PETS and FIREWORKS

bizzard

Featured Posts

My black cat Satchidanander the big alpha male Top-cat of our boatyard is now reduced to a limp jelly with fright,on my knee with his head buried under my arm trembling.

He's just whispered to me not to tell any of his mates. :rolleyes:

Edited by bizzard

In the past we had two Jack Russels, both at the same time. Niether of them were bothered by the fireworks. We now have a ruffy tuffy Staffie.

As I type she is a trembling wreck sat bolt upright in her bed with her ears 'glued' to her head, eyes popping out etc. We are trying to ignore the wizzes and bangs and not draw attention to them but she keeps mentioning them. Poor sod.

Martyn

In the past we had two Jack Russels, both at the same time. Niether of them were bothered by the fireworks. We now have a ruffy tuffy Staffie.

As I type she is a trembling wreck sat bolt upright in her bed with her ears 'glued' to her head, eyes popping out etc. We are trying to ignore the wizzes and bangs and not draw attention to them but she keeps mentioning them. Poor sod.

Martyn

Sing to her, in a high voice and she'll probably join in and so take her mind off the bangs.

We had to do this once with a pet dog,i had to keep him singing throughout the duration of thunder storms.

Some dogs (and cats for all I know) are really affected very badly by fireworks.

A friend has three terriers, one of which is scared ***tless by fireworks, but strangely will sit watching a shoot all day without a twitch, other than to scoot off and bring us a dead rat as a trophy. The same dog won't go for a bird and gets quite frustrated so I have to find a rat to bag for her!

My Leading Sea Cat isn't bothered in the slightest. She sleeps through it all, only occasionally raising her head. (And no she's not deaf!)

The other three hate them and hide out in small corners, but they do come out fairly quickly after they stop.

I think banging fireworks should be banned! There's no reason why they can't produce more silent or quieter ones. Plenty of people don't like the banging as well as pets, and you get no say in whether you wish to be assaulted by the noise or not.

Ah it is a shame, my four dogs hate it, we have the tv up loud, all the windows shut and porthole bungs inserted, but I can still hear the bloody fireworks, We are moored neared Stoke Bruerne and thought it would not be so bad,however there seems to letting up yet!! I was hoping it would p##s down with rain :-)

My Leading Sea Cat isn't bothered in the slightest. She sleeps through it all, only occasionally raising her head. (And no she's not deaf!)

The other three hate them and hide out in small corners, but they do come out fairly quickly after they stop.

I think banging fireworks should be banned! There's no reason why they can't produce more silent or quieter ones. Plenty of people don't like the banging as well as pets, and you get no say in whether you wish to be assaulted by the noise or not.

Agreed SC,most seem only interested in banging ones,very boring and rotten value for money. I like the old quiet Golden rains and Snow storms,Roman catholic's keep doing irregular bangs too. :rolleyes:

We are looking after our foster Airedale for the week because of the firwork. She has been fine until this evening and we have now had to give her 10mg valium (vet prescribed) and she has calmed down a bit now.

Our two are totally not bothered at all.

We are looking after our foster Airedale for the week because of the firwork. She has been fine until this evening and we have now had to give her 10mg valium (vet prescribed) and she has calmed down a bit now.

Our two are totally not bothered at all.

Try the singing thing,once they start they'll howl in tune with you.

Redditch used to be or maybe still be the centre of the needle and pin making industry.

Well they used to sell most of their waste metal grinding dust to firework companies to make crackly type fireworks like sparklers.

Try the singing thing,once they start they'll howl in tune with you.

Redditch used to be or maybe still be the centre of the needle and pin making industry.

Well they used to sell most of their waste metal grinding dust to firework companies to make crackly type fireworks like sparklers.

Might get my guitar out as well and try that lol

Just taken my border collie Rebel out for a walk and he took it all in his stride. I wouldn't say he is a fan of fireworks but he wasn't going to let it spoil his evening walk, he is the epitome of canine cool. B)

My best friend and the best dog I have ever been owned by, he has this entire family wrapped round his paw. :wub:

We had to re-home one of our dogs, a beaded collie because she got worse and worse with fireworks to the point that even seeing or hearing whiz-bangs on TV would set her off. She went to the chairman of the Bearded Collie Assc who lived miles from anywhere.

We also had a hand reared Budgie and a hand reared Cockatiel (raised by us from abandoned eggs) both birds dropped dead after a whizbang burst over our boat. So I for one would ban all but organised displays.

Phil

Puppeh loves to watch fireworks if outside.....actively digs her heels in to stay and watch, but doesn't like loud bangs when inside the boat, so we put chill out music on for her...Enigma seems to do the trick for her! At 30kg of cross ridgeback, she's a hefty puppeh to comfort on my lap!!

My Jack Russel Jasper who died last june 20th.18.5 years old[still grieving]was deaf as a post in later years.When he was young I'd never take him shooting as I believe if I need earmuffs so does the dog.We have a Whippet [Rosie]any bangs at all she shivers and shakes.Two days ago we had massive thunder storms and Rosie was really distressed,I had to put her in my 4wd and put some load music on and drive around,she settled down straight away.When we arrived back home I drove into the shed then couldn't get out for ten minutes because of torrential rain,I had to stand there with my hands over her ears[tin roof] untill it eased off.Fireworks are banned over here unless it's organised.I suppose there's not much chance off starting a bushfire in the U.K. in winter.When they do have them at new year for instance on the harbour[Albany]there are dogs everywhere running around in apanic.We live five miles outside of the town and they even run out this far.

Puppeh loves to watch fireworks if outside.....actively digs her heels in to stay and watch, but doesn't like loud bangs when inside the boat, so we put chill out music on for her...Enigma seems to do the trick for her! At 30kg of cross ridgeback, she's a hefty puppeh to comfort on my lap!!

Ooh yes, a bit too big to be a laptop lapdog. :unsure:

11.30pm and it's still going off outside, and Kiki our miniature schnauzer is a shaking, quivering wreck. Best thing about tonight was a drive from London to Manchester. We left London just as everything was starting and enjoyed three hours worth of silent firework displays as we drove north listening to music. Dog perfectly happy snoozing, strapped in on the back set. Might just drive around for the evening next time. This time bought one of those 'calming' collars...appears to be useless.

Its strange as my dog is usually quite jumpy but the fireworks havent really bothered him and when we went out before he was looking up to the sky at them! But Im' getting really fed up off them now....been going on all day (why do people let fireworks off in the day?! 1 in the afternoon?!)