Ovens

Chris Pink

Featured Posts

I know you said you wanted an oven that didn't need 240v but just thought I would mention that we have a domestic sized gas fan oven on the boat and it is fantastic. Heats up really quickly, the fan distributes the heat evenly. It does need mains power for fan, light and ignition but of course only at a small wattage. We have a 2.5kw inverter and a TravelPower, but I would have thought a small inverter could be used just to feed the oven.

In my opinion, caravan ovens will always be pants and the extra complication of mains power to run a "proper" gas fan oven is worth it. Ours is a Baumatic BO620SS.

There are loads of household stuff available with lpg jets thrown in that take only five minutes to change an idiot can do I know because I have done ours. We have a Neff hob and a seperate centurion oven. They both have mains voltage plugs on them but we dont even connect them as it takes a whole 2.7 seconds to get the gas lighter jobby out of the drawere and light them, hardly a hardship. I specifically did my homework and found an oven without need to use the fan. I must say they are greatly better then the spinflo jobbies on the last boat and many narrow beam boats have enough room for them to be fitted, my mate has full size units and full size fridge and washing machine on his 57 foot narrowboat without any problems. :)

I was beginning to wonder why all of the previous posts focused solely on 2 or 3 models. As long as the FFDs on the household ovens aren't reliant on mains power then there should be no problem.

or cook a decent steak - we struggle on the boat to get the pan hot enough so I'd be interested in this too. The heat output from our boat hob does seem less then the mains hob at home but I'd assumed this was due to differences in pressure.

My Baumatic hob is quite powerful and I generally cook on a low light - apart from boiling the kettle etc.

Perhaps your LPG pipework is restricting flow?

Edited by blackrose

I was beginning to wonder why all of the previous posts focused solely on 2 or 3 models. As long as the FFD isn't reliant on mains power then there should be no problem.

FFD's are not electricity dependant at all are they?

FFD's are not electricity dependant at all are they?

I don't know - I thought some kinds were?

Why is everyone so keen on Spinflo and Vanette ovens? What about all the other brands?

Is it a size issue?

Can these ovens be fitted into a standard kitchen carcass under a hob. Just wondering where all the heat goes?

Edited by blackrose

Our Spinflo hob has FFD's but no electrical supply to it.

The Spinflo oven we have has FFD's and has 12V for the ignition and the light only, not the FFD's

Our Spinflo hob has FFD's but no electrical supply to it.

The Spinflo oven we have has FFD's and has 12V for the ignition and the light only, not the FFD's

Yes, we have a Spinflo oven and grill and it's 12 volt.

However, when I looked at the stock at Midland Chandlers prior to deciding what to order, theirs was a 240 volt one. And when I asked about a 12 volt version they said Spinflo (or whoever makes Spinflo) didn't make one.

Fortunately I looked at the Spinflo web-site and found there is a 12 volt option.

But many of the alternative makes were mains voltage level or nothing.

The only slight problem we've found is that if you want to open the oven door when the grill door is already open (and we do sometimes want to use both at the same time) it will hit the grill door unless you partially close the grill to let the oven door past. Obviously that's hardly insurmountable but my wife thinks it must have been designed by a man!!

Bob.

Edited to remove a repeated word.

Edited by Canalfreak

However, when I looked at the stock at Midland Chandlers prior to deciding what to order, theirs was a 240 volt one. And when I asked about a 12 volt version they said Spinflo (or whoever makes Spinflo) didn't make one.

Fortunately I looked at the Spinflo web-site and found there is a 12 volt option.

But many of the alternative makes were mains voltage level or nothing.

The only slight problem we've found is that if you want to open the oven door when the grill door is already open (and we do sometimes want to use both at the same time) it will hit the grill door unless you partially close the grill to let the oven door past. Obviously that's hardly insurmountable but my wife thinks it must have been designed by a man!!

Bob.

Funny how women think sexism is acceptable when it's them that's doing it...

Funny how women think sexism is acceptable when it's them that's doing it...

