenties. However, I'm now in my early 60's, retired and returning with the proposed purchase of a share in a nice 55-60 footer ... still looking at the moment but have seen a couple of "possibles". We certainly hope to be afloat by the autumn, but have no intention of moving out of the bricks and mortar in favour of on-board living!! So, here's hoping that this is a case of "just like riding a bike" ... once learned, never forgotten. I was very confident handling my dad's old boat so hope that it all comes back to me.

As a start point, once we're in possession of our boat, we'll book a few lessons - there's a very good guy quite close to us who does this - and we'll be off and on our way (I hope).

Any hints and tips on owning a share of a boat would be much appreciated. Meanwhile ... I'll keep looking through here for information and advice.

Hope to see you out and about ..... biggrin.png

G'day all.

I've been lurking on the forum for a while and thought it was time to get involved.

On our last 2 holidays to England we've hired a narrow boat and feel it was the best part of the trip.

The first time we sailed down the Lee river, along the Thames to Brentford then along the Regent canal and back to Broxbourne to return the boat.

Last trip we picked the boat up at Leighton Buzzard and cruised up to Blissworth and back.

Well we're hooked.

Our plan now is to visit England next April and buy a narrow boat. We'll spend 6 months of the year (our winter) cruising the waterways of the UK and 6 months at home working.

Thanks to the forum I'm a bit wiser on how it all works, (not as straight forward as i'd thought.) but I recon it's doable.

Advice from anyone who has done something similar would be much appreciated. (Or just advice for noobs.)

Ken and Linda.

Edited by Hawken

Welcome Ken & Linda.

I know of a Dutch couple who do something similar. The main problem is getting someone you can trust (a boatyard or marina to check that batteries are charging, etc) to look after your boat whilst you are away. It is doable.

Hope all goes well for you.

Hi All.

Total newbie here....although I've been walking canal tow paths throughout the UK, France and North America for years....a wishing and a dreaming.

About to now take the plunge by renting a 61ft NB as a continuous cruiser.

Very nervous, tbh.

I'll be on my own and don't drive a car - zero experience reverse parking!

Everyone (who has never lived aboard but has been on boating holidays) has suggested I'll find everything hard, notably moving the boat every 2 weeks, keeping warm going into the winter, finding wood/coal etc.

Reaching out for some reassurance and cheery words before I make a decision this weekend.

Hi All.

Total newbie here....although I've been walking canal tow paths throughout the UK, France and North America for years....a wishing and a dreaming.

About to now take the plunge by renting a 61ft NB as a continuous cruiser.

Very nervous, tbh.

I'll be on my own and don't drive a car - zero experience reverse parking!

Everyone (who has never lived aboard but has been on boating holidays) has suggested I'll find everything hard, notably moving the boat every 2 weeks, keeping warm going into the winter, finding wood/coal etc.

Reaching out for some reassurance and cheery words before I make a decision this weekend.

Hi

You'll be fine, in fact you will be excellent.

It's just 'multi-tasking' on water and you have been doing that on land for decades.

Did the hire company take you through the training for the boat and locks?

(These everyone's are never right ;) )

Hey MissMax.

Thanks for the post!

Actually, it's a NB to rent in London - a live aboard.

The owner sounds great and super supportive - offering on hand help and guidance and a lot of reassurance that the community is very supportive in London (despite the influx of people like me who are putting an increasing strain on resources).

I'm pretty practical - years of bike touring/solo traveling etc. - so I'm sure I'll work things out and be able to reach out and ask for help.

The idea of renting is reassuring.

There's a safety net in the owner.

• Greenie 1

Even better if the boat has a single owner as they would want to look after there investment

and living in London although i hear it is crowded the boaters do seem very open and welcoming and as a solo cyclist you

know about 'Getting Things Done' in the most practical way.

You have nothing to worry about.

I am rather jealous of you as you now have a boat. I am sure many other members here will give you what ever guidance you wish for

(they have a lot of smart members here :) )

I wish you a fantastic new experience :)

Alex Cat, I wish you every success but it does ring alarm bells that you plan to rent a boat to be a continuous cruiser, especially as you give your location as London. Are you aware of (1) the legal difficulties surrounding renting a boat, and (2) the difficulty of finding a place to moor in central London? If not, please enter the appropriate terms into the search box and read some of the topics on these subjects.

Alex Cat, I wish you every success but it does ring alarm bells that you plan to rent a boat to be a continuous cruiser, especially as you give your location as London. Are you aware of (1) the legal difficulties surrounding renting a boat, and (2) the difficulty of finding a place to moor in central London? If not, please enter the appropriate terms into the search box and read some of the topics on these subjects.

Also here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/a-boat-of-your-own/renting-a-boat-to-live-on-or-hiring-out-your-own-boat

As far as I understand it, if one is to rent a boat, one needs to do so with a residential mooring as part of the contract?

Now, I'm not wanting to ask fro advice on anything illegal but again, AFAIK, there are numerous folks renting boats on a CC basis.

Is this a totally sketchy thing to do?

Are these folks ducking and diving?