Winter job Nottingham - very excited!

Ange

Featured Posts

Wow - so many replies, good wishes and great advice! I'm still feeling on top of the world, I must admit I was in quite a low place after not getting a job last winter. The previous interview I had the week before went really badly, with the interviewer focussing on my "periods of unemployment" and making me feel generally worthless. I'm usually a very confident interviewee but I could feel the confidence draining out of me, and was worried it would turn into a catch 22 situation and I'd not be able to land a job again.

Thanks so much to all the people who have wished me well, and thanks to the great advice I've been offered by locals, which (apart from the fact I was tipsy and wanted to share my good news :D) is why I started this thread last night. We've made a note of the suggested marinas and we'll visit them as soon as we're in the area, which should be Monday. In the meantime Dave's going to drive me to work from wherever we happen to be temporarily moored (teehee @ Stuart!)

So much to think about in such a short time! I'll keep you posted :)

Wow - so many replies, good wishes and great advice! I'm still feeling on top of the world, I must admit I was in quite a low place after not getting a job last winter. The previous interview I had the week before went really badly, with the interviewer focussing on my "periods of unemployment" and making me feel generally worthless. I'm usually a very confident interviewee but I could feel the confidence draining out of me, and was worried it would turn into a catch 22 situation and I'd not be able to land a job again.

Thanks so much to all the people who have wished me well, and thanks to the great advice I've been offered by locals, which (apart from the fact I was tipsy and wanted to share my good news :D) is why I started this thread last night. We've made a note of the suggested marinas and we'll visit them as soon as we're in the area, which should be Monday. In the meantime Dave's going to drive me to work from wherever we happen to be temporarily moored (teehee @ Stuart!)

Ange!

(Josi and I are) Delighted for you - really chuffed.

Others have a better knowledge of transport in Nottingham - but Josi and I moved to over-winter in Sawley a few weeks ago - and have to say it's fairly pleasant here - good access to a number of waterways to play on, the Marina is reasonably well run, there's a number of rather well-run pubs here, and - if you decide to come here - you now know that there's at least a couple of forewarned friendly faces .

Wherever you decide to tie-up - - sincere congrats - and you must come round and see us . .

Cheeripips

Dave n Josi

Result!!!!!!!! :D

the moorings in front of the "county hall" on the Trent (between trent bridge and the suspension bridge)are owned by the county council not BW or the EA ,so they can't move you on ,there's a cruiser being refitted there by two guys living on a wide beam ,theyv'e been there all summer !, it's not an ideal location for your work place ,but there is plenty of bus's into the city.

the moorings in front of the "county hall" on the Trent (between trent bridge and the suspension bridge)are owned by the county council not BW or the EA ,so they can't move you on ,there's a cruiser being refitted there by two guys living on a wide beam ,theyv'e been there all summer !, it's not an ideal location for your work place ,but there is plenty of bus's into the city.

Sounds pretty ideal to me given the convenient proximity to the hallowed turf of Nottingham Forest... even if you do have to pass their poorer relation Notts County on yer way in ;)

Well done Ange, we are really pleased for you!

As others have said the public transport including the Medilink service are all really good, its really easy to get around and although the City campus is north of the city you won't have any problems getting there. I worked in Nottingham for years and loved the city.

Enjoy! (& definitely do the caves)

Ali (& John)

Well life just got a bit more interesting. We've got as far as Whittington on the Coventry Canal and Dave noticed rather more water in the bilge than should be expected. It's turned out that a seal on the raw water pump has gone (the pump was brand new a couple of months ago!) so we're stuck here till it's sorted. The good news is that we're not very far from Tamworth, which has a direct railway line to Nottingham, so I can commute if the boat isn't fixed on time for me to start work on Wednesday.

Not being able to charge the batteries in the meantime is a bit of a bugger though - we had to force ourselves to go down the pub tonight so I could charge the laptop up!