Don't ee fret, my boy. That's not sexism, it's just a statement. It probably was designed by a man. Along with everything else in the kitchen. If she had to prepare a meal using things designed by women, it would be salad for tea every night it was her turn to cook. :P

(off to the norty step. "Oh, hello, John. Fancy seeing you here...")

Edited by Nine of Hearts

Bob.

It was designed by someone who decided that you couldn't, through total height restrictions, have the oven separated from the grill by a distance equal to the depth of the handle (and i assume fingers too - is that male fingers or female fingers?).

And I tend to agree.

Whether this is a gender related point, I can't see it.

Re-read the instructions. I was surprised when we bought a new double-oven for home that the instructions very clearly stated that the top door should always be closed when grilling. Perhaps yours states the same?

I've always grilled with the door open so I could watch the process, but (maybe for efficiency?) as stated, our new oven should not be used like that.

Tony

Quite a common "design feature" on double oven units.

Indeed. Probably for the reasons I've just suggested?

Re-read the instructions. I was surprised when we bought a new double-oven for home that the instructions very clearly stated that the top door should always be closed when grilling. Perhaps yours states the same?

I've always grilled with the door open so I could watch the process, but (maybe for efficiency?) as stated, our new oven should not be used like that.

The Spinflo Midi manual states categorically that the grill door must be kept open when in use.

Which shop did you go to? MC only do them with 12 volt ignition so I don't know why you were told that. Clicky.

Which shop did you go to? MC only do them with 12 volt ignition so I don't know why you were told that. Clicky.

You have to watch MC with the voltages. I've got a 12v oven and a 240v hob. Both bought at the same time with the same specifications. Always check the contents of the box. Alas, by the time I did I thought it was probably too late to swap it, and I've got 240v available so it's no big issue. They also supplied me with a 24v macerator in the same order, but I spotted that one.

Why is everyone so keen on Spinflo and Vanette ovens? What about all the other brands?

Is it a size issue?

Can these ovens be fitted into a standard kitchen carcass under a hob. Just wondering where all the heat goes?

We got a spinflow because of the size. I didn't have to mess around too much to get it in and the hob sat in the exsisting counter. It is only the light and the spark that needs 12v, the ffd works fine without power (tested) I guess one of those monster chef ovens wouldn't look out of place on yours! :)

Thanks.

I didn't fit a proper oven because on my last boat I never used it, but I'm coming around to the idea now.

Just wondering if I could install one below the hob and put the microwave somewhere else or get rid of it. Obviously the cupboard doors would have to come off. The hob is plumbed in with 1/2" pipe so Ting off shouldn't be a problem. I guess each appliance needs its own isolator, or is one isolator ok for hob & oven?

P1000688.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Thanks.

I didn't fit a proper oven because on my last boat I never used it, but I'm coming around to the idea now.

Just wondering if I could install one below the hob and put the microwave somewhere else or get rid of it. Obviously the cupboard doors would have to come off. The hob is plumbed in with 1/2" pipe so Ting off shouldn't be a problem. I guess each appliance needs its own isolator, or is one isolator ok for hob & oven?

P1000688.jpg

You have to have seperate isolators for the oven and the hob. We teed off the half inch to 3/8ths My hob is directly above my oven.

You need a few holes/vents to let oven heat out.

Edited by mrsmelly

I cook on an electric fan oven at home, and in comparison, my Spinflo Caprice III on the boat is a nightmare. The top gets hot enough, but you can pretty much hold your hand on the bottom. Have to keep shuffling things around to get more than one thing cooking.

But this is a good thing! How often do you need to cook lots of things at once that all need the same temperature, compared to how often you need to cook things together requiring different temperatures? I couldn't wait to get rid of my (house) fan oven for this very reason. The fan dried stuff out too.

Given that of the two of us I'd think you had the far greater knowledge on all things boat related, I'm surprised at your asking this as I've seen quite a few of these thingies about. So I think I'm probably misunderstanding your query, but in case I'm not, I've got one of these:

Spinflo Midi Prima

I've mounted it in a tall unit, but it can go under a hob, too. Is this what you meant?

We have one of these models also, pukka job.

Phil