Battery confusion

Kantara

Featured Posts

Thanks for all of that, but how does this work out on the cut? Surely, the batteries will regularly get depleted every time the engine is off. Yes but never below 50% or their useful life will reduce.

What's the point of an inverter if one can't use the batteries without the engine running anyway? You can use the inverter without the engine running but the batteries will be 'used'

Why not then just use a 240v alternator for all domestic electrical needs? Because when out on the cut you are not allowed to run your engine or generator between the hours of 20:00Hrs and 08:00 Hrs the next morning.

Is cruising condemning us to damaging our batteries, or are we advised to run the engine all evening as well? The only way not to 'damage' your batteries is to not use them and always have them charged to 100% SOC (State Of Charge)

It is a compromise.

I never let mine go below 50% SOC (Smartgauge) but very rarely get them to 100% SOC because the last 5% takes a long, long time.

My batteries (sealed lead acid) have lasted 2 years and 3 months but are now beginning to fail.

Edited by bottle

I've treated my cheap lead acid batteries like cr*p for four and a half years with a dodgey diode and three burnt out alternators in that time. I topped them up with water only if their performance dropped, run them frequently down to below 12v and generally utterly abused them. Only in the last 6 months have they become poo enough that I feel I have to replace them. 4 years ain't bad.

I advise you just use your batteries and enjoy your boat. Don't be as lazy as me but don't panic if you work them a bit hard sometimes. They're supposed to be consumable.

To go off on a slight tangent for a moment.

Does anyone know where I can buy an 'automatic cutoff' battery top up bottle?

Years ago I had one that I think was made by Tudor. Very simple in design you simply inverted it, stuck the spout into the individual cells, it went "glug glug" and stopped when the liquid was about 1/4 " above the plates.

My present batteries, which are budget AGMs are coming to the end of their useful life and I'm minded to replace them with wet cell ones. Topping them up would be difficult as they're tucked away under the side deck.

I've looked on E Bay but I can't find one.

Many thanks

Frank

Years ago I had one that I think was made by Tudor. Very simple in design you simply inverted it, stuck the spout into the individual cells, it went "glug glug" and stopped when the liquid was about 1/4 " above the plates.

My present batteries, which are budget AGMs are coming to the end of their useful life and I'm minded to replace them with wet cell ones. Topping them up would be difficult as they're tucked away under the side deck.

Many thanks

Frank

Well, I d advise keeping on watching eBay as I found various people offering old Lucas bottles of the type you describe.

However, like you, my batteries are tucked away under the side deck. And

I found there isn't really enough "headroom" to use said bottles!!!

Bob.

Edited to change a small "i" to a capital one.

Edited by Canalfreak

Is there such a thing as a rebuildable battery that you can dismantle for maintenance every so often? :unsure:

Yes - sort of.

Any with pitch sealing the cell lids in place can be stripped and re-plated if you have the skill, equipment and can still get new plates - showing my age here.

The very expensive 2v cells are often built into a case so those can have individual cells taken out and replaced.

I think some of the less well known battery types like KNIF batteries are constructed in the same way as I believe are some aircraft batteries but these all use different technologies.

I think some of the less well known battery types like KNIF batteries are constructed in the same way as I believe are some aircraft batteries but these all use different technologies.

Are they the same as Ni-Fe batteries ( Nickel - iron ?) Some friends had those when I were a lud for their house generator - not very sure why as it seemed big overkill

Nick

Are they the same as Ni-Fe batteries ( Nickel - iron ?) Some friends had those when I were a lud for their house generator - not very sure why as it seemed big overkill

Nick

I think they are the same but perhaps the electrolyte is different - whatever the electrolyte is it is not sulphuric acid.

From what I understand they are a very much longer lasting battery than any form of lead acid battery but the charging regime is rather different. I also understand if subjected to excess currents they can produce "interesting" results.

Many thanks

Frank

The plastic ones (as suggested by Ark Right) work just fine. They're also available from other places such as Midland Chandlers (here).

With both the plastic and the glass types, don't be too enthusiastic with them because they always deliver a small amount of water, even if the battery doesn't need any, especially if they (the filler, not the battery) are less than half full. So if you keep trying there is a risk that you will over-fill the battery.

I've got an old glass Lucas one, PM me if you would be interested in it.