Life's never boring when you live on a boat is it!

PS thanks for the continuing messages of support and advice :cheers:

Edited to change Willington to Whittington - there really is no hope for me is there when I don't know where I am!!!

Edited by Ange

Well life just got a bit more interesting. We've got as far as Willington on the Coventry Canal and Dave noticed rather more water in the bilge than should be expected. It's turned out that a seal on the raw water pump has gone (the pump was brand new a couple of months ago!) so we're stuck here till it's sorted. The good news is that we're not very far from Tamworth, which has a direct railway line to Nottingham, so I can commute if the boat isn't fixed on time for me to start work on Wednesday.

Not being able to charge the batteries in the meantime is a bit of a bugger though - we had to force ourselves to go down the pub tonight so I could charge the laptop up!

Life's never boring when you live on a boat is it!

PS thanks for the continuing messages of support and advice :cheers:

This is one reason I wished I still lived in Tamworth - I think it is the only reason but I have family in the area so if you need help just ask (Son in law has an impressive toolkit for fixing mechanican type stuff too!)

This is one reason I wished I still lived in Tamworth - I think it is the only reason but I have family in the area so if you need help just ask (Son in law has an impressive toolkit for fixing mechanican type stuff too!)

Thanks Jan - fortunately Dave also has an impressive set of tools (giggle) and he's sorted the problem. We're too late to get the boat to Nottingham on time so we're going to wind tomorrow and head into Tamworth so I can catch the train easily this week. We'll set off for Nottingham on Saturday and should be there my midday Sunday.

The sound of the engine humming away in the background has never seemed so sweet!!

Ahhh - Nottingham - the site of many a dodgy encounter in my single days at Rock City on alternative nights! Happy days indeed!

My best mate at school is Professor of Molecular Virology & Director of Postgraduate Education at the QMC - so if you bump into Professor J.K. Ball, say hello from me, and just give him a little surprise by calling him Joddy Bollock - which was his handle at school!

Haven't been out down there in - whew - decades now probably - but the Trip to Jerusalem, the Old Salutation, The Bell and plenty of others are well worth a visit.

Enjoy!!

Andy

two things spring to mind here.

1. moor with a chain loosely fitted but secured firmly at both ends. stops the chavs setting you adrift on a flowing river

2. it floods badly in prolonged rain.

Great Northern Basin/cromford canal moorings would be my prefered stop

Ahhh - Nottingham - the site of many a dodgy encounter in my single days at Rock City on alternative nights! Happy days indeed!

My best mate at school is Professor of Molecular Virology & Director of Postgraduate Education at the QMC - so if you bump into Professor J.K. Ball, say hello from me, and just give him a little surprise by calling him Joddy Bollock - which was his handle at school!

Haven't been out down there in - whew - decades now probably - but the Trip to Jerusalem, the Old Salutation, The Bell and plenty of others are well worth a visit.

Enjoy!!

Andy

Aha so if I meet this eminent Professor I'm to say "hello Joddy Bollock" from Andy :lol:

I'm really looking forward to wintering in Nottingham and will be starting a thread in the VP once we get settled asking for advice on live music venues :)

two things spring to mind here.

1. moor with a chain loosely fitted but secured firmly at both ends. stops the chavs setting you adrift on a flowing river

2. it floods badly in prolonged rain.

Great Northern Basin/cromford canal moorings would be my prefered stop

I am insisting on a bit of security and peace of mind this winter, we were iced in in the Lancaster Basin last year and lying awake listening to the yobs chucking stuff on the ice wasn't much fun. On the other hand we do quite like the idea of being within walking distance of the City centre - a happy medium is sought.

Congratulations on finding a job. Great news :cheers:

Cant really add much more than the others have already said. The BW moorings outside Castle Marina is our favourite mooring spot in Nottingham, worth seeing if they are offering winter moorings there. Ideal for the shops, city centre and public transport.

