ice in boat...

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

Am i to assume as a none liveaboard i can expect to have ice inside boat over winter?

Ian

Where are you expecting it to be ?

Certainly if you take no precautions, parts of your water supply, pipes, taps, etc may freeze, and possibly suffer damage.

If you leave water in the bottom of a sink, a shower, or a kettle, it may freeze to. Even bottled water left in a cupboard.

Where else would you expect to have water inside your boat normally ? You can usually only get ice in places that you might normally have water!

Am i to assume as a none liveaboard i can expect to have ice inside boat over winter?

Ian

If you're going to leave your boat unattended over winter - then it would be most prudent to remove all water in the plumbing / heating systems, and ensure the engine has the correct % of anti-freeze in its coolant.

If you have shore power available, then you may like to investigate the use of one or two small oil-filled radiators, and/or employing a few large bags of desiccant to remove excessive moisture from within the boat .

If there's no water within the boat - it can't become ice

Its the condensation freezing i was wondering about.I will be useing her over winter on the odd sunny weekends.Have taken sensible steps regarding the water supply etc.I do have shore power available but not keen on leaving plugged in with heaters on as it seems a gross waste of resources,plus concerns of galvanic problems....If i turn up to boat and light stove to warm boat over the weekend then shut her up for a week or two am i to expect pools of condensation and lumps of ice when i return?

Ian

Any vapour in the air will condense and freeze on windows and roofs. The water heater is most vulnerable to frost damage. When you use the boat over winter open all the doors just before leaving to allow any warm wet air to escape. Take extra bedding and winter boating or walking is very pleasant.

I'm near Gloucester so quite far south but still had ice on the inside the windows on several occations despite having the stove lit most days. If you have thick curtains that helps stop it at the windows. We never found damp on the bed or anywhere the condensdation might have defrosted onto although i'm guessing the curtains would have soaked up some of that as they have the brass bar pushing them against the wood.

Its the condensation freezing i was wondering about.I will be useing her over winter on the odd sunny weekends.Have taken sensible steps regarding the water supply etc.I do have shore power available but not keen on leaving plugged in with heaters on as it seems a gross waste of resources,plus concerns of galvanic problems....If i turn up to boat and light stove to warm boat over the weekend then shut her up for a week or two am i to expect pools of condensation and lumps of ice when i return?

Ian

The act of warming the interior of the boat will cause condensation to form. The warm air inside the boat will be in contact with the cold surfaces of windows etc and that is where condensation forms. The science is that warm air has the ability hold a certain amount of water vapour. Cold air can hold less so when the warm air gets cooled the water vapour forms as condensation. So either remove water vapour from the air with dehumidifying apparatus or stop warm air coming into contact with cold surfaces.

Simples

Edited by jelunga

Ian

From my experience living in my truck provided you have taken 'the usual' precautions with your water system ice is not a prob.

Condensation in/on mattresses & pillows is a problem though. Make sure air can freely circulate to the underside of the bed.

Put another log on the stove & enjoy the winter.

taslim.

Ian

Freezing pipes and pumps are always concerns for boaters, and obviously you should take as many precautions as you can to stop this happening! Or be prepared to pay the cost which could be considerable depending on which appliances are affected, it is difficult to remove all water from the plumbing system but it’s well worth every effort, which you’ll well appreciate if your unlucky enough to flood your boat through neglect! Leave all taps open to let any residual water expand and remember if you use the boat for the odd weekend you’ve got it all to do again

If there is no water in your boat then you will have no ice. You say you are concerned about the condensation freezing, so if you eliminate the condensation you will have no need for concern. We dont liveaboard but we do use our boat at least three days a week even during the coldest that the winter throws at us. We dont suffer with condensation because we ensure that we have a decent amount of airflow through the boat. We leave the windows open and the hatches on ventilaion mode even during the worst of the freeze, it doesnt affect the temperature inside the boat as the thermostat keeps the rooms to temperature.

The slight issue we had last winter was our plumbing freezing. Our pipes run very close to the hull so are prone to freezing whilst we are at work during the week. 24 hours with the heating on thaws everything out again but it is annoying at times especially when you want coffee on a saturday morning and the water is still solid :angry:

This will be our first 'full time' winter on board. Last year we had 3 oil filled rads throughout the boat on 24/7 and had no problem. Now that we are living on our boat it will be occupied and I expect the log burner and the fitted rads will keep the boat in good working order. We always have 4 portholes along with the airvents open so have good circulation. I made porthole bungs which have sponge inside and find they soak up any condensation well :rolleyes:

Like the OP we often use the boat at weekends in the winter & have had Christmas & New Year on there in the past.

When the boat is unused on the mooring we have found the answer to be to leave several windows / portholes opened for adequate ventilation. We have neverhad a problem with mould or damp on the bedding or furniture when the boat is unoccupied. When we go there of course there is condensation from breathing, cooking etc, again, ventilation helps to keep it to a minimum. It soon clears when back on the mooring with the windows open.

Steve

We managed to get aboard virtually every weekend last winter - right through the 'big freeze' when the outside temperature dropped to -17C on a few nights.

Always closed valve between water tank and pump, turned off pump, and opened the taps to drain/reduce pressure. Water pipes all lagged. However, made the mistake of not fully draining the water heater (Morco)one weekend when we were closing up, and were greeted next weekend by a geyser of water from a small, split pipe when we turned on the water pump (thank goodness we always closed the valve/turned pump off when we left the boat!). Turned out it was cheaper to buy and fit a whole new heater than try to fix it.

re: Condensation/Insulation...we covered our windows with bubble wrap! Can't say if it worked or not, but in theory ought to have made some difference I would have thought. Let the light in during daylight hours, and kept a bit more of the heat in. Certainly very cosy and warm once the stove had got going. Could always take the bubble wrap off if we wanted/needed to see out. Condensation a bit of a problem but certainly not as bad as previous year when we didn't use the bubble wrap.

Thought I'd add these - taken from the boat - as a reminder of how wonderful and occasionally funny it was. (Not so funny, I hasten to add, for those who were stranded/damaged by it).

The ducks were scattered randomly until I appeared at the stern. Then, like a military formation, they all turned towards me and started to advance!

031220101062-1.jpg

CopyofSwanley-10C20Dec10.jpg

I've just bought a boat and will be spending quite a bit of time on it. I was a bit apprehensive about starting out in the winter, but this advice is really useful and the photos have clinched it for me. I'll be at Mercia Marina initially so will have shore power, and the oil-filled radiator sounds like a good investment. I won't be able to go very far initially because of the stoppages, but I can practise single-handing a bit! Think I've decided that Christmas on board would actually be a great start to a boating life, even if I'm iced in.

Hi,

This is our Houdini hatch pictured from inside the boat during last winter. We have a Morso stove that's lit continuously during the winter months and yet this still happened.

10ehet3.jpg

Hope this helps!

I'm sure our Houdini hatches would have looked like that but I double glazed them both for about £20-00, rigid plastic panels which we take down and store behind the sofa in the warmer months.

Phil

I'm sure our Houdini hatches would have looked like that but I double glazed them both for about £20-00, rigid plastic panels which we take down and store behind the sofa in the warmer months.

Phil

Hi Phil,

That's not a bad idea, only if ever I'm given access to our galley (can't cook, won't cook), I need to open the houdini hatch to avert the bloody smoke alarm going off. I use that as a form of timer, when its siren begins to sound I know my toast is ready (and burnt to a sinder) :angry:

Jamie Orrible

I can practise single-handing a bit! Think I've decided that Christmas on board would actually be a great start to a boating life, even if I'm iced in.

Hi,

You're right about Christmas being a great start to boating life. We really do look forward to the changing seasons and my missus is a big soft kid at heart, she loves decorating the boat (inside and out) for the festivities.

With regard to being single-handed, there are numerous books/magazines on this subject which are worth reading if only

to be made aware of the safety aspect when cruising alone. Whilst voyaging down to Kinver this year, we encountered several lone sailors who were in their late seventies and early eighties. Whenever we meet these bravehearts, we always lock wheel them through to assist their passage. A warm smile and a nod of appreciation is reward enough for our efforts. :)

Mike

Audlem, December 2010

2sb9zma.jpg

I believe that this stunning photo was taken on the Lancaster Canal by another forum member (hope they don't mind).

The contrast in winter colours is remarkable, but none the less just as inviting!

9jf6h1.jpg

Mike