ice in boat...

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

Hi Mike

On a boating holiday a couple of years ago, I met a lady in her eighties single-handing. She had sold up everything to live aboard, in her seventies! A real inspiration. I do have a couple of books (I have 'Going it Alone') and I've read the advice on this forum too. The photos are just breath-taking.

Off to visit Mary-Jo now, to move her to her mooring spot! Everyone at Mercia has been really friendly and helpful.

2008 Leicester Line

3268904683_8c2bc35b2f.jpg

2009 Berkhamsted

4214932971_d54ed789b8.jpg

4266465076_f07b644356.jpg

2010 Paddington Basin

5271446986_9f559879bf.jpg

It seems to follow me around!!

My houdini hatch in the bedroom used to drip a bit and ice on the inside, it never gets toasty hot like the main cabin. I solved by geting a roll of silvered insulation foam and cutting to shape, two layers on th eoutside, and two inside. It keeps the cabin slightly cooler in summer, and stops condensation/ice in winter and keeps room nice and dark.

never had a problem elsewhere in the boat, except for when it rained heavily - turned to snow and then sky's cleared overnight, I couldn't get the cratchopen as it was like a steel board, and had to go out via the back end.!!

Edited by matty40s

Everyone at Mercia has been really friendly and helpful.

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating. Landlubbers don't know what they're missing!

It was the friendliness and camaraderie that attracted us to the canals in the first instance.

In return, we try to help others who may need it. After all, isn't that what we were put on earth for in the first place? What a contrast to the way modern life is becoming back on the bank.....

Get your wooly socks on and prepare for long nights in front of your stove, you can't beat it :P

Mike

had to go out via the back end.!!

No worries, that's how I came into this world anyway! :lol:

Hi Phil,

That's not a bad idea, only if ever I'm given access to our galley (can't cook, won't cook), I need to open the houdini hatch to avert the bloody smoke alarm going off. I use that as a form of timer, when its siren begins to sound I know my toast is ready (and burnt to a sinder) :angry:

Jamie Orrible

I know that rule, " When it's black, it's done"

This will be our first 'full time' winter on board. Last year we had 3 oil filled rads throughout the boat on 24/7 and had no problem. Now that we are living on our boat it will be occupied and I expect the log burner and the fitted rads will keep the boat in good working order. We always have 4 portholes along with the airvents open so have good circulation. I made porthole bungs which have sponge inside and find they soak up any condensation well :rolleyes:

Do u run the rads off the electric/batteries?? Would they use much power? I would be worried running batteries down?

Do u run the rads off the electric/batteries?? Would they use much power? I would be worried running batteries down?

I have 4 rads off the eberspacher, a squirrel and an epping I use when cruising. I have never needed to run the central heating system to stay warm, I only use it to get hot water for 20 minutes a day, even in midwinter with temps down below -10 for days on end.

You will find that a well managed stove is far better, and allows you to dress down in the evenings, and should still be in when the mornings arrive.

No way can you run oil filled rads off a normal size battery bank through an inverter. Say each rad is 800 watts, 3x800=2400w. That's going to be about 250 amps at 12 v. So with a 700 ah 12 v battery bank, discharged to no less than 50% capacity and allowing for Professor Peukert, then you will be lucky to get 45 mins use. Don't even think about it.

Prepare for take-off....

2hs2gli.jpg

This is a favourite photo of ours from last year.

Notice how I captured two Swan's necks with one shot....I'm wasted on here :rolleyes:

Mike

That is stunning, do you have a higher res version I could steal?

Thanks,

Morat

That is stunning, do you have a higher res version I could steal?

Thanks,

Morat

Hi Morat,

Probably, but it all depends on what you wish to do with it. I'm entering that one into a competition soon and I wouldn't wish to see it pop up elsewhere.

Mike

Prepare for take-off....

2hs2gli.jpg

This is a favourite photo of ours from last year.

Notice how I captured two Swan's necks with one shot....I'm wasted on here :rolleyes:

Mike

Too be fair, you managed three swans necks.

We are trying to work on some very simple and cheap magnetic double glazing to help keep the ice off the windows.

We are looking for live on board voulenteers to test them on. (In the local West Midlands)

See this thread for more details.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=42781&st=0&p=783761entry783761

Edited by Kinver Canopies

Freezing pipes and pumps are always concerns for boaters, and obviously you should take as many precautions as you can to stop this happening! Or be prepared to pay the cost which could be considerable depending on which appliances are affected, it is difficult to remove all water from the plumbing system but it's well worth every effort, which you'll well appreciate if your unlucky enough to flood your boat through neglect! Leave all taps open to let any residual water expand and remember if you use the boat for the odd weekend you've got it all to do again

If you are draining pipes for winter, and you have a non return valve between water supply and toilet flush valve, (prevents backflow should the toilet fill up) 'icing up' there could easily burst pipes or as in my case force hose off pipe spigot. Water pump seemed to be running just a bit too long before I noticed water flowing out from under toilet door!