Boat Insurance

theguitardoctor

Featured Posts

Hello again,

Maybe someone can clear this up as I'm not fully aware of the whole boat insurance set up and how it works.

I've tried a few online comparison type sites, and they all come back with a 3rd party quote..?

I understand 3rd party on a car, but wondered if this is the same for boats?

Can you get comprehensive insurance...?

Do I even need it..?

Not that I plan it, but I take it 3rd party covers me running into another boat..?

What about the contents as I'm living aboard...would these be covered on 3rd party?

I filled in the sections about the hull value, but it doesn't mention how that's covered..is it covered?

I've tried to read what these policies cover but all you can do is actually go ahead and accept the insurance when you click the link, and not read the ins and outs of cover....

Any help much appreciated .. :help:

p.s I will still have a home address as I have an address for business if this is of use..

Cheers, Rich

p.s I will still have a home address as I have an address for business if this is of use..

I would really advise against not telling the insurance company that this is your home (if that is what you meant). They will simply consider it as a completely different risk to a leisure boat (more or less risky you could argue all day about), but it is the change in the risk that would give them the excuse not to pay out in the event of a loss. My understanding is that insurance companies love to wriggle off the hook when looking a paying out on a claim.

Not quite shore, what you are trying to find out, the cover will be whatever you ask for over and above the 'standard' policy.

The 'standard' policy will have a lot of small print, as per usual, every policy will be different depending on the company supplying.

You could always ask to see a sample policy.

The only cover you definitely need is 3rd party up to £3,000,000, they all have that.

Otherwise you pays your money and hope you do not have to claim.

Hello again,

Maybe someone can clear this up as I'm not fully aware of the whole boat insurance set up and how it works.

I've tried a few online comparison type sites, and they all come back with a 3rd party quote..?

I understand 3rd party on a car, but wondered if this is the same for boats?

Can you get comprehensive insurance...?

Do I even need it..?

Not that I plan it, but I take it 3rd party covers me running into another boat..?

What about the contents as I'm living aboard...would these be covered on 3rd party?

I filled in the sections about the hull value, but it doesn't mention how that's covered..is it covered?

I've tried to read what these policies cover but all you can do is actually go ahead and accept the insurance when you click the link, and not read the ins and outs of cover....

Any help much appreciated .. :help:

Cheers, Rich

Hi

I have been with the same insurance company for over twenty years they will do any cover you want. They will do liveaboard full cover and it even says it on my policy and no need for a mooring there is no problem with them at all and when I sold and changed my boat a couple of months ago they changed over immediately without charge at all, and they are reasonable cost wise. I never shop around they maybe a tad dearer than some but my brother in law went with them five years ago and had a damage claim last year which they paid immediately without problem. :)

I've been with Craftinsure for 7 years and currently have my liveaboard and another small boat insured with them. I have always found them very helpful and approachable. I spoke to them this week and told them that we may be buying a new liveaboard and asked whether it made any difference to the cost being a liveaboard. They told me that it makes no difference at all as it is the boat that is insured and living aboard or not is irrelevant to them.

Roger

I will say this again for the benefit of others even though it might not suit the OP; if you want cheap no frills cover google Basic Boat Liability. Sixty nine pounds for £1m third party and £5m salvage cover. No requirement for a survey. Particularly suitable for older and lower value boats and for people who would do their own repairs rather than claim. It covers you for the potentially expensive stuff and meets the licencing requirements.