Alde bubble tester

ChrisPy

Featured Posts

I am fitting a bubble tester in my new project boat which has a very simple gas system, requiring only 5/16" or 8mm pipe.

The Alde tester purchased for 8mm appears to be a standard 10mm unit, using an adaptor to reduce to 8mm. The instructions are dreadful. It appears that a brass insert (supplied) is used to fit onto the 8mm copper pipe, replacing a copper olive in the compression fitting. Am I doing it right? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Initial set up shows a gas leak, but I am reticent to tighten the fittings too much until I know I'm doing it right.

I have sent a message to Alde Technical Help, but I'm not holding my breath for a meaningful response. After all if they can't write decent instructions, what hope is there of getting an adequate explanation?

I changed the fittings in my Alde bubble tester to accommodate 1/2" pipe. I didn't use adaptors - I just put the bubble tester in a vice and cracked the fittings off and replaced them.

Don't they sell a bubble tester with 8mm fittings? I'm sure they do?

Edit: Yes they do (not that it helps you now!)

http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=53

Edited by blackrose

Chris, by 'brass insert' do you mean the hose tails that are supplied with it? As Blackrose says, you can fit whatever adaptor you need to suit your pipework and then it's a straightforward compression fitting onto your pipe.

Tony

IIRC the actual unit has 3/8 bsp female threads, like blackrose I changed the fittings in mine - one to 1/2"

compression, and one to 1/2" bsp female (straight onto bulkhead fitting) howevever the original fittings

were bl**dy tight, on examination after dismantling I am fairly certain that a "setting" thread sealant had

been used (as opposed to a "non setting" sealant such as calor-tite).

springy

I changed the fittings in my Alde bubble tester to accommodate 1/2" pipe. I didn't use adaptors - I just put the bubble tester in a vice and cracked the fittings off and replaced them.

Don't they sell a bubble tester with 8mm fittings? I'm sure they do?

Edit: Yes they do (not that it helps you now!)

http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=53

I bought the 8mm one, it seems to be the same unit, but has brass adaptors to reduce from 10 to 8.

howevever the original fittings were bl**dy tight, on examination after dismantling I am fairly certain that a "setting" thread sealant had

been used (as opposed to a "non setting" sealant such as calor-tite).

That's right - mine looked the same. I refitted 1/2" compression fittings with gas PTFE.

Chris, by 'brass insert' do you mean the hose tails that are supplied with it? As Blackrose says, you can fit whatever adaptor you need to suit your pipework and then it's a straightforward compression fitting onto your pipe.

Tony

no. it's a short nipple that externally matches 10mm pipe, has a nib that mates with the compression nut, and internally accommodates 8mm pipe. the only way to fit it is without a copper olive, which is why I believe it is supposed to replace the olive.

Edited by ChrisPy

... the original fittings were bl**dy tight...

Mine too. I was wondering for a short while if they actually undid at all.

Tony

no. it's a short nipple that externally matches 10mm pipe, has a nib that mates with the compression nut, and internally accommodates 8mm pipe. the only way to fit it is without a copper olive, which is why I believe it is supposed to replace the olive.

Perhaps we need a picture.

Tony

One like this? Different size, but illustrates the principle.

David

I am fitting a bubble tester in my new project boat which has a very simple gas system, requiring only 5/16" or 8mm pipe.

The Alde tester purchased for 8mm appears to be a standard 10mm unit, using an adaptor to reduce to 8mm. The instructions are dreadful. It appears that a brass insert (supplied) is used to fit onto the 8mm copper pipe, replacing a copper olive in the compression fitting. Am I doing it right? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Sounds like you have a compression fitting 'reducing set', try a google images search, but is it in 2 halves or 1 piece? If the the former it needs an olive - copper ideally, if the latter it probably needs a fair bit of tightening.

In both cases you could undo the joint to see if it's compressed onto the pipe (or not!).

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete