Winter job Nottingham - very excited!

Ange

Featured Posts

When we embarked on our living afloat the idea was that we'd cruise during the summer, then I'd get a winter contract which would see us through the next summer. That worked beautifully in our first winter afloat (2009/10) when I got myself a very nice contract in Manchester. Come winter 2010/11 we were on the Lancaster Canal and I couldn't find myself a job for love nor money. We knew that if I didn't get one this year we'd be in deep doo doo.

Just got myself one!!! I'm thrilled to ickle pieces!! Only 3 months at the mo but I'm sure once I've proved my worth I can stretch that to 6 months. We're currently the Birmingham side of the Curdworth Tunnel on the B&F and they wanted me to start on Monday - I had to delay the start date till Wednesday cos the job is in Nottingham and we've got to get our boat there!

This thread is partly to share my joy with my friends cos I've just come back from celebrating down the pub with Dave, but also to ask about mooring opportunities in or around Nottingham. I'll be working at the Nottingham University Hospital City campus in north Nottingham, and would prefer somewhere where I won't have to drive but can get there by public transport. Over the weekend I'll be doing lots of googling but any advice from locals would be very helpful.

Short days now for serious boating - we're off at daylight tomorrow to get ourselves into the area!

Woo hoo!

You could try Sawley Marina Ange

It is close to Long Eaton and from there you can get a train into Nottingham easily. Public transport in Nottingham is good (I especially like the tram and I reckon it will take you to North Nottingham)

On the other hand there are moorings at Nottingham Castle marina which is close to the city centre on the Nottingham Beeston canal within walking distance of the town centre which might do you for a little while. There appear to be moorings along the length of the canal too if you don't fancy the marina

Edited by Bazza2

When we embarked on our living afloat the idea was that we'd cruise during the summer, then I'd get a winter contract which would see us through the next summer. That worked beautifully in our first winter afloat (2009/10) when I got myself a very nice contract in Manchester. Come winter 2010/11 we were on the Lancaster Canal and I couldn't find myself a job for love nor money. We knew that if I didn't get one this year we'd be in deep doo doo.

Just got myself one!!! I'm thrilled to ickle pieces!! Only 3 months at the mo but I'm sure once I've proved my worth I can stretch that to 6 months. We're currently the Birmingham side of the Curdworth Tunnel on the B&F and they wanted me to start on Monday - I had to delay the start date till Wednesday cos the job is in Nottingham and we've got to get our boat there!

This thread is partly to share my joy with my friends cos I've just come back from celebrating down the pub with Dave, but also to ask about mooring opportunities in or around Nottingham. I'll be working at the Nottingham University Hospital City campus in north Nottingham, and would prefer somewhere where I won't have to drive but can get there by public transport. Over the weekend I'll be doing lots of googling but any advice from locals would be very helpful.

Short days now for serious boating - we're off at daylight tomorrow to get ourselves into the area!

Woo hoo!

thats good news .jobs are hard to come by at the mo .bob :cheers:

We are really thrilled for you Ange - well done!

I am sorry I can't help with info on mooring or public transport in the area but I did want to congratulate you on getting the job. The little I do know about Nottingham is that it does appear (from a car drivers point of view) to have excellent public transport.

The Castle Marina is easy walking distance from QMC and that part of the Uni campus - I used to live close to there when I was a student. Handy for supermarket and the town centre too. I recall there were some towpath moorings as well as those in the marina, but don't know if they're visitor, long-term or marina owned.

Other than that, I don't know the Nottingham system at all (one to explore at Easter) but wanted to say a big congrats on the job :)

Edited by Circe

Castle Marina, or the towpath nearby, is the obvious choice, as this location enables you to walk into work, thus avoiding the drain on finance which is using public transport. You might find yourself living rather too much on produce from Sainsbury's.

However, it's also a slight canal walk from the southern centre of Nottingham, surfacing near the Railway station or the Broadmarsh shopping centre. If you have the time when you first arrive it's work boating past the marina until the next lock. You may have to go through the wide lock in order to wind. The winding area, near an old Trent Navigation / BW warehouse has a very busy night life, so although you can moor nearby on the towpath overnight I can't recommend it.

Travelling beyond there to the River Trent is OK for interest, and would make an useful weekend trip out just to see the sights, but that stretch of canal is possibly too quiet for a comfortable mooring. Not quiet enough to be isolated, but too quiet to have the security of a lot passers by.*

Another not so obvious possibility is Beeston Rylands, on the Beeston Canal. There are boatyard facilities along there, with a lot of linear mooring. Go slow, and keep your eyes open, as you pass by on the way to the Castle Marina location. With a slight walk you can get to public transport (bus) along a main route into Nottingham that will drop you off outside one of the entrances to the University Hospital. Be aware it's a big campus, there can be a lot of walking after you get through the gate. A bicycle would be a viable alternative if you were out at Beeston Rylands, saving the public transport finance drain, although security of the bike would need some attention, and might carry it's own one off cost.

Although at BR your walk will take you past a railway station, there is no equivalent facility near the Hospital.

*Going past this area onto the Trent itself is another prospect worth considering. Colwick Marina may have suitable moorings, although I'm not sure of the Public Transport arrangements.

The Nottingham tram is deservedly popular, and is extremely crowded at commute times, but it doesn't go near the University Hospital, nor Colwick.

If you are using Public Transport it will be the bus service run by Nottingham City Transport.

Good Luck.

Well done Ange! Glad to hear you will be nearby over winter....not quite as near as we hoped, but near enough!

Sawley is indeed quite a close drive and they usually have moorings. It's a BW marina, not in the best spot for shops etc but has laundrettes etc. Not far of a drive to work. Castle is lots nearer of course but don't know the mooring situation. Shardlow isn't too far either. No chance at Crockers, but the main marina may have space? We were there at the start of our boaty life. Big marina but good pontoon system if the river goes into flood. Some nice pubs around there too!!

Well done anyway, look forward to meeting up again sometime xx

snip

Castle Marina, or the towpath nearby, is the obvious choice, as this location enables you to walk into work,

snip

I had always thought that the city campus was out towards Hucknall, which i would say was unwalkable from any section of the canal. If it is this site, then the tram passes within a mile or so, but you can use the medilink service,

tram maps

HTH

Regards

Dan

I had always thought that the city campus was out towards Hucknall, which i would say was unwalkable from any section of the canal. If it is this site, then the tram passes within a mile or so, but you can use the medilink service,

tram maps

HTH

Regards

Dan

Damn (me).

You are correct, "Nottingham University Hospital City campus in north Nottingham," . I'd focused on the Nottingham University Hospital, and missed the "City campus in north Nottingham," possibly because I 'knew' the main site.

As you say, the City Hospital is on the Hucknall road out of Nottingham, just outside the Ring Road, and some sort of transport is a must (I don't know Medi-Link) if starting from a Canal.

From your maps link "If you need to get to the City Hospital or Queen’s Medical Centre, you can connect with Medilink at Wilkinson Street tram stop, running every 10 minutes on weekdays between 8am and 6pm.".

This means that if moored around Castle Marina or 'before' Town Lock, it's a reasonable walk to the tram termunus at the Railway Station. The advantage of this is that as it's a terminus the rider has the best chance of getting a seat during busy times, at least on the outward bound trips.

I suspect Beeston Rylands is not viable, as I bet any public transport takes you into the City Centre, then out again towards the City Hospital. Long and expensive.

Thanks for the correction.

Adding to the above, the Medilink bus runs between the hospital campuses (campii?). So if you opted for Castle Marina, you'd walk to QMC which is hardly any distance and then hop the Medilink bus (free) to get to the City Hospital campus. It runs every twenty minutes or so I think. And it goes round the QMC site as part of its route, so you can go into the QMC campus at the bottom (by the NHS Treatment Centre) and it'll pick you up at one of the stops there.

Other marinas - Beeston Rylands, Sawley and Shardlow - will still allow you to get to Nottingham pretty easily ... the Indigo bus goes past the end of Sawley marina and through Beeston and drops off at QMC. Or there is Wyvern Marina in Long Eaton .. just up the Erewash Canal(http://www.pjbarberboatbuilderltd.co.uk/Wyvern.aspx). Little known about but seems fine. Buses will cost so you'd need to factor that in. And at Castle Marina you've got Sainsburys (which has a Starbucks!!) almost by the boat!

I have good boaty chums who have all either moored or moor at these marinas (we moor further away but live in Long Eaton which is why I know a bit about it), so I can do some checking up for you if you like .. PM me!

Try Langley Mill Boatyard where we have happily moored for longer than I care to remember. The Nottingham bus passes the gates and there are all the usual services including three supermarkets within walking distance. It is also very secure. Regards, HughC.

Woo hoo!

many congratulations you happy times always :)