Ovens

Chris Pink

Featured Posts

Does anyone know of any oven only units suitable for a boat (ie no requirement for 240V)?

I have a Fulmar hob which is the most wonderful piece of equipment nice and fierce.

...but it don't cook a pie.

and, incidentally to this. I heard that there were recent safety changes to the output of hob burners to make them weaker. Is this a myth? or reality? and if so would it be simply a matter of changing jets to be able to make good jam (or chips) again?

Does anyone know of any oven only units suitable for a boat (ie no requirement for 240V)?

I have a Fulmar hob which is the most wonderful piece of equipment nice and fierce.

and, incidentally to this. I heard that there were recent safety changes to the output of hob burners to make them weaker. Is this a myth? or reality? and if so would it be simply a matter of changing jets to be able to make good jam (or chips) again?

or cook a decent steak - we struggle on the boat to get the pan hot enough so I'd be interested in this too. The heat output from our boat hob does seem less then the mains hob at home but I'd assumed this was due to differences in pressure.

ed to add - our oven is very similar to the ones you see in caravans - can't recall the make at the mo.

Jan successfully bakes in it no problem.

further ed to ad .

It's a Spinflo like this (though a slightly different version) -

109289.jpg

Edited by MJG

or cook a decent steak - we struggle on the boat to get the pan hot enough so I'd be interested in this too. The heat output from our boat hob does seem less then the mains hob at home but I'd assumed this was due to differences in pressure.

I don't think so as the Fulmar was running propane through a standard regulator.

Given that of the two of us I'd think you had the far greater knowledge on all things boat related, I'm surprised at your asking this as I've seen quite a few of these thingies about. So I think I'm probably misunderstanding your query, but in case I'm not, I've got one of these:

Spinflo Midi Prima

I've mounted it in a tall unit, but it can go under a hob, too. Is this what you meant?

Chris,

I assume you are meaning other than the bog standard "boat" built in oven, or oven grills, such as Vanette, Spinflo, etc ?

Certainly some of these are simple piezo ignition, no fans, and I feel sure still no 240 volt requirement.

IIRC Vanettes are no longer made under that name, but chandlers still basically sell a similar item, just not (I think) branded as such.

Cath does a lot of baking in our 16 year old built in Vanette, but I have to say it's hardly the largest oven around.

But I guess you are talking something fancier ?

Given that of the two of us I'd think you had the far greater knowledge on all things boat related, I'm surprised at your asking this as I've seen quite a few of these thingies about. So I think I'm probably misunderstanding your query, but in case I'm not, I've got one of these:

Spinflo Midi Prima

I've mounted it in a tall unit, but it can go under a hob, too. Is this what you meant?

yes, that's the kind of thing. Any good?

But I guess you are talking something fancier ?

no, not really, just having a "i know nothing" day. I don't know why i thought they might be obscure.

See above we have the same and Jan bakes in it just fine - it doesn't have a fan obviously (actually do any domestic gas ovens) so the heat doesn't get as well distributed as if it had one but as I say it bakes just fine if that is what you are after.

It has a separate grill too.

Trojan has an oven which looks rather similar to the one pictured above; it has a separate grill, and its ignition is achieved by pushing a button (is that a "piezzo"?) It's called a Country somethingorother; not on the boat at the moment so I can't check the rest of its name! Both the oven and the grill seem efficient.

no, not really, just having a "i know nothing" day. I don't know why i thought they might be obscure.

Having had a squint at say Midland Chandlers, it seems Stoves models need 240 volts for ignition.

Spinflo, it seems not.

This one says "oven/grill", but apparently not separate. It seems to be effectively a Vanette, and is on an offer at MC at the moment, it appears.

MC GG2200 Oven / Grill (Stainless)

Can't speak for this one, but our older Vanette is fine, if you don't need anything larger internally.

(Well, except when I have been known to open the door when the boat is cornering heavily - I have had "food on floor" incidents!)

yep, we recently changed a really old vanette for the spinflo pictured above. its really good. cakes, bread, roasts the lot. ours should be hooked up to 12 volt for ignition and internal light but we havent got that far yet, just using a lighter.

yep, we recently changed a really old vanette for the spinflo pictured above. its really good. cakes, bread, roasts the lot. ours should be hooked up to 12 volt for ignition and internal light but we havent got that far yet, just using a lighter.

As you have reassured me wonderfully about the cooking potential of my oven, can I assure you that when you do hook it up to the 12v, the oven lights up nicely and the ignition makes a pleasing spark. I've got my priorities wrong, haven't I?

We've got a Spinflo Midi – mainly because it was the only model we could find that was narrow enough to go through the cabin door.

Initially I had trouble with the oven – the flame kept lifting off the burner. It seemed as though the gas pressure was too high (which it wasn't).

It turned out, after much research, that I'd not followed the installation instructions carefully enough. Let me explain. The oven sits in an IKEA unit. The gas pipe is fed into the bottom of the stove via a hole in the shelf on which it sits. I'd made this hole large – about 8" in diameter instead of the 1" hole specified in the instructions. As a consquence the oven was over-ventilated. (I didn't know this was possible). Once I'd reduced the hole to the proper size, I had no further problems.

