Heron Boat Owners

Featured Posts

For anyone who owns a Heron Narrow Boat..... :-

Heron Boat Owners Section

I would just like to say, that even though Heron Boatbuilders have now ceased to be, they did build a nice boat, the shell design, and fit outs were done with flair and imagination.... and although the actions of certain people may be brought to question (hopefully) over financial matters to do with the running the company, I know first hand that the lads on the shop floor had a lot of pride in their work, and went out of their way to make sure your boat was exactly what you wanted....Spare a thought to the poor guys who have now lost their jobs, because it was these guys who built the boats! not the management....

So I hereby thank the workforce for building excellent boats!

Edited by Jon

....Spare a thought to the poor guys who have now lost their jobs, because it was these guys who built the boats! not the management....

Well said, minerva......no arguing with that...

Exactly....

Its the lads on the floor putting the darn thing together not the lard a*&" in the office taking all the dosh thats building you boat....(or two lard "£$%^& in the office.....no there were 3!!!!) :)

I was just trying to think how many workers they had?....they are well into double figures....

I wish now I knew the names(or could remember the names of the lads who built our boat).....they were always smiling and cheerful every time we went down......

I know the two who built our shell used to have their own business shell building, then they went to Heron....I think they were formerley from/were M&D boatbuilders?? and the fella in the next bay, who used to work for British Steel as a welder, he actually did our shell sides, as I had pulled the lads legs that much about making the sides straight, they got him to weld the sides for fear of them not being straight!! LOL :)

Then there was the lad who fitted our shell out, a tall fella about 35ish....can't remember his name....but he added one or two nice little features I asked for.....

Very sad........for the people who didn't get their boats :)

&

To the lads now out of work.... :)

Edited by minerva

Hi.

I may have fallen into the mess at the Heron's collapse but you are spot on about the workforce. I wanted a six foot canopy made to cover the semi trad stern and convert it into trad.

I sat one dinner hour with our fabricator and he was great, he took my idea and made it out of aluminum. I jokingly said to him, was this a design on the back of a cig packet and he laughed, a great guy.

The only set back to this wonderful design was it is now missing, lost in turmoil and public auction. Well I guess it's back the drawing board (cig packet) and round two.

I do know that some of the guys from Heron's have found new jobs, so thats good. Some may get a bit of work at Gary's while the extra Heron work is there, I hope so. This will give them some breathing space until something more permanant comes up. Just hope the people that caused this mess do not walk away scot free. The out of work workforce and the out of pocket boat buyers deserve some justice :) .

Mick & Pauline.

Indeed...

This is a many fold problem, isn't it?

For examle, will Heron only be remembered for going bankrupt, from now on?, the fact that they did build some very lovely boats, being somewhat swept to the back now... :) And I know they did build some very lovely boats! Because I bought one!

I wasn't a newbie when I set out researching to buy this boat, I have owned before, for several years, so I knew the players in the field, so to speak..... & I looked round the plethora of boat builders!, But Heron clinched my order. Not because of any flash patter.....But because the shell design was lovely with the sweeping curvey josher bow, and the nice interiors with scrolls and the like on the detail on the edgings to things...

The over all product was very, very nice indeed.....

Pray, let us not forget it wasn't all bad.....

I think that I can speak for all of us that have been caught up in the Heron collapse,in saying that we had and still have nothing but praise for the staff and their workmanship (production not admin) and the fact that we all went their for our boats is proof of that.

Our disapointment is with those two who sat at the front desk,although one of them seemed to always be hid in his office,and the way we were still being asked for money when they knew they were going under,we all just want him to come out of hiding and explain to us what happened.

me and Paula just want to now move forward and try and salvage our dream of having a life on the water,and we both hope that all the lads from Heron find work,and with their skills that should be sooner rather than later.

Roy n Paula :blush:

memebers of the Heron Survivors Club

I think that I can speak for all of us that have been caught up in the Heron collapse,in saying that we had and still have nothing but praise for the staff and their workmanship (production not admin) and the fact that we all went their for our boats is proof of that.

Our disapointment is with those two who sat at the front desk,although one of them seemed to always be hid in his office,and the way we were still being asked for money when they knew they were going under,we all just want him to come out of hiding and explain to us what happened.

me and Paula just want to now move forward and try and salvage our dream of having a life on the water,and we both hope that all the lads from Heron find work,and with their skills that should be sooner rather than later.

Roy n Paula :blush:

memebers of the Heron Survivors Club

Hear Hear !! :blush:

Mick

I'm a firm believer that if you have good skills and produce quality work you wont have a problem finding another job - it might not be building boats - but people always want chippys and fabricators.

I have started a Heron Boat Owners webby page, on my site, for anyone with a Heron boat to join and link to us with your site or just post a photo of your boat.... but I cant tell you my site's address, as it will be removed from here...

This is something I'm doing for the right reasons, as I feel we have to step forward from this together, like it or no, there are Heron boats out there, about 170! and I for one just want to say that just because they the(management) are of a questionable morality, their boats happened to be very nice indeed....and will always be recognisable by their nice sweeping lines and the etched heron on the rudder....

over & out for now.....

I have started a Heron Boat Owners webby page, on my site, for anyone with a Heron boat to join and link to us with your site or just post a photo of your boat.... but I cant tell you my site's address, as it will be removed from here...

This is something I'm doing for the right reasons, as I feel we have to step forward from this together, like it or no, there are Heron boats out there, about 170! and I for one just want to say that just because they the(management) are of a questionable morality, their boats happened to be very nice indeed....and will always be recognisable by their nice sweeping lines and the etched heron on the rudder....

over & out for now.....

Hi Minerva

Glad to see that you're still in touch with the canal also being interactive with the rest of us, and so organised as well.

Au revoir :blush:

Hi Minerva.

There is no reason why you can't post your site address on the forum, it is only links with your signature that is not allowed.

over & out for now.....

Hi Minerva,

Can the last ten boats out of Heron's have a sub section on your webby site for the Survivors Club because I am still quite proud of my etched rudder :blush: . It will look even better when the rest of the boat is finished :blush: .

Mick.

Mick & Pauline.... done...the Heron Survivors Club page..

Hi Minerva,

Thanks for page on the web site :blush: .

I look forward to the link and will pass the info on the others in the survivors group.

Gary,

I think it's the middle bird because there is nothing left on the bone to get your teeth into. :blush:

Mick.

If anyone wants pages on the heron club survivors website could they please ask on there. Thank you. This subject is being locked for now since there is perhaps enough information for all to follow. minerva/wyndlass if you PM me with the link then I will check and add it for you.