We have moored on the river before outside the council offices but it didnt feel as safe and was a little isolated plus the river levels can fluctuate a lot during the winter months.

Only just seen this, so very sorry for my extreme lateness in adding my congratulations. Nice things happening to nice people is always a Hurray. Can't offer any practical advice about Nottingham, though, but with my track record it would probbly be best to ignore it if I did.

Edited by Nine of Hearts

Blimey that was the week that was for me! The commute to work has meant leaving the boat at 6.20 to arrive just before 9, and then not arriving back until 8pm - I've not posted before because I've been too knackered! The first day I got it horribly wrong. I thought it'd be an easy walk from Nottingham railway station to QMC where I could pick up a free bus to the City campus. In trainers it would have been, but I was wearing my work shoes, and I haven't worked for 18 months so my feet are only used to comfy shoes, and it was over 2 miles.

I've still got the blisters and sore bits on my feet.

Anyways, got it sussed yesterday and today. Get off train, walk up to tram station, get train to Wilkinson Street, catch Medilink free bus, home and dry with no walking. I'm loving the tram - it wends its way through residential streets after it leaves the City. We're really looking forward to exploring Nottingham while we're there.

Anyways, the other thing was lack of sleep. I've not worked for 18 months and I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to get up in the morning (anyone that knows me even slightly will confirm that I am a very late starter in the morning!) So I awoke at 3am, 4am then 5am and then every 10 minutes until I had to get up at 6am, each time shouting to Dave "shit, have I overslept". Poor Dave's even more knackered than I am and he hasn't been to work!

I know I'm waffling. I've treated myself to some pink wine tonight to celebrate the end of my first part week at work and some money coming into our bank account at last. On the work front it was great - I'm working with a good team of people who are welcoming and supportive. It really does feel good to be back in the workplace. My feelings on working for the NHS compared with private sector will remain my own for a while, let's just say it's very different.

Damn, should have bought some Maltesers to go with the wine!

Blimey that was the week that was for me! The commute to work has meant leaving the boat at 6.20 to arrive just before 9, and then not arriving back until 8pm - I've not posted before because I've been too knackered! The first day I got it horribly wrong. I thought it'd be an easy walk from Nottingham railway station to QMC where I could pick up a free bus to the City campus. In trainers it would have been, but I was wearing my work shoes, and I haven't worked for 18 months so my feet are only used to comfy shoes, and it was over 2 miles.

I've still got the blisters and sore bits on my feet.

Anyways, got it sussed yesterday and today. Get off train, walk up to tram station, get train to Wilkinson Street, catch Medilink free bus, home and dry with no walking. I'm loving the tram - it wends its way through residential streets after it leaves the City. We're really looking forward to exploring Nottingham while we're there.

Anyways, the other thing was lack of sleep. I've not worked for 18 months and I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to get up in the morning (anyone that knows me even slightly will confirm that I am a very late starter in the morning!) So I awoke at 3am, 4am then 5am and then every 10 minutes until I had to get up at 6am, each time shouting to Dave "shit, have I overslept". Poor Dave's even more knackered than I am and he hasn't been to work!

I know I'm waffling. I've treated myself to some pink wine tonight to celebrate the end of my first part week at work and some money coming into our bank account at last. On the work front it was great - I'm working with a good team of people who are welcoming and supportive. It really does feel good to be back in the workplace. My feelings on working for the NHS compared with private sector will remain my own for a while, let's just say it's very different.

Damn, should have bought some Maltesers to go with the wine!

Voila!

images28.jpg

Ive just gone back to work after three weeks off on holiday an couldnt get in the rythym glad you are getting sorted even though the commute sounds a chew

Stuart

I've had a few knock backs that had seriously dented my confidence so I'm on top of the world right now :D

:clapping: Well done too!

Never worry about your ability to do the task. Skills take years to acquire and don't disappear overnight!

Good luck with the job and keep on cruising (in the summer) :)

Mike