Edited by koukouvagia

As you have reassured me wonderfully about the cooking potential of my oven, can I assure you that when you do hook it up to the 12v, the oven lights up nicely and the ignition makes a pleasing spark. I've got my priorities wrong, haven't I?

You could keep the spark button held in perhaps?? and cook with the heat from that - might take some time to come to the correct temp though...

It turned out, after much research, that I'd not followed the installation instructions carefully enough. Let me explain. The oven sits in an IKEA unit. The gas pipe is fed into the bottom of the stove via a hole in the shelf on which it sits. I'd made this hole large – about 8" in diameter instead of the 1" hole specified in the instructions. As a consquence the oven was over-ventilated. (I didn't know this was possible). Once I'd reduced the hole to the proper size, I had no further problems.

Worth knowing!

We've got a Spinflo Midi – mainly because it was the only model we could find that was narrow enough to go through the cabin door.

Initially I had trouble with the oven – the flame kept lifting off the burner. It seemed as though the gas pressure was too high (which it wasn't).

Oooh, that's very interesting, as we have the same oven and the same problem, but only when the oven is first lit. In our case the fix may be difficult, as the back of the oven isn't really enclosed at all. Did you find the fix by trial-and-error, or did the manufacturers actually state that the enclosure is required to control the air flow?

MP.

positive spin, between us we have done a great job! :cheers:

Oooh, that's very interesting, as we have the same oven and the same problem, but only when the oven is first lit. In our case the fix may be difficult, as the back of the oven isn't really enclosed at all. Did you find the fix by trial-and-error, or did the manufacturers actually state that the enclosure is required to control the air flow?

MP.

The manual shows an installation diagram with the oven enclosed in a unit like the one I have. I've just looked again at this and it says that the ventilation hole must be min 50mm and max 70mm. (My recollection of 1" was wrong in the earlier post - sorry). I didn't consult Spinflo, so I don't know whether the oven is supposed to be enclosed. All I know is that when I followed the instructions about the size of the hole it worked.

There is also another problem, apart from the lifting flame, which I've got used to and had forgotten about. Unless you turn the gas up full when first lighting the oven, the flame goes out. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that, according to the manufacturers, the oven doesn't reach its full operating temperature for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes the regulator can be turned down to whatever setting you need.

I cook on an electric fan oven at home, and in comparison, my Spinflo Caprice III on the boat is a nightmare. The top gets hot enough, but you can pretty much hold your hand on the bottom. Have to keep shuffling things around to get more than one thing cooking.

I did see an ad or review in one of the mags a few months ago for a 12V cooker with fan and light. I'm sure that would be much better.

Not very impressed with build quality of the Spinflo either, considering how much they cost.

There are loads of household stuff available with lpg jets thrown in that take only five minutes to change an idiot can do I know because I have done ours. We have a Neff hob and a seperate centurion oven. They both have mains voltage plugs on them but we dont even connect them as it takes a whole 2.7 seconds to get the gas lighter jobby out of the drawere and light them, hardly a hardship. I specifically did my homework and found an oven without need to use the fan. I must say they are greatly better then the spinflo jobbies on the last boat and many narrow beam boats have enough room for them to be fitted, my mate has full size units and full size fridge and washing machine on his 57 foot narrowboat without any problems. :)

Not very impressed with build quality of the Spinflo either, considering how much they cost.

Certainly the Spinflo hob we used when we refitted our boat kitchen is a flimsier affair than the old Vanette it replaced, (we were being good - the Vanette pre-dated the flame failure requirement, and although not obliged to upgrade to that feature, we thought it wise to).

In practice at least two of the FFDs on the new hob are a nightmare, and can be the very devil to keep alight, however long you hold the button in.

So Spinflo hob quality I would say can be fairly poor - but I don't have experience of Spinflo ovens, I admit.

In practice at least two of the FFDs on the new hob are a nightmare, and can be the very devil to keep alight, however long you hold the button in.

one of my jobs this week is to fit an FFDO

edit: I've changed the name to something a little more elegant.

Edited by Chris Pink

The manual shows an installation diagram with the oven enclosed in a unit like the one I have. I've just looked again at this and it says that the ventilation hole must be min 50mm and max 70mm. (My recollection of 1" was wrong in the earlier post - sorry). I didn't consult Spinflo, so I don't know whether the oven is supposed to be enclosed. All I know is that when I followed the instructions about the size of the hole it worked.

Thanks, I'll have a think about the possibility of enclosing the base of our more closely to see if it has the same effect.

There is also another problem, apart from the lifting flame, which I've got used to and had forgotten about. Unless you turn the gas up full when first lighting the oven, the flame goes out. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that, according to the manufacturers, the oven doesn't reach its full operating temperature for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes the regulator can be turned down to whatever setting you need.

Hmm, that sounds like the opposite of the problem we have, which is that on a cold oven the flame will lift and even blow out unless the regulator is turned down. Once it's warmed up there no problem, either because the air flow changes once the oven is warm or the thermostat doesn't open to maximum gas flow, or a combination of the two.

MP.